Page 12 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Long stroke SureFire Carrier

Feedback Score
    Exactly why a good adjustable block is the only way to go when you start deviating from the norm. It doesn't matter what gas setting is correct for which setup - as long as you get it right! I've had good luck with SLR gas blocks. I have one on my 3-gun rifle and one on my large frame AR in 6.5 Creedmoor. Several friends run them as well and haven't had any issues with them freezing up, loosing setting, falling apart, etc. Range of adjustability is good as well.

That said, I believe the Surefire OBC is designed to work with standard gas port sizes. I guess we'll see, I look forward to getting one to test out.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayrevolver View Post
    Very interesting.

Even with an adjustable gas block I ended up using an A5H4. I only had a A5H2/3/4 and the fidelity of the gas block didn't lend to fine tuning of buffers. My thought process for more mass has to do with overall reliability even in semi with things like stripping rounds off mags, dirty gun, and tiny bit of slowing the bolt unlocking during suppressed fire.

I wonder if I had made an A5H0/1 I could have used 1 less gas click and settled on a lighter buffer. Maybe a project I can tackle down the road now that I have spare buffer parts.
    Whatever works, works!

The SLR I mentioned in my last post has 14 or 15 adjustment settings. Not as fine as it could be, but I trust the design and have a lot of rounds through it.

If you want reliability, lighter components aren't the way to go. As I mentioned, my setup with the light components is on a gamer 3-gun rifle, and all my other rifles have M16 BCG's with A5H2 buffers.

The whole reason I did the mild overstroke setup on the 3-gun rifle was to gain back some reliability that the lighter components robbed from the gun. BUT - I think the same theory applies to full mass guns as well, which is why I was really intrigued by Jim Sullivan's work when I found out about it, and why I look forward to getting my hands on the commercial version.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggy View Post
    geiselle's new bolt made out of carpenter 158 plus steel and their cobalt cam pin.
    Any more info on this?

Googled and got nothing.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    From Bill himself

Quote Originally Posted by Sagmill
    The bolt in the 3 guns we are raffling are 9310. Used because you have to buy 20,000lbs of 158 at a time.

It is LPB processed per some of the info coming out of ARDEC. Testing or our bolt has shown a 2x over mil spec bolt life. This still has to be confirmed by livefire.

That being said I have 10 tons of Carpenter 158+ coming in a month. This stuff will be stronger than 9310 or non plus 158

Airmet is interesting but:
    It's radically expensive
    HARD to machine.
    No favorable residual compressive stress

At 2x bolt life the bolt is replaced with the barrel. Problem solved.
    Im highly interested in this bolt material. A bolt that lasts the life span of the barrel is perfect balance of cost and durability. While I like aermet 100 in the LMT and KAC bolts whats the point of having a bolt that lasts 2-3x longer than the barrel? Unless that used bolt is meant to be combined with a new barrel which is a no no due to the way bolts and barrel extensions wear into each other. The cost to benefit ratio isnt there.

I looked at S7 tool steel for a while and found that isnt the solution either. Maybe this C158+ is the answer.
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 02-14-18 at 15:05.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    From Bill himself

Im highly interested in this bolt material. A bolt that lasts the life span of the barrel is perfect balance of cost and durability. While I like aermet 100 in the LMT and KAC bolts whats the point of having a bolt that lasts 2-3x longer than the barrel? Unless that used bolt is meant to be combined with a new barrel which is a no no due to the way bolts and barrel extensions wear into each other. The cost to benefit ratio isnt there.

I looked at S7 tool steel for a while and found that isnt the solution either. Maybe this C158+ is the answer.
    Thank you for sharing and I 100% agree. If that testing pans out, Bills gonna get a f*ck-load (technical term) of my money cuz I'm going to those bolts exclusively......IF he can bring them to market for $100 or less.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    At 2x bolt life the bolt is replaced with the barrel. Problem solved.
    This is exactly why I don't get the folks who want to have the Sullivan/Surefire OBC combined with other features from Knights, LMT, etc.

You only need enhance the bolt enough to last as long as the barrel, and you're good.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spart View Post
    This is exactly why I don't get the folks who want to have the Sullivan/Surefire OBC combined with other features from Knights, LMT, etc.

You only need enhance the bolt enough to last as long as the barrel, and you're good.
    If the prices are right, one cannot have too much of a good thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    From Bill himself

Thanks for the info. I am definitely interested.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I apologize in advanced for the necro-post. However, I was on the SF website today, and saw that the OBC is now in the tactical equipment drop down menu. Anyone noticed this? I clicked on it, but it says page cannot be displayed. I thought they were going to be out by March?

Feedback Score
    Any new news on these? I'm willing to replace my LMT carriers with these if they trickle out and work as advertised.
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Page 12 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast