Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: SPyderco delica

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Good knife. Great steel that holds an excellent edge. Super lightweight and durable. I think Spyderco in general are a little thick in the pocket due to the spyder hole but should be a knife you will have for a very long time and is a great knife for backpacking or for a bug out bag due to its weight.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Leaveammoforme View Post
    I owned 5 different Delicas in a span of about 2 years around 10 years ago. Great knives as long as you use them for cutting. I'm horrible about prying with blades so I ended up breaking 4 of them. Lost the other. I even broke my current blade (CRKT M16) that is a pretty thick blade.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arch View Post
    They also lack lateral strength. DO NOT PRY with a FRN Spyderco.

You guys need to stop using a knife as a pry bar. You'd think you'd learn after the first two or three you broke.

-----------

Delica w/Wave is a great EDC knife. There's nothing entry level about it (except price). People think its entry level because it doesn't have G10 or micarta and it doesn't have a fashionable frame lock, but those are a non-issues.

VG-10 takes a great edge, and is easy to touch up. Some of the newer steels may be slower to dull but will be harder to touch up.

I'd buy a Delica in ZDP 189 or Superblue - two very different steels - just for the heck of it if Spyderco would release them with in a Waved version. Doesn't look like Spyderco has any plans to do that.
    Last edited by comprido; 11-13-16 at 12:56.

Feedback Score
    Delicas are pretty awesome. It is just a great knife.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I have owned knives of every variety, from Chris Reeve to custom Benchmades. The one knife that finds its way into my pocket more than any other is my Delica.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arch View Post
    They also lack lateral strength. DO NOT PRY with a FRN Spyderco.
    ^I'm in this camp.^

I've been carrying an Endura for years. On occasion, I'll carry the Delica instead if I need a slightly smaller package. As a guy who's really been into knives for almost 20 years, I've tried a lot of different knives, and I keep coming back to those two, so long as my focus is strictly CUTTING. They are other options if you are looking for sharpened pry bars, multi-tool use, etc.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    EDC for a guy that isn't John Rambo? A Delica is a fantastic choice. Good VG10 blade and grippy scales with a solid lockback. You'd be hard pressed to find a better choice for the money.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Plenty of similar responses so I will add mine, Delica and many Spyderco's are great for EDC. One reason why is because they aren't a $500 custom one off designer piece. Lose a Delica? Easy, cheap, and fast to replace it.

FYI if you need a prybar, buy a prybar. Don't use a knife.

Feedback Score
    Personally, I'm not a fan of vg10 or 154cm. They simply do not hold up in medium use for extended periods (breaking down boxes). I just opened my 3rd hotel in 5 years, so breaking down boxes with knives is something I know about. I went through my entire EDC collection opening this property - steels represented are s30, s35, s110, elmax, m390, 154cm. The zt elmax was the big winner. I loaned my 0566 to a broad collection of team members and it was still sharp with no nicks or rolls at the end. The s35 chipped, s30 rolled, s110 was ok but was the least used, m390 did amazing but was a much more expensive knife (custom Doug Ritter griptilian), 154cm chipped and rolled on the 1st day and was useless.
    I recommend paying $60-$144 for an edc, as the steel makes the biggest difference (all edges were 30-38 degree edges with no micro bevels).

Feedback Score
    I've carried the same one for nearly 20 years. No tape on a box from Amazon has defeated it yet. It blasts through the plastic wrap on cheese at wineries to the amazement of all. No call to dismember ogres to date.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123