Thread: Fair Price for Used Reloading Equipment?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Fair Price for Used Reloading Equipment?

I am considering getting back in to reloading, what is a fair rate from retail to offer someone on some used equipment in good shape?
    I'm looking at a Dillion 550 with a lot of extras but the price is a bit steep.
    I would guess used equipment should sell for closer to 65% of retail if it is in excellent condition and that would be a fair place to begin negotiations.
    Am I off base here?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    There may be good info on Brianenos.com. The Dillon's I've seen listed over the years seem to hold their value. I assume it's due to the Dillon warranty and customer service. Every once in a while someone on Enos will sell a 550 or 650 for less if they are getting out of shooting. I have been very pleased using a 550 to load 9, 45, and 223.

Feedback Score
    Used Dillon stuff typically sells for 80% of new.

The good part is that if you buy a used Dillon press and then decide to sell it a few years down the road, you'll probably get 100% of your money back on it. Plus, Dillon's warranty follows the press, so it's always going to be covered.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'm going to have to pass on the Dillion 550; $1500 is a lot of money starting out the gate.
    I may go with a Lyman T-Mag 2 or a Redding T-7 instead. I know I will eventually spend the same cash, but I will have the dies I need and want rather than what he is offering.
    It would appear that the Redding has better reviews. Does anyone here have experience with both?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
    I'm going to have to pass on the Dillion 550; $1500 is a lot of money starting out the gate.
    I may go with a Lyman T-Mag 2 or a Redding T-7 instead. I know I will eventually spend the same cash, but I will have the dies I need and want rather than what he is offering.
    It would appear that the Redding has better reviews. Does anyone here have experience with both?
    What is your break down for a 550 @$1500? Is that the press and case feeder and dies and conversion kits for all the calibers you want to reload?

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    In my eyes it all depends on what you want to do and how much of it you want to do. I have a rock chucker, 550, and Lee classic turret. For one off projects or odd military rounds I use the rock chucker. For bulk ammo (45, 9, 223) I use the Dillon. For calibers I like to shoot but not often enough to justify the cost of parts to convert the Dillon, I use the Lee. I am convinced that 75% of the average person's reloading needs can be met with the Lee. It all comes down to how often you shoot. I easy put 1,000 45 rounds down range each month, another 500 of each 9 and 223. That justifies the cost to spend on the dillon. I shoot 100 or so 40, 45 colt, and 38 per month, so that's what I use the Lee for.

My reloading buddy mocks my decision to go with the Lee, but every time he does I remind him of the cost for the complete .380 toolhead he has sitting in his cabinet collecting dust. And the Lee keeps chugging.
    Quote Originally Posted by RichDC2 View Post
    That rifle has won trophies for its game face alone!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiffums View Post
    What is your break down for a 550 @$1500? Is that the press and case feeder and dies and conversion kits for all the calibers you want to reload?
    That was kind of the issue. Yes he has 9mm and 5.56, but he also has three more calibers that I'm never going to shoot. I'm not likely to go .357 Sig or 40 anytime soon, nor will I shoot the other caliber he has that I just can't think of at the moment. He wont split the stuff I don't want and don't need out of the deal, so there it is. I know, I could sell the stuff off, but I don't want to put the time in to it.
    I ordered the Redding and I will likely put my bench in this weekend.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I just set up a 650XL with all the bells and whistles for $1050, for 9mm only.

Caliber conversions can be more or less expensive - it just depends how easy you want the process to be.

For $120+ dies you can move your powder feed around

For $190 plus dies you can have a dedicated powder feed for each caliber.

You also may need a new case feed plate ($40) if the cases are not about the same size. You can do 9/40 or 40/45 with the same plate, but not 9 and 45. 223 and 308 need their own plate each. 300 BLK can work with a pistol plate.

It's another $100 for the primer size change.

So, $1k for 9mm, $400 just to add .45, but then it's "only" $150-250 per caliber after that.

My approach is a 650 for 9mm high volume, and then a Lee Turret for 38, 45, 40, 10, 380, 44, 223, etc. This setup is slower to use, but easier to convert from caliber to caliber, and only $50 per additional caliber!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Well the Redding came in earlier this week and yes, you guessed it; I will be working overtime for the foreseeable future.

Feedback Score
    You'll be happy with the T-7 and Redding's customer service should you need it.
    "Never forget those who have died; Never forget who killed them."
    -Unknown