Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aggressive BCG Staking - potential wear issues?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Aggressive BCG Staking - potential wear issues?

I recently ordered a BCG from a good company who've I've dealt with a few times before. Everything was quality, as expected (I've ordered a few BCG's from them previously); however, this particular BCG has what I would call "aggressive" staking, where the staking tool appears to have slipped or went past the top of the key, contacting the bottom, outer edges of the gas key at all 4 points and pushing material very slightly off to the side.

I'd post a picture of it, but the photo would give away whose BCG this was. The closest photo I've found online is one from G&R.

This is NOT a photo of my BCG, mine simply looks similar. My BCG is NOT from G&R.

Notice the tiny divot (shiny area) on the left key bolt/screw. Mine is slightly more pronounced, and it's below each staking point. My concern is that it will contact and wear into the inside track of the upper receiver unevenly, as the steel is harder than aluminum. I could sand it down/off, but the BCG has a surface treatment and it would most definitely remove it in that area, and potentially cause flaking/chipping around it.

I'm checking here first because I don't want to bring it to the manufacturer's attention unless it could be a true issue.
    Last edited by Skyyr; 05-29-16 at 11:11.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Its an issue.

The lower surface of the gas key is a bearing surface.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    is the brand LMT? And does it look like this? https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...-your-thoughts

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    non issue, for sure. My Colt BCGs are much more aggressively staked than that. Never had an issue and they all have marks from the staking process leading down the side of the gas key. Is that what you are talking about or am i missing something?
    EDIT: Perhaps i overstated things in my initial post. I just pulled a couple of my Colt BCGs and although a few of them have very slight markings on the side of the key, none of them have anything quite that pronounced and there are no burrs on the sides that would cause wear in the upper.
    Nonetheless, as long as that little burr isn't too aggressive, i think that staking is good to go??
    Last edited by joeyjoe; 05-29-16 at 12:31.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DreadPirateMoyer View Post
    is the brand LMT? And does it look like this? https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...-your-thoughts
    It's not LMT, though seeing the LMT staking makes me believe that mine is a non-issue. My main concern was the "edge" of the key being deformed out of true and causing uneven wear, being steel.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I think it is a problem, if theres a steel burr hanging out it will gouge the aluminum receiver. I would just file or sand it down. I wouldn't worry about the finish too much, your bcg will likely have oil on it at all times so rust isn't really a concern and as far as I know parkerizing doesn't flake off.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    File or stone it flat or send it back. The staking should not deform below the step at the top of the key, that's why there is a step.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    File or stone it flat or send it back. The staking should not deform below the step at the top of the key, that's why there is a step.
    ^This. Just take a flat diamond file to it and make a few swipes. It will be okay.

Feedback Score
    If the surface treatment is already broken as in the photo you provided, I don't see what harm filing/sanding will do.

However, if you can send it back, I would.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JC5188 View Post
    If the surface treatment is already broken as in the photo you provided, I don't see what harm filing/sanding will do.

However, if you can send it back, I would.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's a Nickel-based treatment, not a traditional parkerized finish. Sanding it would remove the finish in the area and, I would think, potentially allow for a place for the finish to flake/separate.

I found a photo that looks very similar to my BCG - mine is slightly more pronounced, but the staking is similar in that the bottom ledge is slightly deformed and a tiny bit more of material sticks out.

Last edited by Skyyr; 05-29-16 at 20:41.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast