Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Streamlining the new 41F requirements?

Feedback Score

Streamlining the new 41F requirements?

Just saw on TFB where it looks like Silencer Shop is taking pretty extreme measures to make things as simple and efficient as possible after 41F goes into effect. Essentially adding fingerprint scanning kiosks at most if not all of their "powered by" dealers and then handling the passport photo requirement though a mobile app.

What I'm wondering is if they'll be the only ones doing this or if we could expect a lot of NFA dealers to have similar setups for scanning fingerprints and taking passport photos at the location and time of sale.

Either way I think it's awesome that people in the industry are going to such lengths to reduce the ATF induced headaches. Hopefully the added convenience will reduce some of the pre-41F panic buying as well.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...ew-41f-system/

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by plinkerr View Post
    Just saw on TFB where it looks like Silencer Shop is taking pretty extreme measures to make things as simple and efficient as possible after 41F goes into effect. Essentially adding fingerprint scanning kiosks at most if not all of their "powered by" dealers and then handling the passport photo requirement though a mobile app.

What I'm wondering is if they'll be the only ones doing this or if we could expect a lot of NFA dealers to have similar setups for scanning fingerprints and taking passport photos at the location and time of sale.

Either way I think it's awesome that people in the industry are going to such lengths to reduce the ATF induced headaches. Hopefully the added convenience will reduce some of the pre-41F panic buying as well.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...ew-41f-system/
    My wife is not going to like this. I told her I was done buying suppressors, lol.

Pretty cool, IF everything runs smoothly and the ATF doesn't try to stop this method of form submission.
    "When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    I think this is awesome of them to try to keep it easy for us. Now if they could get back on board with some of the major manufacturers again. I'm pretty sure they've lost the deal with Silencerco and Dead Air over pricing problems.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    My local dealer is talking about doing the same thing.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    The entire kiosk system was designed and developed by Silencer Shop itself, literally requiring millions of dollars of investment capital.
    I appreciate what they are doing but millions to take a simple photo? There must be a hundred passport apps and that's if if you simply can't understand how to take a picture of your face.

The finger print thing is interesting. Not sure how they are going to do that. I wonder what's going to happen when that system is hacked or will it even matter. Aside from it producing legit prints. Is it really that hard to drop by the station and have a leo take your prints?

It seems like a huge waste of money to me. It's good customer relations but it just seems unnecessary.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tb-av View Post
    I appreciate what they are doing but millions to take a simple photo? There must be a hundred passport apps and that's if if you simply can't understand how to take a picture of your face.

The finger print thing is interesting. Not sure how they are going to do that. I wonder what's going to happen when that system is hacked or will it even matter. Aside from it producing legit prints. Is it really that hard to drop by the station and have a leo take your prints?

It seems like a huge waste of money to me. It's good customer relations but it just seems unnecessary.
    Photos will be by some app they're releasing. That's not where the millions comes in.

They posted elsewhere it was ~$1.5M for the fingerprint kiosks. Im assuming that's for the initial 300 based on how the question and answer were phrased. Guess we'll see how many more get added, as I think they have 1700 SSPB dealers.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tb-av View Post
    Is it really that hard to drop by the station and have a leo take your prints?
    It's a pain in the ass here for the most part.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BigWaylon View Post

They posted elsewhere it was ~$1.5M for the fingerprint kiosks. Im assuming that's for the initial 300 based on how the question and answer were phrased.
    My company is a kiosk host for a couple of electronic fingerprint services providers in several of our locations. $5,000 for a kiosk is a little high, but not outrageously so.

If Silencer Shop does it right, the shops they partner with can also provide services for other entities authorized to receive fingerprint-based criminal histories (financial institutions, school systems, more-and-more state regulatory boards, etc.) . At $2.50 - $5.00 a customer, very little admin time, a little floor space, and a tiny slice of an internet connection, the ROI tilts positive in very short order.

Kudos to them!
    Last edited by MJN1957; 05-26-16 at 22:11.

Feedback Score
    Pretty sure I saw $25/suppressor as the fee to use it...at least for a dealer selling from their own inventory instead of a SS Powered By purchase. So the time to recoup the expense could be much faster.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by domestique View Post
    and the ATF doesn't try to stop this method of form submission.
    Don't worry. There are plenty more letters in the alphabet for the ATF to use in making NFA purchases more PITA.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast