Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .300 Blackout ammo suggestions for bad guys... and deer and hogs.

Feedback Score
    Ordered my first batch of .300 Blackout ammo. Got 500 rounds of plain jane American Eagle 150gr fmj just because it was cheep. Once I get my upper back (being rebarreled in .300) and get her running, and zeroed, I'll spring for some better stuff. If I'm going to pay for shipping I'll want to wait til I can afford to get a good sized order of the better ammo. I can always pick up a few boxes at the LGS or Wal-Mart, but I'd have to drive 45 min to a bigger town to get some of the better more expensive ammo.

Probably going with something along the lines of the Barnes VOR-TX 110 gr TTSXBT or the Remington Hog Hammer 110GR TSX Boat Tail for my general purpose/defense round. Not sure on a subsonic yet, but that doesn't matter until I get a suppressor.

Not looking forward to what the election will do to ammo prices as it gets closer...
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    What if anything have you heard anything good out of the 110 Amax?

Feedback Score
    I'm thinking (based on what I've read) the Amax is a lighter built bullet. Probably great for deer or coyote, possibly bad guys, but maybe too delicate for tough hogs. I'm sure somebody with experience with this bullet will chime in.
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    I was thinking of deer for my 10yo daughter.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    From my experience it's worth a shot. I've used the 155AMAX in my .308 hunting deer and hogs up to 400 lbs since it was introduced. I've only had one animal shot with not just drop to the ground - a small doe 110lbs, from 65yds to 416 yds. I've taken over 40 hogs with it and 11 whitetail rainging from 110lbs to 265lbs on the hoof.

Here are my caveats, in my experience there are two thoughts of bullet choices for hunters based upon the desired outcome: 1. I prefer the bullet to expand and dump all of it's energy into the animal I'm shooting, I don't care about pass through for a blood trail. 2. Other hunters prefer good but less expansion and a good exit wound to have a good blood trail. Use this information for what bullet performance you generally prefer.

This has been my experiene with a .308 from a 20" bolt rifle. I'd test your .300 blk loads with 110 Amax on hogs and other critters first.

I will say this, that I've even switched over to 300gr XTP pistol bullets for my muzzle loader and have had the same excellent hunting results from Hornady bullets and use the 75gr BTHP most of the time now from my 16" AR to kill most hogs and it's performance has been similar on hogs.

Feedback Score
    Two seasons ago my girlfriend bugged me about deer hunting with me. I had built her an M4 style carbine, which she shoots well, in 5.56. I told her no damn 5.56 and built her a .300 Blackout M4. In two years she has taken 6 deer, all with one shot per animal! The farthest I had to track was within 40 yards or so. I use the Barnes 110 grain TTSX exclusively. I am impressed with the bullets efficiency. So much so that I now have a clone M4 I can use on those hunts of ours.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner69 View Post
    Two seasons ago my girlfriend bugged me about deer hunting with me.
    If only we could all be so lucky.

But damn, six deer in two years, she's on fire. One of my buddies is on year six now with nothing to show for it haha

I picked up some Barnes 110 Black Tip for both deer and hogs, but have yet to use it on any critters.

Feedback Score
    The really "Kick Ass" for downing game. I normally use a 9.3x62 and expect results, my girlfriend keeps me wondering........

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12