Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: S&W Shield Coming in 45 ACP!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisreedrules View Post
    For all those who think .45 is the be all and end all round, watch this video. Officer Reston was shot 7 times (once in the face) with a .45 caliber pistol. He survived to not only kill his opponent but to make a full recovery in 6 months.
    http://youtu.be/_1Pj1-Iw-X8
    I don't see anyone suggesting.45 as the end all be all. All handgun rounds have comprises. Someone liking .45 is not the same as thinking it's the end all be all. I can find stories of people surviving IEDs', airstrikes, 7.62, .44 Mag. 5.56 etc if you'd like. Your link proves nothing other than that officer is a strong warrior.

Again, why a. 45 shield is causing so much controversy baffles me. Users of the cartridge will like it. People who have settled on 9mm likely won't. We're talking handgun rounds here. All are full of compromises and none have nuclear capabilities.
    Worry less, Train more.

Feedback Score
    Just took one of these out for a drive. Very accurate pistol with a decent trigger, no problem keeping it in the black on a B8 from 10yds.

Stippling is great, and needed. You definitely know it's a 45 but it is doable for an experienced shooter.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by eightmillimeter View Post
    Just took one of these out for a drive. Very accurate pistol with a decent trigger, no problem keeping it in the black on a B8 from 10yds.

Stippling is great, and needed. You definitely know it's a 45 but it is doable for an experienced shooter.
    Would you see a value in owning one though?
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I shot one about a week ago. For comparison I owned both a Kahr P45 and a Glock 36. The shield is by far better handling gun than the both of them. The P45 was snappy and painful to shoot, the G36 was better recoil wise but with the size of my hands gen 3 glocks are hard for me to shoot. The recoil on the shield is more of a big and I mean big push backwards other than that with range ammo and some cheap hollow points my buddy had it was just loud and with a lot of flash, but with quality defensive stuff it wouldn't be that bad. As for accuracy it was shot between 7 and 10 yards and was more than adequate for social work. I like the grip texture a lot, so much so I want it on all my polymer guns, though I can see it wearing holes in clothes so be mindful. The only thing I don't care for on this gun is the forward serrations they are just too small to be useful.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Would you see a value in owning one though?
    Yes but for specific reasons:

1) You are already invested or have a preference for 45 ACP, be it logistic or personal

2) The standard shield is too small for you and you don't "mind" a 45

This one isn't one I'll buy simply because my cc needs are met already and I'm invested in 9mm at this point in life.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisreedrules View Post
    The market for a subcompact .45 exists mostly due to the fact that people who want them or "swear by" the .45 round is rife with the uneducated and the relatively inexperienced. 9mm is the new gold standard round for ccw and defense and it has been for years. If you like .45, buy a 1911. Otherwise, meh...
    Too much oversimplification. The .45 is an option, and far from an irrelevant one. It's a common round and thousands of shooters are heavily invested in the .45 for numerous reasons. It doesn't make them "uneducated" or "inexperienced" even if they swear by it. A CCW filled with 6 rounds of high performance JHP .45 ACP is not inherently wrong.

And no, this 9mm revival is fairly recent. The .40 was the quintessential defense round according to forum experts, SME's, ballistic testers, LE and Fed agencies and 9mm haters on the internet not all that long ago.
    Listen. Tell. Run Like Hell.

Feedback Score
    I've been carrying my 45 Shield for a few weeks now. The size is just right. Noticeably larger than my 9mm Shield. I'm neither uneducated or inexperienced.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by eightmillimeter View Post
    Yes but for specific reasons:

1) You are already invested or have a preference for 45 ACP, be it logistic or personal

2) The standard shield is too small for you and you don't "mind" a 45

This one isn't one I'll buy simply because my cc needs are met already and I'm invested in 9mm at this point in life.
    That would sum me up too.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    I won't be buying one. Recoil of a light, tiny .45acp is not pleasant. I'll stick with my 9mm Shield.
    Yeah. You'll see a lot of the .45 version for sale at gun shows, when people get bitten.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Recoil is surprisingly similar to that of the Shield in 40. Shooting the two pistols side by side it is hard to feel the difference other than the slightly larger grip on the 45.

Here are a couple reviews:

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...shield-pistol/

http://www.gunblast.com/SW-Shield.htm
    Last edited by Tokarev; 09-04-16 at 08:49.
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast