Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .300 Blackout ammo suggestions for bad guys... and deer and hogs.

Feedback Score

.300 Blackout ammo suggestions for bad guys... and deer and hogs.

I have my SBR upper at the gunsmith for a new Wilson Combat 11.3" .300 Blackout barrel. (1/8 twist) This will primarily be a home defense, or SHTF gun so as much as I hate to say it, the ability to stop a bad guy is priority #1. Quietness is not a priority, but I would like suggestions in both subsonic and supersonic rounds. I figure any subsonic load with a can will be quiet enough for indoor work. I would also like to be able to take people sized game like hogs and deer, so I'm looking for suggestions in a good hunter/killer round for this, my first foray into the cartridge. I do not reload, just need recommendations on factory loads.

Thank you.
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    110gr - 120gr TSX is the load your looking for. I've taken 6 deer with the 110gr from a suppressed SBR and would trust for home defense. Supersonic is still loud suppressed but it is the only way to go for lethal performance. The subsonic very quiet and is ballistically close to a handgun round as well as great fun but very different in terms of downrange lethality.

Here's a link:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/43...free-box-of-20
    Politician's Prefer Unarmed Peasants

Feedback Score
    ^^^ What he said. I have heard of the Barnes 110gr TAC-TX described as essentially the "gold standard" of supersonic 300BLK rounds terminal ballistics-wise, from several online sources. They hunt hogs quite effectively with it so I surmise it would work rather well for two-legged critters also.

There is supposedly a Hornady 110gr GMX load out there (it leaves much less copper fouling than the Barnes all-copper bullets) but I have yet to find it in stock any-damn-where. Unicorn tears........
    Last edited by ABNAK; 05-13-16 at 21:34.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    "Hornady 110gr GMX" that's interesting and look forward to trying this.
    Been using the Barnes 110 TAC-TX like most folks.
    But seriously thinking about using a 125 gr Hornady SST handload for deer next season. Like the Barnes but for small to medium sized deer think the SST will perform better.
    As to hogs.. I am kinda funny about that. Smaller hogs (<100#) I'd be OK with 300Blk. But here in Carolinas you are as likely to see a 200# hog as not; I prefer to carry something bigger (308 Win) just in case. Though I have not gone as far a new buddy who uses... no joke!.. a double barrel shotgun converted to 45/70.

Feedback Score
    http://www.hornady.com/store/300-Bla...GMX-Full-Boar/

There ya go. Good luck finding it though. A number of places list it but NO ONE has it in stock.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LDM View Post
    "Hornady 110gr GMX" that's interesting and look forward to trying this.
    Been using the Barnes 110 TAC-TX like most folks.
    But seriously thinking about using a 125 gr Hornady SST handload for deer next season. Like the Barnes but for small to medium sized deer think the SST will perform better.
    As to hogs.. I am kinda funny about that. Smaller hogs (<100#) I'd be OK with 300Blk. But here in Carolinas you are as likely to see a 200# hog as not; I prefer to carry something bigger (308 Win) just in case. Though I have not gone as far a new buddy who uses... no joke!.. a double barrel shotgun converted to 45/70.
    Alright, that's it, I demand you get some photos of this...

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    I'll see what I can do about a photo.
    It is a double barrel hammer shotgun with a scope mounted. When I saw the scope on a double barrel, I knew something was different. Frankly other than the scope, a glance would not have given it away.
    There is an outfit in Alaska that fabricates insert tubes in various calibers, 45/70 included, for shotguns. This guy had a gunsmith put tubes put in both barrels. He wanted a double rifle and this was a cost efficient way to go.
    He uses 300 gr bullets principally on hogs in the Carolina, but has taken deer as well.
    He assures that he rarely has to track game he shoots with this rig.

Feedback Score
    Outstanding. I want an exposed hammer double bad. I (dare I say "we") will want info on the conversion too.

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    125gr SST has put hogs down the best in my experience. The Barnes bullets are fine but they expand a little too quick for my liking on bigger hogs. The 300 isn't carrying big rifle energy and too much expansion doesn't allow the bullet to penetrate well. An SST from my 8" at 100yds made it through the shoulder and both lungs of a 240lb hog. That's not easy feat.
    Misspelled and missing words delivered to you via the hunt-and-peck method on my phone

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    ^^^ What he said. I have heard of the Barnes 110gr TAC-TX described as essentially the "gold standard" of supersonic 300BLK rounds terminal ballistics-wise, from several online sources. They hunt hogs quite effectively with it so I surmise it would work rather well for two-legged critters also.

There is supposedly a Hornady 110gr GMX load out there (it leaves much less copper fouling than the Barnes all-copper bullets) but I have yet to find it in stock any-damn-where. Unicorn tears........
    I have killed six deer with 110gr Tac TX and I concur with the gold standard assessment.

I blew away a buck's spine at 125 yards (I was aiming at a downward angle) and the exit wound in its rib cage was the size of a half dollar. It was ****ing huge. DRT.

Accurate as hell too. Can't say enough good things about that bullet.
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 05-18-16 at 09:57.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast