Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Steel Target Setup

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)

Steel Target Setup

Mods if this is the wrong location please move.

LGS was having a sale on 3/8" AR500 Steel targets this past weekend so I picked up a few. I have 16 acres to play with and have been shooting paper behind the house but wanted something more permanent. Something to just drive the truck out to, shoot for a bit and then go back up to the house.

I got 2X 6" circles and one that looks like the center of mass of a standard silhouette target (probably should have gotten the full silhouette, hindsight and all).

What's the best way to hang these things up in a permanent install?

I've got some treated 6X6s and a treated 4X4 laying around I could use, cross beam style with some brackets, but I wasn't sure how that would hold up or if it would be stiff enough. Then I guess chain and bolts for actually hanging the targets themselves?

Any help is appreciated.

Louisiana, On I-10 west of NOLA, east of BR
    Feedback Score
    I use fabric reinforced rubber 18 wheeler mud flaps, it takes a tremendous amount of abuse. With chain all it takes is one shot to cut it. I cut it into 6" wide strips about 18" long. If permanent location is OK plant the 4x4 in the ground and use a 2x4 cross arm about 6" long with a plate hanging on each end.
    Last edited by P2Vaircrewman; 05-09-16 at 10:48.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by P2Vaircrewman View Post
    I use fabric reinforced rubber 18 wheeler mud flaps, it takes a tremendous amount of abuse. With chain all it takes is one shot to cut it. I cut it into 6" wide strips about 18" long. If permanent location is OK plant the 4x4 in the ground and use a 2x4 cross arm about 6" long with a plate hanging on each end.
    Good idea on using something other than chain. Maybe thick wire rope would work similarly? It would tend to deflect on impact rather than break.

Like the cross arm idea but I have 3 targets that's why I was thinking an H setup like this !-! with the 6X6 and 4x4

ETA

Flat belt material from McMaster looks like it might be a winner

http://www.mcmaster.com/#flat-drive-belts/=12c5uip
    Last edited by nova3930; 05-09-16 at 12:18.

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Close to the mud flap ideal but we use old fire hose !! It can take multiple hits and lasts along time ! Check with your local FD or Volunteer FD they mite have some old stuff kicking around . Depending on what your shooting the 3/8 AR500 will take most anything but if shooting 556 @ 100 or closer it will ding/pock mark it pretty good,it will hold up but it will surprise you what it does to it at that range ! Its all about the velocity !

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Steel Target Setup

I'd try not to use any wood on a permanent installation. I have ten steel plates each hung from a bent piece of rebar in the shape of a squared off upside down U stuck in the ground. They are currently hung by a chain but I really like the mud flap idea because it seems someone hits a chain or two about every trip out.

Sent via telegraph with the same fingers I use to sip whiskey

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by m1a_scoutguy View Post
    Close to the mud flap ideal but we use old fire hose !! It can take multiple hits and lasts along time ! Check with your local FD or Volunteer FD they mite have some old stuff kicking around . Depending on what your shooting the 3/8 AR500 will take most anything but if shooting 556 @ 100 or closer it will ding/pock mark it pretty good,it will hold up but it will surprise you what it does to it at that range ! Its all about the velocity !
    Firehose is a good idea too. Yeah, no close range rifle for me. Probably not much rifle beyond my 10/22. Probably 95%+ will be handgun. Draw and fire carry drills and the like.

Quote Originally Posted by dbain99 View Post
    I'd try not to use any wood on a permanent installation. I have ten steel plates each hung from a bent piece of rebar in the shape of a squared off upside down U stuck in the ground. They are currently hung by a chain but I really like the mud flap idea because it seems someone hits a chain or two about every trip out.

Sent via telegraph with the same fingers I use to sip whiskey
    Rebar is a fantastic idea. $20-$30 worth of rebar would build a decently sturdy saw horse style rebar setup.

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nova3930 View Post
    Firehose is a good idea too. Yeah, no close range rifle for me. Probably not much rifle beyond my 10/22. Probably 95%+ will be handgun. Draw and fire carry drills and the like.

Rebar is a fantastic idea. $20-$30 worth of rebar would build a decently sturdy saw horse style rebar setup.
    Rebar can be bent into Sheppard hooks and they work great for smaller stuff ! Sometimes stuff/targets will fly off so something to stop that from happening is nice ! But with handgun and 22 stuff you should be OK. Yea its funny the 223 will dent/ding/tear stuff up,but my M1 in 06 leaves less of a mark than the 223/556 @ 100 like I said its the velocity that kills. For the bigger plates we pound in a 2x4 at a angle with a bolt through it & it lets the plate hang at a angle,makes for a safer surface with most stuff deflecting down which is good. 2x4 holds up well but cheap if ya need to replace. Someguys use PVC also for pistol stuff,but can be a issue if ya blaze away carelessly,,,LOL

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Another consideration is the angle of the plates. If at all possible, do not have them squared to you as the shooter as ricochets can occur. A slight angle deflecting fragments into the ground is a smart idea.

This is an example of what I'm trying to convey:

http://mgmtargets.com/ipsc-targets/b...t-for-use-with
    Politician's Prefer Unarmed Peasants

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    I got you. Good info.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Louisiana, On I-10 west of NOLA, east of BR
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nova3930 View Post
    Good idea on using something other than chain. Maybe thick wire rope would work similarly? It would tend to deflect on impact rather than break.

Like the cross arm idea but I have 3 targets that's why I was thinking an H setup like this !-! with the 6X6 and 4x4

ETA

Flat belt material from McMaster looks like it might be a winner

http://www.mcmaster.com/#flat-drive-belts/=12c5uip
    '

I think the fabric reinforced belting is closer to the mud flaps.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast