Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 7.62 x 39 AR

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

7.62 x 39 AR

How many here have a 7.62 x39 AR? If so, what magazine do you run?
    Thanks

Feedback Score
    I use ASC 20 rounders and 30 rounders with mine, along with a couple 5 round C-Products mags. The ASC 20 rounders are my favorite. D&H has a 30 round mag that is supposed to be good but I have tried them yet. The ASC's are a little stiff when loading while new, but this improves with use.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    http://ross-zheng-engineering.myshopify.com

Saw this from a link at the NRA Show. An interesting mag for the 7.62x39

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Looks good. Pre order only at this time

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbat View Post
    I use ASC 20 rounders and 30 rounders with mine, along with a couple 5 round C-Products mags. The ASC 20 rounders are my favorite.
    Are the ASC's reliable? Is your rifle reliable? I want to do a build on using a Tactical Machining 7.62x39 marked lower, but don't want to screw up the build with unreliable parts.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    Are the ASC's reliable? Is your rifle reliable? I want to do a build on using a Tactical Machining 7.62x39 marked lower, but don't want to screw up the build with unreliable parts.
    My rifle is a complete 16 inch PSA 7.62x39 upper, currently sitting on a DPMS lower with a collapsable M4 type buttstock. I have also tested it with three other lowers that I have that have been verified by me to be reliable: a Smith & Wesson and also a PSA lower, both of which are set up similar to the DPMS with collapsable stocks, with no issues. I have tested it with carbine, H and H2 buffers without issue. I have also tested it with an Anderson lower with a A2 stock and it has been fine.

Really your mag choices are quite limited, at least as far as the ones that I am aware of: there is ASC, C-Products, D&H, and potentially the ones that krm375 posted about. C-Products and ASC appear to be basically the same thing. I have seen reports of a few people having to tweak the feedlips on some of the earlier ASC mags, but I have not found it necessary on my four 20 rounders or two 30 rounders.

Really the only reliability issue I have had so far is ammo related. I have experienced a failure to fire with Tula ammo about one out of every 100 rounds. Normally the casing looks like the primer is set in too deep to allow a good firing pin strike. You can feel and see the bad primers. This is not just a 7.62x39 issue with Tula either, I have seen the same problem with their .223 and 5.45x39 rounds as well. I have found Wolf, Monarch, Silverbear, Hornady and Winchester white box ammo good to go. Your mileage may vary.

Are Tactical Machining 7.62 marked lowers reliable? I have never heard of them.
    Last edited by Tbat; 06-10-16 at 23:46.

Feedback Score
    I can't say if the Tactical Machining 7.62x39 marked lowers are reliable because I have not built on one yet. I bought three different cartridge marked lowers from them and they all look good. The dimensions I checked were good. I have an anal retentiveness issue, so I don't like having lowers with the incorrect cartridge designation and don't care for the multi designation. I ordered upper receivers from them at the same time I purchased my lowers and the finishes all matched perfectly with the lowers. Their prices are very good too. Unfortunately, they don't stay in stock long, so you have to keep and eye on their website and order promptly.
    http://www.tacticalmachining.com/100...-receiver.html

So am I correct in understanding that the only things that I'd need to order differently when building my 7.62x39 AR15 are the bolt, barrel and magazines?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    CProductsDefense 30rd have been the best in my carbine. ASC 30rd are a bitch to load when new. Will look into the D&H asap.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by M90A1 View Post
    CProductsDefense 30rd have been the best in my carbine. ASC 30rd are a bitch to load when new. Will look into the D&H asap.
    Yeah, my 30 round ASC mags load ok up to 22 rounds after that they are really difficult, especially once you get to 25 rounds. That is why I said the 20 rounders were my favorite ones.

Feedback Score
    I've got two 7.62x39 ARs, one is an older Alpha Shooting Sports and a new Palmetto State Armory.
    I've got both the ASC & CPD in 30s & 20s. The springs in the ASCs seemed weak and would occasionally let rounds nosedive. I dropped in AK springs and dremeled out the front of the ASC mags along with the feed ramp til they were reliable. These are four or five year old ASC 30s, newer ones may be better. The ASC 20s are only two years old and had the same problem.

In comparison the CPDs worked correctly the first time with no mods to mag or rifle. Springs are stronger than the stock ASCs and almost as strong as the ASCs with the AK springs, and the finish is much slicker. The CPDs have not malfunctioned in either rifle yet.

Haven't tried a D&H yet, they have the same profile as the 'frankenmags' which seemed to work well. And the D&H mags are supposed to be made of heavy steel. But reviews are hit & miss, some complain of the D&H mags not fitting well with certain lowers, as well as issues with the mag sitting too high and hitting the BCG.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast