Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: over the barrel suppressor question

Feedback Score

over the barrel suppressor question

I would like to keep the added length of a suppressor to a minimum. This question would be for a 10.5 inch 5.56 barrel.

I was wondering if the blast chamber could be moved between the gas block and the muzzle where it would attach right in front of the gas block. the O.D. would be about 2 inches so that would give about 2 inches of total volume with the over the barrel portion if the first baffle about .75 inches in front of the muzzle/flash hider to send the gas rearward first then through the baffle assembly. the best way I could describe it would be something like a barrel shroud but the shroud would be an expansion chamber.

Would pressures be a problem with having the first baffle so close to the muzzle with the exiting gas coming in to contact the first baffle so soon... or would that be offset by the expansion chamber that was located behind the muzzle

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    What can are you talking about?

Yes, that would more than likely be an issue, and I have never heard if anything like that. If you don't like your barrel length at 10.5 buy 300 blackout in a smaller length rather than monkey with a can.

At the end of the day there's nothing you'll do where you'll really appreciate the "extra" two inches anyway.
    When you're done saying what you're saying, stop saying it.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Reflex-style suppressors have been around for a while. Surefire started their suppressor division with reflex designs, KAC's M110 suppressor sleeves all the way back to the gas block, and today Griffin Armament and Allen Engineering both make reflex cans (there are probably others out there).

How does your concept differ from these...?
    Scout Rider for the Mongol Hordes

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by caporider View Post
    Reflex-style suppressors have been around for a while.
    What this intelligent guy said.

Most every reflex design is just a longer can so you don't actually save any length. They make shorter 5.56 cans but they are usually designed for 14.5+ barrels since shorter barrels usually need more sound reduction. But technically there is nothing to stop you if warrantied for a shorter barrel length.

Feedback Score
    29 (100%)
    My SPR/M4 is a reflex can. I am kinda lackluster on it, but it does really well for sound reduction. I have been toying around with the idea of throwing it on a 16" barrel with a 12.5" rail to make maximum use of both pieces of equipment. It would then be delighted to a DMR type weapon and not for lugging around. That's what the SBR is for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Marines love CLP. Chow, libo, pussy.

Beyond that everything else is a crap shoot.

Feedback Score
    Do a form 1, and build it. It would be a fun project.

I think you'll find that it takes a few baffles and some length to separate all that gas and noise from the back of the bullet as it travels, though. Reflex designs do work, but on a 10.5 there is not much room between the end of the barrel and the front sight post/gas block, and it gets in the way.... as would the hand guard.

I think if you put a lot of time and effort into building it, you'd probably come to the conclusion that there were better ways to get to where you wanted to be...as the industry already has.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Have you maybe considered an OSS?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Maybe you should use brake instead of flash hider. With brake gases will be ported to sides (more vs FH) before hitting blast baffle. I have a Form1 filed and I am thinking of doing reflex style suppressor as well.

ETA: This is not my pic, pulled off google images. This is direction I am leaning with 8" OAL 7.6" Ti tube.

Last edited by lunchbox; 05-28-16 at 10:11.
    ^^ Read with southern accent !^^ and blame all grammatical errors on Alabama's public school system.
    Technique is nothing more than failed style. Cecil B DeMented
    "If you can't eat it or hump it, piss on it and walk away."-Dog
    Go where the food is.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Any updates to this thread? I was looking at getting a Griffin SPR suppressor for my SPR build but they are not in stock anywhere and according to my dealer Griffin is considering discontinuing the SPR cans. I have looked at AMTAC and they seem to be well built and have some modularity to them but they are direct thread. I was wanting something that uses a mounting device so I could use the rifle sans can if I wanted and store the rifle without the can. The Allen Engineering cans are 15ish year old technology and the barrel has to be profiled for their brake and collar system.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lunchbox View Post
    Maybe you should use brake instead of flash hider. With brake gases will be ported to sides (more vs FH) before hitting blast baffle. I have a Form1 filed and I am thinking of doing reflex style suppressor as well.

ETA: This is not my pic, pulled off google images. This is direction I am leaning with 8" OAL 7.6" Ti tube.

I know that guy in case you have any questions...and don't know Ryan.

He's on several forums, but I don't believe he's in M4C.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast