Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help Me Build My SBR and My SBS

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Help Me Build My SBR and My SBS

Hello all,

I obtained a trust a week ago, signed and notarized.. so that part is done.

I want to have or build or whatever an AR-15 SBR and a Pump 12ga SBS

I have search the google for hours and hours and haven't found standard process or DIY guide for building a SBR/SBS. With so much info out there I think I have actually confused myself even more..

Some of you already have built SBR's and SBS's so perhaps you fellas can offer insight on some....

THIS IS HOW I WOULD BUILD MY SBR/SBS NOW THAT I'VE DONE IT A FEW TIMES....

Also since I want to do it right and I only want to do it once.. I was thinkin:

Colt 6920 for the SBR
    Rem 870 for the SBS

thoughts?

Have at it gents..

Regards,

Sean P

P.S. Reading the SBR by Scottyran as we speak..

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Just pick a lower and efile it. PSA has blem complete lowers for $139 shipped right now. Pick the upper up later on.

Personally, I don't support the Freedom Group, so I wouldn't buy a Remington, but it's fine either way.
    When you're done saying what you're saying, stop saying it.

Feedback Score
    the lower is what you file the Form 1 with, correct?

Does quality on a lower matter? i.e. colt 6920 lower v/s PSA blem lower?

Also to avoid the new requirements under 41F i just have to efile or mail before July 12'th right?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Price View Post
    the lower is what you file the Form 1 with, correct?

Does quality on a lower matter? i.e. colt 6920 lower v/s PSA blem lower?

Also to avoid the new requirements under 41F i just have to efile or mail before July 12'th right?
    It absolutely does! Do more reading and decide if you want forged or billet, but for God's sake, this is where you want to put a few extra bucks (along with the BCG, trigger and barrel). I'm not saying the PSA lower is not decent, but there are better ones out there and that's for you to decide, based on your research and stock you put in opinions from other people, here and elsewhere.

Based on that, billet has some benefits for first time builders. A lot (Not all) of them offer ambi controls. You have to decide if that's important to you but generally, having them doesn't come with a trade-off, so I'd get an ambi lower. Billet receivers also use fewer tools such as the *whisper* bolt catch pin, safety detent, forward assist and takedown and pivot pin detents are all allen head machine screws instead of roll pins. Such talk gets the purists bowels in an uproar, but this translates to an easier assembly and less chance of garring the finish d/t a slipped punch!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    You can pay extra for a billet lower if that's what you prefer. My standard one worked fine for me in Iraq for 12 months of dismounted movements.

My PSA blem lower is one of my SBR's, along with a 6920. They both have geissele triggers in them and I can't tell them apart, except for the receipts.

If it were me, which it isn't, or you asked my opinion, which you didn't, I'd buy a PSA blem lower, efile it, and put a BCM upper on it.

Whatever your game is, just do it. It takes 90 days for your stamp to come back, start now.
    Last edited by CPM; 05-25-16 at 18:51.
    When you're done saying what you're saying, stop saying it.

Feedback Score
    Fewer tools is not any reason to select a lower.

Feedback Score
    870 is simple. File the form. Once it's approved, cut the barrel or buy a short one.

You can get down to ~12.5" for factory config, or 14" with a +1 tube extension.

Since the Mossberg 500 series has a 5-shell tube, ~14" is as short as you can go without altering anything else.

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    If I was getting a lower specifically for an SBR I'd grab a Sionics lower with the A5 buffer.

http://sionicsweaponsystems.com/stor...ifle-zero.html

E-File it for an 11.5" barrel and work out the rest after that.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Pick a lower with a roll mark you like, because it'll be with you for life. Make sure it functions. Then SBR it.

Feedback Score
    If you value ambidextrous control, there's nothing that can touch an ADM billet lower. Everything is fenced and the right side bolt catch (read, not just a release) is brilliantly natural and debris resistant.

http://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/160734/86670.JPG
    Last edited by VelveteenMole; 05-26-16 at 04:24.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast