Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: S&W Shield Coming in 45 ACP!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Any results on this?

Quote Originally Posted by AKsarben View Post
    Ron, when I get a chance I'll test my Shield with a primed cartridge, no powder, no bullet, and take a big rubber dead blow hammer to it. If It is hit on barrel, rear, sides, etc multiple times HARD and doesn't fire the primer that is indicative of good sear and striker engagement. If after doing all that I can then "fire" the primed round in the chamber, it meant that the sear was always engaged. If it does go off the striker catch, and gt's caught by the striker safety, it may still fire when I pull the trigger even though it is not 100% cocked.

However...that would be for my pistol. Every pistol out there is unique. The only way to test for sure is if "your" pistol withstands the tests above.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrodder636 View Post
    Any results on this?
    I'm very happy to report that no matter how hard I struck it with the rubber mallet, side, barrel, back end, magazine end. no amount of really heavy hammer hits made it discharge a primed case. Multiple hits, multiple times. Sometimes I would bring the gun at the hammer at the same time I was directing a hit against the pistol with the mallet. It was way more severe than any mere dropping at 4 foot.

I carry it daily. I would never worry one bit about it. Also I have 2 extra 7 round magazines, but never carry them on person when I'm carrying. So how fast i can drop the mag and put another one in is moot. I carry an extra in my car "just in case" but never on my body. If I've had to shoot someone 3-4 times, and still have an aggressor, the next one goes into the head, and yes, I'm that good. I grew up on a ranch where I was taught to shoot animals in the head to be humane anyway.
    Vern
    Former Nebraskan
    http://taurus45acp.com My web site for NRA-ILA feed and info with links.
    What ever happend to "shall not be infringed."??

Feedback Score
    How is everyone's .45 Shield doing?

Mine is good.

Reading my old post, one thing hasn't changed, it's not a fast reload. Because the grip is short the 6 or 7 rd mag will be contacting my palm or a finger when I press the release. It's best to have the support hand pull the magazine out before going for the fresh one. Still thinner and faster than a revolver, though.

Pistol has been running fine. It carries a little better with the 6 rd flush magazine. Doesn't catch on clothes as much and seems to result in a better draw for me.

Carry ammo is 230 gr Ranger T. It's a bit flippier than FMJ. If I run out of this ammo and can't get another source I'll be considering Hornady 200 gr or 230 gr XTP, or HST 230 gr. I've heard the HST has a bright muzzle flash, though. I hate that. Pretty common with Federal ammo.

I need to look into replacing the recoil spring, I suppose. Anybody ordered one or know a good price?
    Last edited by Ron3; 12-16-18 at 22:18.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Why, other than the certainty that people will buy it?

Heavier recoil
    Lower capacity
    No difference in results

I'm keeping my 9mm Shield.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    Why, other than the certainty that people will buy it?

Heavier recoil
    Lower capacity
    No difference in results

I'm keeping my 9mm Shield.
    I never liked the gen 1 Shields. I also didnt care for how the small the 9mm was. A bit small for a belt gun, too big for a pocket gun.

The 2.0 came out first in .45 and with a $75 rebate and I liked the improvements, as well as it being just a little bigger.

Then I was impressed with how it handled recoil, it's trigger, and how accurate it was.

The 9mm 2.0 Shield came out much later.

The .45 only gives up one round and I still prefer it's size.
    Last edited by Ron3; 12-17-18 at 20:41.

Feedback Score
    Referring to AKSARBEN’s post on page 12, the fact of the matter is slide frame impact causes the round to want to jump forward, not hold it rearward.

This is why the dimple is present on 1911 magazines. The function of the scallops is exactly as I have stated. No brain fart on the engineering end.

Think about it. Slide frame impact does not make the round go rearward. It yanks the magazine backward in relation to the top round present. The top round tends to want to float unless nailed firmly to the magazine lips by a strong spring or physical block, as with 1911 magazines.

Feedback Score
    This is a well understood principle about the effects of inertial forces and how it is a challenge to get small pistols to work.

Again, slide frame impact yanks the gun and magazine rearward in relation to the top round, and the cartridge moves “forward” if sufficient resistance to movement is not present.

If doubt about the function of the scallops is present a call to the factory will clear that up.

Feedback Score
    The final suggestion is that before modifying anything, ask the engineers who designed it for their input. They are engineers and they designed the gun. There is a pretty fair chance they know something you do not.

Any respondent here a firearm designer? If you are not maybe best to talk to them about it first.

Feedback Score
    My suggestion is to read this thread. Someone actually called Smith and Wesson and the other poster’s guess as to their function is correct.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-w...-question.html

Feedback Score
    The final point is engineers like redundancies to ensure reliable function. A strong magazine spring in combination with other features like scallops helps ensure as the gun wears or heavier ammo of greater power is shot the gun remains reliable.

Engineers love redundancy to assure reliable function at extremes of use or wear. Small pistols need more redundancies than bigger pistols shooting the same cartridge.

Look at the vertical impact surface in the 45 frame and compare that to the 9mm Shield. It is different. Why might that be so?

Think redundancy and you are on the right track.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415