Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: over the barrel suppressor question

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAMBONE View Post
    Any updates to this thread? I was looking at getting a Griffin SPR suppressor for my SPR build but they are not in stock anywhere and according to my dealer Griffin is considering discontinuing the SPR cans. I have looked at AMTAC and they seem to be well built and have some modularity to them but they are direct thread. I was wanting something that uses a mounting device so I could use the rifle sans can if I wanted and store the rifle without the can. The Allen Engineering cans are 15ish year old technology and the barrel has to be profiled for their brake and collar system.
    If you need to store the rifle without the suppressor, get a thread protector.

Through October, AMTAC is paying for the stamp if you order a suppressor from their website.

AMTAC over the barrel suppressors add 3.7" to the overall length. That makes a 16 inch barrel a 19.7 inch barrel. Compare to that to an 11.5 inch barrel with a direct thread Omega coming in at 17.185 inches. The 11.5 inch barrel & Omega is still 3 inches shorter, but the difference in velocity is going to be 500 fps or more. If the AMTAC is mounted on a 14.5 inch barrel, the difference in over all length is about an inch.

The concept definitely has it's merits and if I had the money, I'd be investing in three AMTACs

https://amtacsuppressors.com/
    Last edited by MistWolf; 05-26-17 at 10:13.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    IT is also known as a 2 point mount suppressor, may or may not be a reflex design.

A 2 point is a superior mounting system in that the weight of the can is spread across the the barrel threads and a (usually) a mounting cone farther back on the barrel towards the breach. This is a lot less barrel stress than mounting the entire can's weight only on the threaded end of the barrel.

Problem is that the vast majority of explosive gases tend to flow in a linear straight line right behind the bullet instead of filling the expansion chamber and reflex areas nicely. I know that is hard to believe (especially to anyone who has been around somebody using an effective brake on the firing line), but there is a reason the industry uses single point, longer length cans. Volume and baffles in front of the muzzle are more effective than behind the muzzle.

Another issue is the can has to be fully contained from muzzle to 2nd mount point behind muzzle or else corrosion of barrel is pretty bad. You've seen what muzzle devices that mount a can look like, think of your entire shrouded barrel looking like that.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Mist,
    The AMTAC is the one I am leaning towards now. I can live without a muzzle device but really don't won't to reprofile my brand new Rainier barrel or install the collar and brake system. Plus Allen Eng/Ops Inc cans are at least 15 year old tech.

Anybody have any experience with the AMTAC cans?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12