Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: S&W Shield Coming in 45 ACP!

Feedback Score
    I must be the only one here excited about this. I'll reserve judgment until I can try one out but this is what a lot of people have been asking for including me. I can't imagine running +P is going to be too pleasant but I'd wager the .45 will probably be more manageable than the .40SW. 6+1 and 7+1 is solid capacity in a subcompact .45ACP.

Now I'm just hoping a VP45 gets announced sometime this year.
    Worry less, Train more.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tacticaldesire View Post
    I must be the only one here excited about this. I'll reserve judgment until I can try one out but this is what a lot of people have been asking for including me. I can't imagine running +P is going to be too pleasant but I'd wager the .45 will probably be more manageable than the .40SW. 6+1 and 7+1 is solid capacity in a subcompact .45ACP.

Now I'm just hoping a VP45 gets announced sometime this year.
    What is it you are excited about? It seems to offer no advantages. The .45 round is, particularly in that barrel length no better and possibly less effective then premium 9mm rounds out of the same platform and for that reduction in capability you get fewer rounds and more recoil slowing down subsequent shots. What am I missing?

Feedback Score
    I can't speak for anyone else though myself and many others I know are more accurate with the 45round.

I'm a huge fan of 9mm and like 40 also but that 45 slug is tried and true for generations, I have to disagree about barrel length since 45 uses a faster power to push the heavy slug, I haven't seen much gains from 3 to 4.5.
    I'm very fond of the 200gr +P gold dot.

There's a few incoming at my lgs and I called dibs on one, I'll get a review when it comes in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I tried a Kahr in .45...tiny gun. The only reason I fired a second shot was to confirm the first one sucked as bad as it did.

My current carry rotation is XDsubc 9mm, M&P 40c, and a lightweight commander sized 1911 .45. The alloy frame compact 1911 has significantly more recoil than my full sized 1911, but is manageable and certainly not uncomfortable.

Sub c .45, NO THANKS.

If it's for you then rock on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jedi391 View Post
    What is it you are excited about? It seems to offer no advantages. The .45 round is, particularly in that barrel length no better and possibly less effective then premium 9mm rounds out of the same platform and for that reduction in capability you get fewer rounds and more recoil slowing down subsequent shots. What am I missing?
    What you're missing is that some people want different things.

There's lots of great, subcompact 9mm's out there. Now I want a subcompact .45. that's not an XDs or Glock 36. I would also argue against your summation that .45 out of a 3.3 inch barrel is less effective than 9mm out of a 3.1 inch barrel.

I shoot .45 just fine and have a lot of time and practice behind the cartridge. Nobody is arguing that 9mm doesn't provide faster followup shots. I'd think that's common knowledge to anyone who has been around firearms more than a day. There's compromises that have to be made no matter which cartridge one chooses and I have chosen the ones I am, and am not willing to make.

I like 9mm, and have never said anything to the contrary. It's a suitable round for pretty much anything and I don't feel unarmed with it in the slightest. That being said, .45 is the round I have chosen to primarily standardize on. That may be subject to change, but for now it's what I'm using. Whether or not you agree, I couldn't care less. I'm not interested in another .45 vs 9mm caliber war.

Also, the .45 model only losses one round in capacity compared to the 9mm. Pretty impressive if you ask me and a sacrifice I'm willing to make. And like I said, I will reserve judgement until I can get my hands on one. It could turn out to be a bust and I wind up hating it.
    Last edited by tacticaldesire; 05-21-16 at 02:38.
    Worry less, Train more.

Feedback Score
    So basically it's because you standardized on the 45 and this simplifies logistics? I could understand that, I was just curious if you saw an independent advantage going to a larger, heavier recoiling round, with less capacity and no real gain in round to round performance. I was curious if there was some objective performance advantage I wasn't seeing. Kind of like Boombitz identified greater accuracy for him with the .45

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    I'll stay with my Shield 9mm too but here is a look see.

http://www.quanticotactical.com/asp/...MSN=Shields%99
    POW-MIA, #22untilnone
    Let Us #NeverForget!

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you,
    but it's still on my list.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Here are some comparison pics to a 9mm I took today at the NRA SHOW...

"When you go home, Tell them of us and say, For your tomorrow, We gave our today."

Feedback Score
    7 (89%)
    I'm super excited about this.

I've literally been asking for this since the M&P Shield line came out. I'm a huge fan of the .45ACP round, always have been. I own plenty of 9mm's. I have a GLOCK 43, M&P9 Shield, HK P30, GLOCK 17 Gen4 and an FNX-9. I own way more .45's though. I've just always preferred them for carry.

My current summer and warm weather EDC is the GLOCK 43 9mm with Trijicon HD's. I carry with a Taran Tactical +1 on it, and two spare 43 mags with Taran +2's, about to be upgraded to +3's. However if it's even a little cool out and I can wear a jacket or a hoodie, I almost ALWAYS grab my HK 45C. It's my favorite carry gun but a little wide for my tastes.

I've bee over on the M&P Pistol forum saying Smith & Wess should make this gun for ages. Why not? GLOCK has their GLOCK 36. Springfield has that XD-S .45. I've literally emailed them a couple dozen times tell them if they made it, we could buy it.

The last time I emailed and to them that a couple months ago one of the gals just replied with a smiley face. I asked WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?!!?? Is it coming? I got no reply LOL!

Guess now I know! That said, I like the size.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Love my Shield 9mm. I won't be buying the .45 anytime soon since my experience with the XDs .45. Good for those who want them!
    Life's a risk, enjoy the adventure - HOPLOETHOS

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast