Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: S&W Shield Coming in 45 ACP!

Feedback Score
    What load are you carrying Ron? I am going to stay away from certain ones that are made for a 5" 1911 with the 3.3" barrel.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nml View Post
    What load are you carrying Ron? I am going to stay away from certain ones that are made for a 5" 1911 with the 3.3" barrel.
    Haven't really decided. Right now the fed. Pers. Def. 165 gr. It reduces carry weight. It shouldn't be a big expander from the short barrel so it should penetrate alright. Probably leaves the barrel around 900 fps.

I'd prefer something 185 gr or lighter to reduce pistol weight. Also Rapid fire is easier to control with lighter bullets. I haven't ruled out the 78 gr Liberty ammo for carry in the gun and 165-200 gr ammo for the spare mag (s).

I didn't pick the gun because I'm a .45 fan. I was just impressed with this particular gun/frame and it just happens to be .45.
    Last edited by Ron3; 04-30-17 at 21:46.

Feedback Score
    Check out the luckygunner tests. 3.5in barrel iirc. That 165 fails to expand reliably and the 78 disintegrates with insufficient penetration as expected. Penetration is less w most all hp designs due to increased area over 9mm and 40 but there are some reliable expanders. I dont look at the expansion diameters too much as it makes the Ranger T look too good but useful results either way.

Feedback Score
    Check out the luckygunner tests. 3.5in barrel iirc. That 165 fails to expand reliably and the 78 disintegrates with insufficient penetration as expected. Penetration is less w most all hp designs due to increased area over 9mm and 40 but there are some reliable expanders. I dont look at the expansion diameters too much as it makes the Ranger T look too good but useful results either way.
    I did. 4/5 of the 165 gr Hydrashoks expanded in this test using a 3.6 inch barrel. If they don't or don't much from the .3 inch shorter barrel of the Shield no big deal. They'll penetrate more and not too much left on them should they exit. They didn't do great in this test but I don't think they did bad either and I got a bunch for about 50 cents a round.

It seems no load gives ideal, predictable performance from a short barrel in all tests so I'm not stressing it. If someone tries to seriously harm me and must be shot I hope they are shot several times each. I'd hate to have to rely on one bullet hit. (when it's already been a bad day)

As for the Liberty load I originally dismissed them (when they came out) but looking at them later they have merit. They are very light in the gun, reduce recoil a little, and seem to function very well in all types of guns. They really tear several holes in the 2-4 inch mark. That could be limb, torso, or head. The remaining 50 gr or so base averages 11 inches. Not too bad. It does tend to arc off course. Missed shots should quickly slow down and be less dangerous to people way down range. This would also make them act like a less-penetrating ball round at 50? + yds away. Which is why I'd carry normal weight ammo in spare mags should range/penetration be a problem.

At close range (which is pretty much what were talking about) I think the Liberty ammo has something to offer. Less recoil, a lighter gun, more holes and still almost a foot of penetration in test media.
    Last edited by Ron3; 04-25-17 at 15:49.

Feedback Score
    Although I have 45 ball I hadn't decided on a jhp for the short barrel. Now looking at the XD-E 9mm ALSO but wpuld need a short barrel 9mm load anyways then.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...n-mp45-shield/

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    I always thought Shields rested at @60% cocked like Glocks do. I just learned they are more like @98% cocked.

Made me stop and think about that. But empirical data (tens of thousands of Shields out there and no rash of AD's) seems to indicate it's not a problem. Thoughts?

Feedback Score
    I'd like to see (or perform) barrier testing with the liberty defense from short barrels. The 9mm and .45 loads seem pretty consistent in test gelatin.

While my Shield eats the wider - mouthed HST and Gold Dots I noticed chambered rounds get a good hit from an edge that leaves an indentation in the bullet. That makes me nervous. As if they feed but barely.

Right now I put a round of HST in the chamber and the rest fmj. I wish the pistol had more barrel for more JHP choices but it is what it is.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    I always thought Shields rested at @60% cocked like Glocks do. I just learned they are more like @98% cocked.

Made me stop and think about that. But empirical data (tens of thousands of Shields out there and no rash of AD's) seems to indicate it's not a problem. Thoughts?
    Don't believe it is a problems as there is the firing pin/striker blocker that does not move up and out of the way until your trigger is squeezed back.
    Most of the striker fired pistols are now fully cocked at rest.
    Vern
    Former Nebraskan
    http://taurus45acp.com My web site for NRA-ILA feed and info with links.
    What ever happend to "shall not be infringed."??

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AKsarben View Post
    Don't believe it is a problems as there is the firing pin/striker blocker that does not move up and out of the way until your trigger is squeezed back.
    Most of the striker fired pistols are now fully cocked at rest.
    Yea I know but it still isn't as safe a gun that's kept half-cocked or a true DA.

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast