G&R Tactical
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 33

Thread: Range Report: Hornady 5.56mm 75 Grain TAP SBR

  1. #21
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    66
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    It looks to me like the "black" ammo is the same stuff, just packaged differently. It shows the exact same velocity from the 11.5 inch test barrel. I would like to know what Hornady says about that.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    66
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I just spoke to a tech at Hornady who confirmed that the TAP SBR 75 gr load it is identical to the 75 gr Black load. Only the packaging is different.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    VA/OH
    Posts
    29,302
    Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayrevolver View Post
    Devils Advocate: I am hoping the SBR load bullet is specifically designed to expand at lower working velocities. And maybe they chose the powder so that blast and concussion would be less with this load. Dunno.

    If you look at their "Black" SBR ammo, they claim 2321 fps with an 11.5" barrel. I wonder if during development of the above SBR load, they realized they can market it to suppressor folks since it was less blast.

    I kinda want to try the Black SBR suppressed 5.56 and see if I can notice a difference in sound. Probably not.

    I don't think it will. For that, you need a copper bullet (TSX/GMX). These bullets turn a 10.5 into 150yds gun.


    C4

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    229
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Thanks for the review!

  5. #25
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    66
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    More data:

    DD 10.75" (chopped) 2226fps, 1.7" 10-shot @ 100 yds, T-1

    This ammo does seem quiet (suppressed) compared to BH or IMI 77 OTM, although it gives up 150-220fps depending on the particular barrel. (10.5-11.5" that I tested)
    Last edited by MQ105; 02-18-17 at 19:12.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    66
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    For comparison (all velocities are with M4SDII):

    DD 10.75" --- 75 TAP SBR 2226, 75 Gold Dot 2183, 77 IMI 2391 64 Gold Dot 2287 62 Mk318 2604

    Sionics 11.5" -75 TAP SBR 2244, 75 Gold Dot 2273, 77 IMI 2456 64 Gold Dot 2479 62 Mk318 2741


    So, yes, the 75 GDs are a bit faster in my tests than the 75 TAP SBR. Still almost 100fps slower than the referenced test.






    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Interesting, Andrew was getting higher velocity out his 11.5" SBR with 75gr Gold Dot. You would think an SBR specific load would yield higher velocity than its competitor out of, well, an SBR. Speer 75 gr Gold Dot isn't even advertised as an SBR specific load.

    Speer 75 gr Gold Dot

    https://youtu.be/2lkI36eUoy4

    11.5" SBR:
    Velocity: 2,370 fps
    Penetration: 19.5"
    Retained weight: 73.0 gr
    Max expansion: 0.563"
    Min expansion: 0.305"



    20" Rifle:
    Velocity: 2,774 fps
    Penetration: 15.2"
    Retained weight: 66.2 gr
    Max expansion: 0.686"
    Min expansion: 0.382"


    SBR Windshield:
    Velocity: 2,328 fps
    Penetration: 22" (approx.)
    Retained weight: 60.9 gr
    Max expansion: 0.426"
    Min expansion: 0.246"
    Last edited by MQ105; 02-23-17 at 12:32.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    699
    Feedback Score
    4 (83%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MQ105 View Post
    For comparison (all velocities are with M4SDII):

    DD 10.75" --- 75 TAP SBR 2226, 75 Gold Dot 2183, 77 IMI 2391 64 Gold Dot 2287 62 Mk318 2604

    Sionics 11.5" -75 TAP SBR 2244, 75 Gold Dot 2273, 77 IMI 2456 64 Gold Dot 2479 62 Mk318 2741


    So, yes, the 75 GDs are a bit faster in my tests than the 75 TAP SBR. Still almost 100fps slower than the referenced test.
    I'm assuming you have the standard Sionics 11.5" barrel, and not the reduced gas port one correct?

    Thanks

  8. #28
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    66
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by w3453l View Post
    I'm assuming you have the standard Sionics 11.5" barrel, and not the reduced gas port one correct?

    Thanks
    I have the reduced port barrel, and have also installed a homemade gas block port reduction insert that is .0630". It's pretty good with the M4SDII and will cycle Wolf Gold.
    Without the suppressor:
    it locks back 100% when clean and/or freshly lubed. When dirty and without recent lube it cycles 100% but won't reliably lock back. With M193, M855, Mk262, Mk 318 it is 100% whether dirty, clean, whatever, and locks back.
    Last edited by MQ105; 02-24-17 at 19:15.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    699
    Feedback Score
    4 (83%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MQ105 View Post
    I have the reduced port barrel, and have also installed a homemade gas block port reduction insert that is .0630". It's pretty good with the M4SDII and will cycle Wolf Gold.
    Without the suppressor:
    it locks back 100% when clean and/or freshly lubed. When dirty and without recent lube it cycles 100% but won't reliably lock back. With M193, M855, Mk262, Mk 318 it is 100% whether dirty, clean, whatever, and locks back.
    Thanks!

    I have been contemplating on buying the RGP barrel, but I will not be running suppressed. I wasn't sure if that's still a good idea.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    66
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The .070 port in the reduced port barrel runs very well non suppressed.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •