Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 7.62 x 39 AR

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    So am I correct in understanding that the only things that I'd need to order differently when building my 7.62x39 AR15 are the bolt, barrel and magazines?
    Yes, that should get you where you are going. You may need make sure that your intended muzzle device will work with .30 caliber projectiles and be the proper size and thread pitch for your 7.62 barrel, as well.
    Last edited by Tbat; 06-15-16 at 18:18.

Feedback Score
    Excellent. I knew that about the thread pitch but had forgotten. Thanks for reminding me.

Feedback Score
    FWIW my first 7.62x39 had a 1/2x36 pitch, same as the one on my RRA 9mm AR. Which is fine for just a flash hider but try to get a 5/8x24 pitch, lets you use standard .308 devices, much better selection. I had to run an adaptor on my first, only source I could find was Primary Weapons Systems. If you buy one of their comps they'll sell you the adaptor cheap, but just buying the adaptor by itself is pricey.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely stick with the 5/8x24 pitch. Below is a link to a good chart which pretty much spells out the various thread pitch options.
    http://www.cncwarrior.com/Muzzle-Devices-s/1822.htm

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by krm375 View Post
    http://ross-zheng-engineering.myshopify.com

Saw this from a link at the NRA Show. An interesting mag for the 7.62x39
    Tag. These look promising.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    My one ASC mag I bought would jam every round till I spent about 30 minutes slowly dremmeling the front down.
    I bought 2 D&Hs and they work alright. They feel solid. I will try buying a couple of CPDs. I have have some original C-Products for the 5.56. Hope they are better than those, cause they are collecting rust now.

I have been patiently waiting for mags to be developed by some of the companies, that have produced multi-caliber carbines.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by krm375 View Post
    http://ross-zheng-engineering.myshopify.com

Saw this from a link at the NRA Show. An interesting mag for the 7.62x39

These Unimags are available for purchase on the Primary Arms web store: http://www.primaryarms.com/rze-mag-001b/p/rze-mag-001b/.

Here is a quick report from a 7.62x39 user on TOS (note he also shot 6.5 Grendel with equally boring reliability...):

"Ran 200 rounds (8 mags worth at the advertised capacity of 25 rounds for 7.62x39) thru my two Unimags this morning with my YHM 7.62x39 AR.

100% feeding and they locked the bolt open on the last round every time. Perfect function, I am very pleased.

As with every other lower I have tried these mags in (7 lowers total), the Unimags did not drop free in my YHM lower. They did fit somewhat looser in the YHM than the other lowers I have tried them in however.

If there is one round I wanted these Unimags to work with, 7.62x39 is the one. I hate, hate, hate the curvature of conventional 7.62x39 AR mags.

I have knee surgery tomorrow morning, but the plan is to be back at the range on Monday (assuming I'm physically able) to run more 7.62x39 thru these mags. I do not anticipate any issues or drama with these mags.

Finally, a new and truly innovative AR product that lives up to the hype. Gonna buy more of these mags to feed my two Grendels and two 7.62x39 ARs. I'll probably put my dedicated 6.5 Grendel and 7.62x39 mags in a box and forget about them."
    Scout Rider for the Mongol Hordes

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the info on the unimag. I ordered on to give it a try.

Feedback Score
    I've seen posts from three different shooters who've tried the Unimags with 7.62x39, no complaints.
    But $40 a pop. But if you run multiple calibers like I do, may be cheaper in the long run if you can reliably run three or four different calibers from the same mag.
    I'm already stocked up on mags but I'm tempted to try one.

Feedback Score
    Sorry for the long delay, but I have an update on using Unimags in my 7.62x39 Windham AR15. The first one I purchased ran like a champ, not issues at all. So, I bought four more. Unfortunately, none of them would fit in the magazine well of my rifle. In fact, they wouldn't fit in the magazine well of any receiver. This was odd because the date code on it matched the first individual one that I purchased. I returned them to Primary Arms who paid shipping and gave a prompt refund. I was looking on the Primary Arms website today and found that there is now a generation two version. The difference is that they claim to have solved the magazine well fitting issue. So, I ordered four more. I'll give them a try and post the results.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast