Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Please evaluate my build list

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pubb View Post
    Thanks for a thoughtful reply.

From what I have been reading, there are lots of incompatibilities: bolts and trigger groups, buffers that are too heavy/light, etc. I would rather not have to buy and return if I can avoid it.

I also asked specifically if people had any experiences they could share with the parts listed.

Thanks,

P

Seems to me that not too many people here frequent this AR pistol sub forum. You might have better luck asking in the AR General Discussion forum, and hopefully someone with experience building 9mm AR's can give you some answers.

Feedback Score
    Howdy!

i've build 2 9mm ar's for personal use and helped several others to get their shit running.

the Hahn block is great, mags should be Colt/Metalform or C-Products. Pro-Mags will fu#k you unless there is a special way to treat them (got 3, 2 cracked -NONE work)

for buffers: I perfer the Vltør A5 H4 in a standard milspec buffertube, this will save the bolt catch.
    there are lots of springs out there, and IF i remember correctly -a +10% spring is what iuse.

some Jard triggers may or may not give you trouble, mine gave me lot's of "hammer follow's", worked flawlessly in 556 and i did not want to mess it up :-)

if you can get a suppressor where you live, get one.
    it adds a lot of life quality...

hope this helps, if it's not too late.
    Regards, Beerman

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by beerman View Post
    Howdy!

i've build 2 9mm ar's for personal use and helped several others to get their shit running.

the Hahn block is great, mags should be Colt/Metalform or C-Products. Pro-Mags will fu#k you unless there is a special way to treat them (got 3, 2 cracked -NONE work)

for buffers: I perfer the Vltør A5 H4 in a standard milspec buffertube, this will save the bolt catch.
    there are lots of springs out there, and IF i remember correctly -a +10% spring is what iuse.

some Jard triggers may or may not give you trouble, mine gave me lot's of "hammer follow's", worked flawlessly in 556 and i did not want to mess it up :-)

if you can get a suppressor where you live, get one.
    it adds a lot of life quality...

hope this helps, if it's not too late.
    Regards, Beerman
    Thanks very much - this is exactly the sort of info that I was looking for.

Feedback Score
    I second the use of Hahn magazine blocks. Note that there are top and bottom loading versions. Back during one of the "scares," I had both versions on back order willing to use whatever came in first. They both arrived about the same time. I tried them both. If I recall correctly, the top loading version will lock the bolt back when the mag goes empty. I don't think the bottom version does that.

Brownells brand mags run great in my pistol and rifle versions.

Feedback Score
    both top and bottom hahn blocks will lock the bolt back, there are also bottom loaders that will not lock.

i also tried a plastic block, it was fairly cheap and ended up in the dumpster.

got JP bolt and silent captured spring in my latest build. -it's a fantastic range toy

Feedback Score
    I had that backwards. I wanted to use the top loading block figuring it was more secure, but the bottom worked fine and uses the standard bolt catch.

From the Hahn website, the bottom "Adapter loads in from the bottom of the magazine well and secures with a tension device. Ideal for users using AR 9mm magazines and frequently changing between calibers. Holds the bolt open on the last round with AR 9mm magazines."

The top "Adapter drops into the top of the receiver and virtually impossible to remove unless the upper receiver is opened. Ideal for users using converted Uzi 9mm magazines not concerned with having the bolt hold open feature. Bolt hold open works with AR 9mm magazines when special 9mm bolt catch is installed after the adapter. Uzi magazines require modification."

With the bottom block, a twist of an allen wrench removes the block. Swap uppers and you are in rifle business.

There is also a dedicated block that is a top loader that uses the standard bolt catch.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    The Hanh block has worked great for me. Get one. The rest is realky personal. I don't care for quad rails. I don't need or want all the rail space. They're also more money. The Shock Wave is a great option. I like mine and it works well. Look at a QD end plate. They offer a great sling point. Especially on a pistol AR.
    Last edited by usmcvet; 07-05-16 at 10:10.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12