10 47.62%
  • 300 sps

11 52.38%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Surefire 762 mini or socom 300 sps

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Benito View Post
    Why would any given suppressor sound worse with subs than supers? No supersonic crack should be quieter, should it not?
    SF designed the SOCOM762-RC for the 300WM contact. It was engineered to sound really well at those pressures. It sounds great with my AR10 (308 and 6.5CM). It sounds ok with 300blk supers...... but laughably loud with subs.

I'm excited to compare them side by side one my 300 SPS is approved.

Quote Originally Posted by foxtrotx1 View Post
    Fluid dynamics. The behavior of a gas at one temp/pressure does not replicate the behavior at a much higher temp and pressure. If the can is optimized by the engineers (using CAD and fluid modeling software) for a higher pressure, there is a chance lower end performance suffers.

Wow, much more in depth than I could have explained.
    "When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by foxtrotx1 View Post
    Fluid dynamics. The behavior of a gas at one temp/pressure does not replicate the behavior at a much higher temp and pressure. If the can is optimized by the engineers (using CAD and fluid modeling software) for a higher pressure, there is a chance lower end performance suffers.
    Quote Originally Posted by domestique View Post
    SF designed the SOCOM762-RC for the 300WM contact. It was engineered to sound really well at those pressures. It sounds great with my AR10 (308 and 6.5CM). It sounds ok with 300blk supers...... but laughably loud with subs.

I'm excited to compare them side by side one my 300 SPS is approved.

Wow, much more in depth than I could have explained.
    Interesting, good to know.
    What specific differences are there between the 2 cans that makes them more suited to supers vs subs?
    Baffle design, baffle spacing, porting, bore sizing, etc?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Benito View Post
    Interesting, good to know.
    What specific differences are there between the 2 cans that makes them more suited to supers vs subs?
    Baffle design, baffle spacing, porting, bore sizing, etc?
    No idea. I'm sure our resident SF rep. Garin (kudu22) would be able to explain more.

I haven't seen a SOCOM762-RC baffle stack cutaway/xray. But it would definitely be interesting to compare it to a Saker/Omega which is known to sound very nice with 300blk subs.
    "When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    What should I look at if I want to swap back and forth between my 10.5 inch 300BLK and my Arsenal 107CR. Was wanting a shorter can because I'm not going to SBR the 107CR. The Dead Air Sandman-S sounds interesting. What would y'all use if you were in my shoes?

The 300 BLK will primarily be using super Ammo. It's gonna have a scope and used as a Hog rifle.
    Last edited by Senorx; 05-22-16 at 06:58.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Senorx View Post
    What should I look at if I want to swap back and forth between my 10.5 inch 300BLK and my Arsenal 107CR. Was wanting a shorter can because I'm not going to SBR the 107CR. The Dead Air Sandman-S sounds interesting. What would y'all use if you were in my shoes?

The 300 BLK will primarily be using super Ammo. It's gonna have a scope and used as a Hog rifle.
    SilencerCo Omega if you want a short can that is geared towards 300blk but does everything else pretty well.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Feedback Score
    Senorx depends on your priorities.

Blowback, mounts, and cost are 3 areas the Sandman-S shines.
    Silencerco Omega as Sensei mentioned will beat it in muzzle decibels and weight for the same cost.
    Rugged Razor is another lighter option also.
    Surefire MINI2 will be little shorter but more money for can and mounts.
    KAC is also $.

Blowback and mounts were main issues for me. But for a hog rifle weight may be a bigger factor. The Sandman is 3 oz+ heavier than Omega and Razor.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nml View Post
    Senorx depends on your priorities.

Blowback, mounts, and cost are 3 areas the Sandman-S shines.
    Silencerco Omega as Sensei mentioned will beat it in muzzle decibels and weight for the same cost.
    Rugged Razor is another lighter option also.
    Surefire MINI2 will be little shorter but more money for can and mounts.
    KAC is also $.

Blowback and mounts were main issues for me. But for a hog rifle weight may be a bigger factor. The Sandman is 3 oz+ heavier than Omega and Razor.
    I'm not sure if you guys got a chance to read my mini-review of my Surefire 300 SPS that I posted in the SF 300SPS thread. The Cliff's Notes version is that I'm not so impressed. Blowback was NASTY in my 10" SCAR and is noticeably more than a 556 RC-2 in a 10'5" LMT MRP. I've not had a chance to shoot it in a 300blk yet, but I plan to takes some 308 and 300blk to the range next weekend. Now, keep in mind that the 300 SPS is not a small can. It is 1-2 inches longer than the Omega (depending on if you use the brake or a flat cap) and a good bit heavier.

So, I say go with an Omega, Sandman, or Rugged over the SF for 300blk unless you are heavily invested in SF SOCOM brakes / mounts. My preference is to the Omega due to the fact that SilencerCo is an established company with an excellent customer service track record. Deadair and Rugged are great, but still rather new companies.

As for KAC, keep in mind that their cans cannot cross calibers. If you buy a 30 cal QDC or QDC/CQB, then you will not be able to fit it on a 556 rifle. Your choices in KAC muzzle devices are also limited to a $90 flash hider or a $300 MAMS - they do not make an affordable break. I have a couple KAC suppressors but that is because I have several KAC uppers that already had their QDC flash hiders installed.
    Last edited by Sensei; 05-22-16 at 23:23.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Now, keep in mind that the 300 SPS is not a small can. It is 1-2 inches longer than the Omega (depending on if you use the brake or a flat cap) and a good bit heavier.
    Yes I think the MINI2 is the better Surefire option with him wanting a smaller package. That being said the 300 SPS looks like a beast if you want to throw 300blk @ the lowest muzzle db possible. Metered much lower off SS's 9" than my Sandman.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    My preference is to the Omega due to the fact that SilencerCo is an established company with an excellent customer service track record. Deadair and Rugged are great, but still rather new companies.
    Yes they are both new companies. But they have a lot of experience behind them. Dead Air is backed by BPI and Mr. Pappas was a cofounder and Mr. Magee a designer at SilencerCo. Rugged was cofounded by Mr. Graham who co-owned SWR in 2006 before they were purchased by SilencerCo. The Razor was not yet available when I bought my Sandman but it appears to be impressive also. But I agree with you the Omega is probably the highest volume seller of the 3 by far.

Feedback Score
    I've been watching YouTube videos on the Omega 30 all night long. I think I'm sold. Looks like a perfect match for my intended use. Plus I qualify for the SPEQ pricing too. Win, win!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Senorx View Post
    I've been watching YouTube videos on the Omega 30 all night long. I think I'm sold. Looks like a perfect match for my intended use. Plus I qualify for the SPEQ pricing too. Win, win!
    I finally got to shoot my Omega yesterday. Very impressed for such a small can. Regretfully we were shooting in the backyard, and only shot subs as to not piss of the neighbors.

On a 9" BCM 300BLK upper it sounded very nice with subsonics. A nice low tone with no noticeable blowback. I shot it side by side with an identical 9" BCM upper and an AAC Cyclone. To our ears, the Omega (flat cap, direct thread) sounded quieter than the 9" Cyclone! The cyclone also had more blowback.

Regarding the BCM upper: I used an H3 buffer and it cycled subs with and without the suppressor, with bolt lock back.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast