Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: G30s initial impressions

Feedback Score

G30s initial impressions

I picked up a G30S yesterday. I had been looking for a new pistol that would be easier to carry in these hot months than my P227 SAS or G20. I initially had looked into a G29 but I could not find one locally.

I love my G20 but it is so bulky it is very hard to conceal in the summer. I found a really good deal on a used one but I drug my feet and it slipped away. I then thought about a G19, I have never owned one and I had only shot one a few times. It seemed to be a really good balance of size; not to large not to small.

Guns like the 26 never appealed to me because they were just to small for my hands. I was turned onto the 30s but again I could not find one to handle. I don't like to buy things, especially guns that I can not handle first. I called every place I could think of but nobody had a G30S. My favorite shop however did have a G29 and about 8 G19s in gens 3 and 4.

I found an amazing deal on a G19 Gen4 but the seller backed out, after he explained the situation I was disappointed but I completely understood where he was coming from. I called my lgs yesterday and they still had the G29 so I decided to go check it out. I was ready to buy it when the guy I usually deal with came in and said "hold on I think I have something you are going to really like."

He went into the back and came out with a block G30s. They had just got it in the night before. I honestly did not think the reduction in slide width would make that much of a difference but I fell in love with that gun. I asked for the best price out the door and I feel I got a great deal so I brought it home.

I find the length of the grip to be perfect, the thickness is ideal and even loaded with 10rds of 45 acp the weight is stellar. I put 50 rds through it today and I found the recoil to be more than manageable, I was really surprised to find that it did not feel snappy at all. I am going to have the finger grooves removed and the trigger guard double undercut.

I never liked the finger grooves and the right side of my middle finger rubs a bit on the outside edge of the trigger guard, other than that I have zero complaints. For a gun of this size and weight I don't think the G30s can be beat.

Last edited by awdxtc; 05-30-16 at 20:37.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Glad to here you got the gun you wanted in the end.

Of course now, since you posted this, you are now obligated by forum karma to to a long term torture test, 10's of thousands of rounds, and buy a Glock 19 so you can do comparison photos
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    I'll have comparison photos up in a few days.

Feedback Score
    You won't be disappointed with your purchase. I've had my 30s for about a year now, and absolutely love it. Very mild to shoot, accurate, and genuinely concealable. If I recall, the overall footprint of the 30s is almost identical to the 19. I was completely new to glocks, so for me the trigger took some getting used to. But that just meant more range time!

Now, let me actually try to contribute something here. I did find an issue with my magazines, or at least one of them. Occasionally, one of the last couple rounds would get hung up and fail to feed. All it took to clear was to pull the slide back and let it go; like when loading a new mag with the slide locked back. It was odd, would happen a couple of times per range trip, and with all types of ammo. I ultimately found that the edge of the magazine housing, directly adjacent to the follower, had a "lip" on it that was occasionally catching the case mouth. I unfortunately had not been tracking the failures, but thought it was an issue with both mags. I identified the one that seemed to have a larger "lip", had my gunsmith file it down, and marked the bottom with some OD green paint; so that I could start tracking any failures. Since then I've not had a single issue with either mag. So, absent having tracked it initially, I believe that the previous failures were all coming from the magazine we filed down. I was likely a fluke in the machining, but I wanted to share in the event anyone else ever winds up with that issue. Easy fix.
    "I actually managed to figure this one out: you've got to find a woman who loves God more than she loves you -- albeit just barely."

-Army Chief

I did not know the man quoted above, and joined this Forum after his passing. He seemed to be a leader of men; both spiritually and physically. Someone we'd all be proud to emulate.

Feedback Score
    Congrats, the G30s is a good pistol.

Feedback Score
    Nice choice.

But dude,
    Saying you don't have a G19 is like saying you have never been laid.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ramairthree View Post
    Nice choice.

But dude,
    I skipped it and went right for a 22 then a 20 lol

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Nice choice.

But dude,
    In that case. I have a crate... A couple. At least one!

Awh man, there goes my day.

In all reality, with bigger hands, I have never minded the pinky fall-off of the 26.

I haven't spent any time looking at "s" model glocks. But after seeing this, I may have to fully reconsider my actions.

I am still looking out for that first .45, and it's between a glock or a 1911. Considering it most likely will not be a primary carry, either which way, I will have to internally debate which pride I am okay with getting hurt a little.

Feedback Score
    Picked up a Glock 30S about 6 months ago. I really like the 30S. It was a good move on Glocks part. The thinner slide makes it feel real close to the Glock 19. Also picked up a couple 13 round magazines and Xgrip spacers.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Nice choice.

But dude,
    I don't have a G19 either. 9mm isn't even on my want list.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast