Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Single Man Tent for Big Guys.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Thanks brother!
    When you're done saying what you're saying, stop saying it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CPM View Post
    On another topic, what sleeping bag do you use for a similar trip? I am 6'4" and 275 and am struggling to find the best lightweight option without dropping $300.
    The Snupak Jungle Bag arrived yesterday. It has great features but it is too tight for guys our size. I can zip it up all the way but it's so narrow around the chest that it keeps my elbows off the ground. In spite of that I am going to keep it. Since I purchased it for a hot weather bag to be used with a single man tent not being able to zip it all the way is not a huge deal. I won't be able to use the built in bug net over the face but I shouldn't need it inside the tent. I will probably end up using it as a blanket/ponch liner anyway.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Seen a lot of people switching to quilts with a real good insulating mat. Some of the quilts have straps that go under sleeping pad. No experience with this company just using their pic http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/prodigy/ their prices don't seem bad either and they have some XXL sizes

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CPM View Post
    On another topic, what sleeping bag do you use for a similar trip? I am 6'4" and 275 and am struggling to find the best lightweight option without dropping $300.
    The best bag I have found for big guys is Big Agnes bags. You must use their pad in the bottom of the bag as they do not put insulation in the bottom side of the bag, but that is also what makes them so roomy for their weight. I have an Encampment15 and it is an excellent bag. Their Long/Wide version is HUGE and weighs just under 4#. I'm not very tall, but I am BIG around and it is the first bag I have used that I can get inside of completely.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    After some additional research I think I will end up purchasing the Eureka Down Range Solo. It is very similar to the TCOP but a little lighter without the interior blackout layer. At a little over 5 lbs it's a bit heavy but otherwise has all the features I am looking for. It is free standing and has two vestibules to keep my gear out of the weather should I use it during the spring or fall. The price is right too.

http://store.eurekatent.com/down-ran...o-one-man-tent

Feedback Score
    I am 6'2" and have a Snugpack Ionoshepere.

In fact I just spent a couple nights in it this last weekend. It is not a huge tent by any stretch, but I think it is quite roomy for a 1 man tent, especially for a guy used to sleeping in USGI Bivy types.

It is lightweight, high quality, and long enough to stick some stuff up front like rolled up jacket and pants for a pillow, handgun, flashlight, and other small incidentals.
    THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightvisionary View Post
    The Snupak Jungle Bag arrived yesterday. It has great features but it is too tight for guys our size. I can zip it up all the way but it's so narrow around the chest that it keeps my elbows off the ground. In spite of that I am going to keep it. Since I purchased it for a hot weather bag to be used with a single man tent not being able to zip it all the way is not a huge deal. I won't be able to use the built in bug net over the face but I shouldn't need it inside the tent. I will probably end up using it as a blanket/ponch liner anyway.
    I have a Snugpack Junglebag and I don't fit in it well at all. It is definitely built for sub 6'2", 200# folks. If anyone wants a great deal on one, PM me.
    THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rjacobs View Post

I agree on the 2 man tent. Im not even a big guy(5'9" 180) and I have a Hilleburg Nammatj 2 and its BARELY a 2 man. Technically, yes, 2 people can sleep in it, but its really about a 1.5.
    Most are 1 less than rated unless the occupants are child size or sleep like corpses/stacked wood.

That being said, sometimes Wiggys stuff is cut on the bigger side so you might ask for some measurements on this:

http://www.wiggys.com/shelters/singl...-bivi-shelter/

They have long/wide sleeping bags that would likely work for you as well.

Cheaper route, USGI modular sleep system is fairly wide and there is a tall version also.

http://blackstarsurplus.com/Inventory/military-sleep-systems-mss/xl-4pc/
    Last edited by JasonB1; 06-27-16 at 15:09.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Checkout tarptent.com. Henry shires makes great us sewn ultralight tents. All are within your price range. I own the stratospire 1 and it's excellent. It's a true double walled tent as I need it for the climates I camp. There are other excellent models and are frequently found on AT, PCT etc. I also have a 20 degree enlightened equipment quilt. Love the flexibility..and us made

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightvisionary View Post
    I have that bag. I'm nowhere near your size, but I pretty much use it like a poncho liner... in conjunction with a poncho liner. It's definitely a warm weather bag, don't use it anywhere approaching ~35F. I mean it'll keep you from dying, probably, but even with the snugpak liner, it's not very warm at all. On the plus side, it's small and light.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast