Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: I Need A Stripped Lower

Feedback Score
    4 (83%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas View Post
    Put it together and let us know.

Sionics for $73 is a steal in my mind. I paid $59 plus shipping and transfer for my last Aero, about $85 total. Home based FFL local to me that does $14 transfers is handy.
    sounds like where i got mine too

Feedback Score
    4 (83%)
    Quote Originally Posted by boombotz401 View Post
    Aero precision makes spikes lowers, there g2g

Can order them in a few colors too 79-120 I think depending on color

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    and lowers for colt too

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    I've built several AR's using Aero and I have ever had a single issue. Married up to several different uppers - BCM, Aero, Colt, and even a Vltor MUR-1A for a while. They cooperate well and snuck up nicely without much if any rattle/looseness at all. If that sort of thing matters to you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by porks View Post
    Tactical Machining is another option at $49 and they offer an unconditional lifetime warranty.
    I didn't see a $49 dollar option, saw a $79 though. I've never heard of them before. What kind of round count and how old are the lowers you have?

"Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by m1a_scoutguy View Post
    I and several buddies have built many rifles out of LRB lowers,never had a issue ! Get some buddies together and buy a bunch of them and really save ! My 2cents worth.
    http://www.lrbarms.com/ar15receivers.html
    Ii couldn't get your link to work.

Try this one.
    http://www.lrbarms.com/ar15.html.
    Interesting that the same machining company JV Precision that makes LRB lowers, is making some rails for Kinetic Development. Not saying I'm a fan of Kinetic Development. They aren't my cup of tea. Just interesting. I've never heard of LRB either.

~ Sam Houston

~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 556Cliff View Post
    Now I'm confused. Aero or even PSA is a step above Double Star... Double Star is down there with the Anderson quality (or lack thereof) that you wanted to avoid?!?

There is a reason Double Star was not mentioned in this thread by anyone.
    I'd take DoubleStar over Anderson any day, and probably even Aero.

I'm aware of probably 20+ ARs built on DS lowers, nary a problem. Which is not the case with AP.

To me PSA is just a DoubleStar clone. You can build a crap bottom of the barrel rifle, or you can build one with decent parts, or at least specs. (Bolt testing being the one exception)

New builders tend to overfocus on the lower, and underfocus on the rest. If it's forged, correct alloy, correct coating and dimensions, it will work. It's not like the Anderson/AP/DS will melt on you. They are either dimensionally correct or they are not. Exchange as needed.

If you are concerned about the lower, spend $30-40 more for a name brand lower. But once you get into $100+ lowers you will be hard pressed to build a better lower for the money than a LMT Defender L7C2 complete lower. Last one I bought was $330 out the door. Add up what it'd cost to build similar, you'll be surprised.

I used to buy uppers and build lowers, as do most newbies. Now I buy excellent complete lowers for about the same price, and build exactly the upper I want.

Feedback Score
    Going off pinzgaurs post, I built my 1st lower, great learning experience and was cost efficient at the time.

Now, I'd buy an assembled one. You can learn just as much playing with the thing and seeing how the parts interface IMO. A lot of them come with just about any option you'd want as well (different trigger, etc). Just a thought.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post

I'm aware of probably 20+ ARs built on DS lowers, nary a problem. Which is not the case with AP.lo

To me PSA is just a DoubleStar clone. You can build a crap bottom of the barrel rifle, or you can build one with decent parts, or at least specs. (Bolt testing being the one exception)

New builders tend to overfocus on the lower, and underfocus on the rest. If it's forged, correct alloy, correct coating and dimensions, it will work. It's not like the Anderson/AP/DS will melt on you. They are either dimensionally correct or they are not. Exchange as needed.

If you are concerned about the lower, spend $30-40 more for a name brand lower. But once you get into $100+ lowers you will be hard pressed to build a better lower for the money than a LMT Defender L7C2 complete lower. Last one I bought was $330 out the door. Add up what it'd cost to build similar, you'll be surprised.

I used to buy uppers and build lowers, as do most newbies. Now I buy excellent complete lowers for about the same price, and build exactly the upper I want.

It's only a $380 lower (current price) if you are happy with a mil spec trigger, carbine buffer system, carbine stock, and want to use whatever grip.
    I realize that not every AR owner thinks like this, but it doesn't make any sense to me to buy a complete lower that I'm going to swap out the stock, buffer system, trigger, trigger guard and pistol grip on. So in that scenario, sure I'd have a great LMT lower, but I'd also have a bunch of spare parts I can't even sell and end up PIFing away. While I haven't built 20 lowers, I've built 11 and aside from a Noveske (and soon to have KAC) they we're all AP. Never an issue with tolerances and specs, but more importantly never an issue with function. But it's not just about the parts I'm spending money for and not using. Even after more than a few builds, I still enjoy the building process, I still enjoy building my lower out to my exact specs. And I have excellent functioning lowers in my builds. I know some on our forum who have built AR's in the double digits and they still build their lowers out, using Noveske for some, Aero and other quality lowers. They do it for much of the same reasons as me, and I'd hardly call them noobs.

I do see your point of someone doesn't like the process, or if they are happy with utilizing mil spec parts,mthankful going the route of an assembl
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post

I'm aware of probably 20+ ARs built on DS lowers, nary a problem. Which is not the case with AP.

It's only a $380 lower if you are not planning on replacing the stock, buffer system, trigger, trigger guard and pistol grip. That's why I buy and build my own lowers. I have them spec'd out based on how I need it built out.
    Also for me, I still enjoy the build process, even after more than a few builds. I know guys on our forum who are in the +14 count on AR's, definitely not noobs, and they still build out their lower assemblies for the same reasons I mentioned. I can't even remember the last time I bought an LPK, because I am buying the lower parts I want to use and I stock up on those.

I think if a person is not planning on stepping outside of the mil spec parts that come with your assembled lower, or maybe just don't enjoy or see the value of building a lower to or don't possess the tools or desire own sp then I honk the LMT or BCM or even a Colt OEM is a good route for that person.

Tyttty mmm
    ~ Sam Houston

~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    I generally go with the lowest price stripped receivers I can find for my hobby builds as long as it's forged 7075 aluminum and advertised to spec. I've used Aero, PSA, Spike's, and regrettably DPMS although I haven't had a problem yet (knock on wood). I did have a problem with a cheap daytona tactical upper that wasn't to spec and wouldn't fit on any lower I had. Chainsaw files fixed that though.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    It's only a $380 lower (current price) if you are happy with a mil spec trigger, carbine buffer system, carbine stock, and want to use whatever grip.
    So I've consistently been able to sell the LMT M4 butt stock and the Ergo grip for about what it'd cost to replace it with the MagPul I wanted. Or if you are headed to SOPMOD, LMT was the pioneer and you can get the lower with a SOPMOD. And one of the best mil-spec RE's available.

Same for a quite good 2 stage trigger if you want to upgrade from basic. Much cheaper than adding aftermarket.

Even if you want to put in a Geiselle, you still need the other lower parts, and LMT is no slouch.

I realize that not every AR owner thinks like this, but it doesn't make any sense to me to buy a complete lower that I'm going to swap out the stock, buffer system, trigger, trigger guard and pistol grip on. So in that scenario, sure I'd have a great LMT lower, but I'd also have a bunch of spare parts I can't even sell and end up PIFing away.
    You'd be surprised about resale of the parts you don't want.

I've done the math, and did the LMT thing multiple times. If keeping a standard trigger and buffer, if I pay more than $100 for the lower it's worth doing. (Used to be lower than that, my first LMT complete lower was $270). And even if wanting different buffer/extension, trigger, etc, the breakeven point is $150-200 for sure.

So I just can't see the folks paying silly money for Spikes lowers and similar.

There is also a resale factor if you ever need to sell/trade. You'll just get more out of the LMT/Colt/DD/BCM complete lower or build than you ever will out of a frankengun (Franken in the good sense, just multiple mfgs, generic lower)

All that said, I still occasionally build lowers if doing something like a fixed stock, etc. And nothing wrong with doing it for fun. Just keep in mind that the savings is no longer what it used to be. Then again, bang for buck, hard to beat Colt OEM 2 from Grant and sell-off/customize as needed.
    Last edited by pinzgauer; 03-02-17 at 09:52.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345