Thread: Used or new barrel?

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

Used or new barrel?

The obvious answer is "buy new!" The dilemma comes down to price point. Wife and I just had baby number three so I have to cut costs where I can. Kids aren't cheap and since Obamacare is in full effect, this birth really took a bite out of my wallet!

I'm currently in the middle of completing a DMR type rifle and I'm need of a barrel for the upper. I'm looking at picking up a takeoff from a BCM MK12 upper (18" SS410, 1/8 twist, rifle length gas), complete with pinned gas block and gas tube with approximately 500 rounds down the pipe. Guy claims nothing strenuous, no mag dumps. Rifling and chamber look good. Oh and it currently wears a Specwar Trifecta brake, which I'd probably just sell off. He wants $300 for it. He's also willing to throw in a Larue 13.2" rail with it for $500 total. So, my question is, is the barrel worth $300? Keep in mind the gas block, gas tube and brake are part of the package. I was thinking if I could whittle him down to $450 for the barrel and rail combo then it's worthwhile. Any thoughts, dissenting or otherwise? Any better options out there to consider?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    a deal is a deal, this one seems pretty good with everything being included. But I wouldn't believe anything about a used barrel, especially when looking for accuracy. If you are realistic with your expectations it could hold you over and get you shooting, but it might not be a tackdriver.
    SF

Feedback Score
    77 (100%)
    Nice b/c of the pinned block you cant really get unless it's the mk12 takeoff barrel, but not really a steal. You could get a new WOA barrel for the same money, if not a little less. Or even cheaper a ballistic advantage that has sub moa guarantee.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by USMC_Anglico View Post
    If you are realistic with your expectations it could hold you over and get you shooting, but it might not be a tackdriver.
    Agreed on this point, and as I mentioned in my first post, this would be built more as a dmr/semi-precision gun. I'll only be able to practically push it out maybe 400 yards or so. Longer distance ranges are in the works but have not yet come to fruition. My overall criteria centers around a rifle that is robust and able to effectively and consistently put CoM hits on a standard e-type at 600. The limiting factor for me will most likely be glass (to start. Doesn't quite fit in the budget just yet), and ammo. I live in NY so coming upon quality match grade stuff in quantity is a bit more difficult than it should be!

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I was also looking at selling the brake it currently wears. Even if I got $50, then overall the package is a $400 endeavor with barrel and rail.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    What kind of muzzle device do you plan on putting back onto it? An A2 is cheap, straight forward, and costs little. But if you plan on putting on an alternative, that is gunna put that same 50 you would have gotten back, into another MD.

If you're fine with an A2, than I have to parrot Jstal. You can get new, with that SUB-MOA guarantee, and there are many manufacturers who will include the GB, GT, etc, for a good deal.

If you're looking for it with that particular rail, and it's a buddy or something, than that's different. As you may have some personal interest invested. But if we're looking at the price figure you've presented, you can buy assembled uppers for not much more than the full 450 you've advised (granted for the build you want, you'll be stuck waiting for deals or watching the EE here.) Assuming you already have an upper, BCG, CH, etc, I would look into new with that guarantee before a used, even 10 rounds. You can never be certain what really happened each time that pipe had a slug in it.

Nonetheless, welcome to M4C.
    Last edited by HeruMew; 06-03-16 at 14:17.

Feedback Score
    http://www.jsesurplus.com/wilsonarms...eelfluted.aspx

I been wanting to try one of these at the price point they may be very good

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Okay, thanks for the responses, guys. I guess I just needed to hear it from someone else to confirm what I had already told myself.