Thread: Installing a new upper receiver

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Installing a new upper receiver

I am going to be installing a new Noveske MUR upper receiver on my Colt 6920. I will be using the same barrel, NSR rail and barrel nut, as are currently on my 6920. Additionally I will be using a BGC and bolt that I received from @iraqgunz as part of a trade when my BCG went belly up in the fall. I am unsure of the brand.

My question is, can I simply strip the existing receiver and swap in the Noveske MUR or do I have to concern myself with checking headspace and such?

I fired the 6920 with the new BCG/bolt from iraqgunz with no problems this past winter.

Thank you for the advice.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    I would say you are GTG as long as you use the proper torque ratings when assembling. Buy some GO NO-GO gauges from Brownell's to make you sleep better.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Thanks. I know this is a ridiculous thought given the potential consequences of being off, but I don't want to drop $70 on two gauges I may only use once.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If you've already successfully fired the bcg/barrel combo, I wouldn't bother with go/no-go gauges. Just follow proper assembly and torque values.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Swapping your Colt upper receiver for the MUR will not affect the headspace. Assuming the bolt is already correctly headspaced to the barrel, then you will be good to go after the receiver swap.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    The headspace has NOTHING to do with the receiver.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Thanks all