Thread: Dormant Butt Syndrome

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Dormant Butt Syndrome

I know, sounds like an Onion skit, but it may be the cause of pain and dysfunction:

Those Aches In Your Knees, Hips And Back Could Actually Be A Pain In The Butt

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork)– Do your knees, hips or back hurt, especially when you exercise?

The problem may not be coming from those body parts, but actually from your behind, CBS2’s Dr. Max Gomez reported.

Jennifer Ernst was training for a half marathon when she began having pain in her right knee.

“I continued to run, thinking that it would just go away. But then eventually the pain got so severe that I couldn’t run. It was a stabbing pain in my knee,” Ernst said.

An MRI showed a tear in her meniscus so severe that it required surgery. Afterward, Ernst’s physical therapist said the problem with her knee may have actually started a bit high up on herbody with a condition called Dormant Butt Syndrome.

“It basically refers to the gluteus maximus or the glute muscles just not functioning as efficiently as they should,” Chris Kolba, a physical therapist at Ohio State Wexner Medical Center, said.

He said your butt is the root of a lot of knee, hip, and back pain issues. When glute muscles aren’t strong enough, the muscles and joints around them absorb extra strain, causing damage.

It’s not just exercise that causes problems. Patients can also suffer from Dormant Butt Syndrome by sitting too much and even by sleeping in the fetal position. The good news? There are ways to prevent it before serious damage is done.

“Stretching your front of your thigh, stretching your hip flexor, and then doing some exercises to specifically activate the glutes and the the lateral hips as well,” Kolba said.

Ernst said she assumed that running was enough to strengthen her back side, until she suffered a major injury.

“I think that’s where we get into trouble as runners is we don’t do enough cross-training or strength training,” she said.

Even if you exercise, you still may have weak gluteal muscles, especially if your job requires you to sit most of the day. In that case, take frequent walk breaks or get a stand-up desk, Dr. Gomez suggests. You can also do exercise at home or at the gym specifically aimed at strengthening your glutes.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2016/05/...butt-syndrome/
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    29 (100%)
    I do stretches because I sit for long periods of time when I fly. 5 minutes a day stretching hip flexors and thighs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Marines love CLP. Chow, libo, pussy.

Beyond that everything else is a crap shoot.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nimdabew View Post
    I do stretches because I sit for long periods of time when I fly. 5 minutes a day stretching hip flexors and thighs.
    Me too. I have actually been doing more glute specific stuff as even the normal workouts I do not offsetting all the sitting I do.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I now stand during work meetings, after reading some clinical trial data out of England about the effects of 'too much sitting whilst working'.

Can't say I feel any better, as I have no issues to otherwise complain about ... but I will tell you that standing while others are sitting sure freaks some people out! It's almost like walking into a crowded elevator ... and staying faced the way you walked in, LOL!

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    All the more reason to squat properly. Lol

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I've been training for a half marathon and experienced some of this. My PT put me on a hip and glut exercise regimen. She said typically she would not recommend running for those who can't do 6 one legged squats per side. I can tell a difference in my runs now and have much better form than before.

Feedback Score
    Did some (bulgarian) split squats last night. Cheeks were stimulated.

Imo a pretty good glutes exercise especially if you do it with full ROM to the ground with the trailing leg.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Yep Will nails it, as usual on these subjects. I recently had right knee and right lower back pain during workouts, went to physical therapist. Turns out I needed exercises to strengthen around the glutes and hips, problem solved. The PT said this is super common and counter-intuitive, people think the problem is actually in their knee or back, but that's more a symptom of weak core muscles in the hips and glutes.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by QuickStrike View Post
    Did some (bulgarian) split squats last night. Cheeks were stimulated.

Imo a pretty good glutes exercise especially if you do it with full ROM to the ground with the trailing leg.
    Bulgarian split squats are probably the most underrated movement around and I have been doing them regularly the last few years.

Quote Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
    Yep Will nails it, as usual on these subjects. I recently had right knee and right lower back pain during workouts, went to physical therapist. Turns out I needed exercises to strengthen around the glutes and hips, problem solved. The PT said this is super common and counter-intuitive, people think the problem is actually in their knee or back, but that's more a symptom of weak core muscles in the hips and glutes.
    Good deal, at least you found the source of the problem.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info: