Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vltor A5 with BCM 11.5"

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Vltor A5 with BCM 11.5"

After reading Iraqgunz thread on the A5, and at least three other 10+ page A5 threads I have a few questions remaining which I hope to find the answers to. I'm picking up a BCM 11.5" pistol and will be SBRing it, so it's a great excuse to buy the Vltor A5 RE. For now, I will be running it unsuppressed.

Questions:
    • Sprinco Green or stock Vltor spring? I read that the stock is smoother, while green is more reliable?
    • H2, H3 or H4 buffer? (Iraqgunz used the A4 I think in his 11.5" BCM)
    • Will the BCM Gunfighter stock engage the first position on the Vltor 6 position RE?

Requirements:
    • It needs to cycle .223 reliably since I have a big stash and easier access
    • it needs to function in cold temperatures and hot temperatures (should I just pick up an extra lighter buffer for winter?)
    Last edited by MWT; 05-10-16 at 06:40. Reason: Spelling

Feedback Score
    Another choice for your action spring is the JP extra power ground and polished rifle length spring. I've been hearing reports that it's been working out swimmingly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I use an A5 with VLTOR spring and buffer on three different rifles without any cycling issues, including my 11.5 BCM-barrelled SBR. .223 is almost all I shoot. IIRC, the SBR likes the A4 buffer.

The Gunfighter stock doesn't collapse all the way since the A5 buffer tube is longer.

Last edited by Hmac; 05-10-16 at 06:20.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    I use an A5 with VLTOR spring and buffer on three different rifles without any cycling issues, including my 11.5 BCM-barrelled SBR. .223 is almost all I shoot. IIRC, the SBR likes the A4 buffer.

The Gunfighter stock doesn't collapse all the way since the A5 buffer tube is longer.

Thank you. I wonder if the H4 buffer will work in the cold, or should I step down to a H3?

I'm cool with the stock not collapsing all the way, I just want it to lock when it does collapse all the way. Would the 6position allow this?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MWT View Post
    I'm cool with the stock not collapsing all the way, I just want it to lock when it does collapse all the way. Would the 6position allow this?
    Yes, it locks and will be just about 3/4" back from face of castle nut.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MWT View Post
    Thank you. I wonder if the H4 buffer will work in the cold, or should I step down to a H3?

I live in Minnesota, haven't ever noticed any cycling issues that are weather dependent.

Yeh, as TB-AV said, it's locks, just doesn't abut the castle nut.

Feedback Score
    Has anyone tried taking the A5H0 ( 3.8oz ) for example, and replacing the solid weights inside with the same weight of tungsten powder aka spikes T2, T3? You'd have the dead reliably A5 system with a quiet buffer. I couldn't imagine any problems would arise as long as the same weight of tungsten powder replaces the solid buffers.

What are your thoughts fellas?

Feedback Score
    FWIW:

I've run 4 different 11.5" BCM barrels on my SBR's and Find that my H3 buffer with a Tubb CS flat spring and an LMT enhanced CARRIER run very sweet with the AAC SPR-M4 attached. However, this is too much resistance when shooting lower powered .223 without the suppressor, and the rifle will short stroke.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bandw1dth View Post
    Has anyone tried taking the A5H0 ( 3.8oz ) for example, and replacing the solid weights inside with the same weight of tungsten powder aka spikes T2, T3? You'd have the dead reliably A5 system with a quiet buffer. I couldn't imagine any problems would arise as long as the same weight of tungsten powder replaces the solid buffers.

Won't work. The weights are biased with a spring in the A5. Changing out for tungsten powder would defeat one of the main purposes of the A5.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bandw1dth View Post

Powdered metal buffers actually work worse than solid weights. Slow motion footage shows they exhibit more bolt bounce than their similarly weighted solid counter parts.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast