Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shield Ejection Problems

Feedback Score
    I owned a shield 9mm that didn't like anything 147 gr. It had several stovepipe malfunctions. Didn't bother me, because it ran everything else just fine. I carried with Speer Gold Dot 124 +p and never had a hiccup with that ammo at all. It shot the Speer's great. I just figured the 147 gr and the shield didn't mix, so I shot what it liked and didn't bother with 147 gr.
    "If you aren't part of the solution, you're part of the problem."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Ponder... How does projectile weight impact extraction and ejection?
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    For troubleshooting, let someone else shoot it to see if the problem persists. I've seen ejection patterns vary quite a bit based on shooters. This can be especially true with smaller pistols.

If the problem is still there, send it back to the mothership a third time. My S&W 640 Pro Series revolver had to go back FOUR times before S&W finished building it. That was on a Pro Series gun which was shipped new to me from S&W with so many fit, finish, and function issues I was embarrassed for them.

At some point soon you will never have confidence in this pistol. Then it will be time to trade it for a different one, regardless of the fix.

Edmo

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Looks like you have one the forsaken Sheilds plagued with the extraction gremlin. Dig around you will find that you are not the only one with this problem though it does not seem to appear in the majority of pistols it is a consistent issue that keeps cropping up in a small percentage of Sheilds. They come from the factory as a lemon and fail to extract with many ammo types. Usually it is a nasty malf where the extractor skips the case rim upon extraction leaving the empty in the chamber and then jamming a live round up under the empty. Remedial action requires striping the mag and racking the slide several times. Sometimes the empty just stove pipes. From reports the factory is not usually able to fix the problem.

My theory is it is a design weakness that only appears with a certain combination of tolerance stacking of parts.
    I dumped the Sheild and got a G43 I have been happy with. Though the $350 shipped PSA Sheild deals tempt me to play the Sheild lottery again...

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Ponder... How does projectile weight impact extraction and ejection?
    I'd guess that a different powder charge / recoil impulse will cause the slide to cycle at a different rate, which could cause problems with the extractor.....?
    HIPPIES SMELL

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    bought a 9mm shield about 4 months ago and got two FTE in my first box of 50. and then 1 FTE in the 2nd box of 50 rounds...Smith wesson polished feed ramp and replaced extractor and recoil spring and said they fixed ...I traded it in and got another shield last month and its been flawless through 200 rounds so far.
    "People talk 45. shoot 9mm and carry 38." Jeff Cooper
    now it would be - "People talk G19, Shoot G34 and Carry G43"

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Update.....After its 3rd trip back to S&W and some back and forth they just sent me a new one.

I put 200 rounds through it without any issues and the ejection is very consistent. I shot this 4" circle with a magazine from 3-5-7-10-15-25 yards each. The new trigger is much improved. There's a little take up and then a stiff wall to press through with almost no creep and as far as I can tell no overtravel. It's exactly what I think all plastic guns should feel like.

HIPPIES SMELL

Feedback Score
    Glad to see S&W eventually took care of you.
    NRA & GOA - Join the fight!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12