Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Groomsmen Gifts - Knives

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Groomsmen Gifts - Knives

Hey guys, getting married in the next few months and looking to do knives for my groomsmen gifts. I'm thinking about going with the Griptilian as a decent and versatile EDC knife that won't break the bank (I need 5 in total). It used to be my EDC knife before I got an SKD ZT. Anyway, they cheapest I've been able to find them for was $79.95 through GovX. Anyone know anywhere to get them cheaper? I realize $80 is already pretty low, but just checking to see if anyone knew of anything lower. Also, for those of you that have done knives for groomsmen gifts, what did you go with? Any other recommendations?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    In that price range I would personally go with the S30V Blur, the blade steel is quite a bit better than CPM 154. There are a few nice Spyderco options out there as well like the Manix 2 C101PBL2 or Spyderco Native with S35VN steel. Some other suggestions are the H&K mini axis (if you want the axis lock but better steel- has D2 steel),Lionsteel Daghetta with D2 (this is a bit more pricey around $85, and the Kershaw Knockout with Sandvik 14C28N Steel. Those are just a few in the $60-70 range if you shop around. Don't get me wrong, as I carry either a mini grip or a full size grip daily, but mine have custom handles (the ones they ship with are terrible imo), and mine have Doug Ritter blades made from m390....these are closer to $200 in cost, and are excellent. The base model Griptilians are overpriced imo, you pay for the Axis lock and the name, as the rest of the mats should have the Grips sub $50 easy, and mini Grips should be around $30. Personally, I would get the Blur, as they are assisted opening, you can get them around $70 with S30V, and if you want to stay under that you can get Sandvik models for around $50. Like the Grip, there are literally 100's of different styles and sprint runs, and they are hella fun to just flip open. You can remove the speed safe opening spring, and the detent still makes the knife super fast to open...like I said tons of options.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Give them waved delicas. The wave also makes an excellent beer bottle opener. I have yet to find a better knife for the money.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    $80 is the lowest price you can expect for new mini griptilians.

For a groomsman's present I'd personally recommend a Victorinox Swiss Army knife slightly ahead of a mini griptilian or delica. I own them all but love and use my "SAKs" the most. There are multiple choices at every price point up to that of a mini griptilian. Swisschamps and Cybertools near $80, delux tinkers, farmers, and trekkers at $40, cadets, spartans, and tinkers under $25.

Also, congratulations on getting hitched!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    i've seen this done with griptilians. it made me envious. the grip is the most common benchmade and it's obviously one of the best edc options.

i've also seen engraved mora knives used as wedding gifts. they now offer full tang knives.

Feedback Score
    Whatever knife you go with, this is (supposed to be) a once in a lifetime event. Spring for some engraving on each one so it is a personal gift.

Congrats to you. I wish you both a lifetime of love and support.
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    I did benchmade north fork folders for my wedding a few months ago. If you order direct from their website you can get engraving on the blade... text or logos. The 4 knifes shipped the same week

Feedback Score
    Benchmade offers a pro deal direct, and there are discount codes that can be found that you can stack on top to get a plain Jane Griptilian for under 60 USD before S&H. The pro deal also discounts any laser marking on the blades you want to spring for.
    Last edited by Defaultmp3; 05-21-16 at 17:17.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    I received a Benchmade Griptilian as a groomsmen gift years ago. The groom had our initials engraved in the blade. I do not carry it any more since it has dulled and has some decent knicks from hard use. But it is still a treasured piece.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Went with a classic Case slip joint with a handle to match our wedding color - had the blades engraved with groomsmens initials. Very classy and everyone loved them and still uses them. My guys were not really knife people. Congrats!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast