Thread: Charging Handles

Feedback Score

Charging Handles

I checked the stickies and ran a search, but I did not find anything that answered my question. If I missed something, I apologize.

What manufacturer's make good, reliable, plain charging handles? Do AR manufacturers machine their own or contract them to machine shops? I have never had a problem with mine, but I have read and heard of many problems.
    "However horrible the incident of war may be, the soldier who is called upon to offer his life for his country, is the noblest development of mankind." - General of the Army Douglas MacArthur, Manila, 24 August 1936

Feedback Score
    CMT/Stag

Feedback Score
    The only charging handles I have had for the last 10 years or so have been Armalite and LMT and have had absolutely no issues.Which says alot since Im a big dumb ham fisted animal.
    I do have one I purchased recently that is a CMT and it looks to be of very fine quality as well.Stuck a PRI big latch on it.
    I seriously doubt many of the AR builders machine their own charging handles or other small parts and are purchased out of house.It would have to be a big company like CMT,LMT or similar that actually do machine and manufacturing work that supply most of the smaller builders.
    For instance and a bit off topic my new Armalite carry handle is marked with Cardinal forge.Unlike past years the radius is not the same on the inside of the carry handle and is no longer marked with the Armalite forge mark(AR with cross hairs).I asked about it and they said there was a change in vendors.Answered my question as to not made directly by Armalite.
    That being said the carry handle from Armalite is identicle to the LMT I have,both are excellent quality.
    So I'd say the majority of all the parts used by the different manufacturers are from vendors.
    Personally I think as long as you buy from a reputable company you should have no issues.
    I'd avoid any of the cheap overseas stuff sold by some of the big mail order places,bargin bins and or surplus places.
    Buy a name brand from a company like Bravo Co. or G&R Tactical and you should be good to go as they dont sell cheap junk.Folks like that select what they want to sell and personally inspect the quality.
    I have only seen one charging handle break personally and it was from an Oly Arms upper that belonged to my brother.Clearly a cheap porous cast part.
    HTH

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I usually just order stuff like that from BCM. You know he's not going to have some cast crap in is store.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Im not a fan of DPMS stuff, but plenty of "prominent" shooters I respect, really like the DPMS steel charging handles http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/sto...RGING%20HANDLE with a PRI Big Latch installed. I have broken a Bushmaster charging handle on one of my guns during training, so this is an area of concern for me.

I have been running a PRI "GasBuster" charging handle with the Big Latch for the past 4 years without any issues, so the PRI GasBuster would be my first pick, and the DPMS steel second.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nickdrak View Post
    I have broken a Bushmaster charging handle on one of my guns during training, so this is an area of concern for me.
    Forgive me if I've already asked.... but how did this happen?

I always hear about DI's kicking the charging handle with there boot to get a stuck bolt open.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by demigod View Post
    I usually just order stuff like that from BCM. You know he's not going to have some cast crap in is store.
    While I agree Paul puts out a great product when he produces it, the only LPK he has listed on his site is the DPMS LPK. Are the DPMS LPK's considered top end?
    Just one of the Shepherd's sheepdogs. Joshua 24:15

Feedback Score
    I will always use a PRI big latch on a forged CH. PK and CMMG have them for about $45.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by demigod View Post
    Forgive me if I've already asked.... but how did this happen?

I always hear about DI's kicking the charging handle with there boot to get a stuck bolt open.
    It was a combo of releasing a stuck bolt/cartridge by doing a 90 degree strike on a picnic table. And a short time later while shooting, I performed a admin. reload on a closed bolt, and when I racked the charging handle back I noticed something wasnt right. The rear of the handle right in-front of where the little roll-pin for the latch is inserted was had about a 1/4" crack, and the entire back of the handle was bent toward the right side of the gun.