Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm on the fence between two uppers.

Feedback Score

I'm on the fence between two uppers.

Im new to M4C, but have been searching the forums for about a year now doing research. I've been eyeing two complete uppers lately for for my first AR. A DD 16" carbine length with a 12" MFR rail, and a BCM BFH 16" mid length with KMR alpha. They're both within my budget, but I'm stuck on the decision of which to go with.

I know what specs to look for in AR parts from searching around the forum for quite a while, and with that being said I know both BCM and DD are respectable companies, but i do have several questions.

Between the two, which barrel will be the most consistent/accurate?

Is the BCM BCG of higher quality over the DD BCG?

Which rail will hold up to more hard use? The 12" MFR is heavier, but it looks tougher than the KMR Alpha.

The DD is cheaper than the BCM by about $100, but if the BCM is of better quality(I'm mostly concerned with the BCG and barrel), I'd rather spend the hundred and get the better parts. This will most likely be my only AR and I want it done right on the first go round.

Thank you in advance for any advice and knowledge given. And I apologize if these are repeat questions, but i searched around and didn't find the exact answers i was looking for so i figured it better ask. Links to each upper below.

DD: https://www.westernsport.com/product...ntVerticalTab1

BCM: http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Produ...6-BFH-KMR-A-13

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Both are very high quality, you are safe with either decision.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score

I'm on the fence between two uppers.

Quality will pretty much be a wash between the 2, both uppers will be high quality and couldn't go wrong with either. Accuracy will probably be about the same also.

As for durability, run over either one with a truck and continue shooting. They'll both take a beating

Having said that I'd take the BCM

Lighter than the DD
    prefer keymod system
    Much prefer mid over carbine on a 16 barrel

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by boombotz401; 05-26-16 at 18:23.

Feedback Score
    Thanks fellas. I appreciate the reassurance.

Feedback Score
    Both are quality uppers. Both should be equally capable. The only major difference between the two is the rail. Choose between the two based on which rail you prefer. Keymod has more after market support while the DD is proprietary.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Ha. Only AR. Good one. Personally, I'd take the BCM. As others have said, both are great but I think BCM offers more for the money and their parts (Gunfighter line) have more thought and experience put into them. The DD rail may be stronger (no personal experience) but the KMR Alpha is not a weak rail. It also has a MUCH more heavily supported mounting system. I wouldn't buy any rail now that isn't Keymod or MLOK, unless it was old school quad rail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    The MFR rail from DD is about the only part they have made that I would tell people to stay away from. It also doesn't share the time tested typical DD mounting system.

With either company, I would choose a mid-length gas system. For DD rails I would look for either the SLiM or DDM4 rail. Both are excellent and use the same mounting system.

You can't go wrong choosing either BCM or DD. Both are outstanding companies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Ha. Only AR. Good one. Personally, I'd take the BCM.
    Well, only AR I have planned at this time. I like my bolt guns and M14's, but my boss in the dakotas had me shooting prarie dogs and coyotes with his AR and now I need one of my own.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightstalker865 View Post
    The MFR rail from DD is about the only part they have made that I would tell people to stay away from. It also doesn't share the time tested typical DD mounting system.
    Any other reason you'd stay away from the MFR besides the mounting system and weight?

I'm leaning toward the mid length gas. It's the only gas system I've ever shot before and i liked it. Plus I already have an H2 buffer and that seems to be a preferred buffer weight for mid length shooters.

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Between those 2... the BCM. Mid gas on a 16 is a must and will run that H2 buffer like a champ. Jump on that BCM and don't look back.
    Philippians 4:13

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast