Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Steel Target Setup

Feedback Score
    Appreciate the Savage Range Systems document. Lots of good information in there for someone setting up a range. At our place, we have had a lot of success with numerous shepherd's crooks designed for hanging potted plants. These are cheap and readily available at your local home improvement store. Just step on them to plant them in the dirt and hang your round steel targets on them. These are just fine for 4" round targets up to 3/8" 10" or 12" rounds, though if your soil is damp or loose they may not handle the weight of the 12" targets. Also, they allow the targets to move a little, absorbing some of the energy of each round. Ours have lasted well.

Feedback Score
    I like the T post for a mounting platform. They are cheap, tough, light and have a tiny footprint. I can hang multiple targets on just one post too. I have this setup at 450 yards on one 7' post. The bottom plate is 24" which I use for a sighter. The top plate is 8".

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vinconco View Post
    I like the T post for a mounting platform. They are cheap, tough, light and have a tiny footprint. I can hang multiple targets on just one post too. I have this setup at 450 yards on one 7' post. The bottom plate is 24" which I use for a sighter. The top plate is 8".

+1 for the T post set up. I've adapted mine to hang steel, or paper targets on a board for sight in. It's by far the most flexible set up, all you need is a good driver and a good puller, and you can move it around as much as you like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Find what it is in life that you do not do well......and do not do that thing....

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Where did you get the t-post brackets?

Pretty cool.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Steel Target Setup

These are the ones I use

I bought 2 then used them as a model to make about 20 more. $20 bucks each is a bit steep in my opinion if you have access to welding equipment.

Last edited by mattpittinger; 05-27-16 at 13:46.
    Find what it is in life that you do not do well......and do not do that thing....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Where did you get the t-post brackets?

Pretty cool.
    Hang Fast Targets

Feedback Score
    Hang Fast Targets
    Thank you sir!

sent from LazerPhone

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mattpittinger View Post

These are the ones I use

I bought 2 then used them as a model to make about 20 more. $20 bucks each is a bit steep in my opinion if you have access to welding equipment.

Well, I have a welder but not a lot of time. May pony up the $60 it would take for my 3 targets

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    When I had my 6" rounds on hooks I spent more time picking them up than shooting them. Being shepard's hooks it was easy enough to bend the hooks shut.

I like those t-post hangers with the chain slot though...

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beef15 View Post
    When I had my 6" rounds on hooks I spent more time picking them up than shooting them. Being shepard's hooks it was easy enough to bend the hooks shut.

I like those t-post hangers with the chain slot though...
    Yeah I use those same hangers to hang my gongs between two posts

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast