Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MR BLASTY: Picked up a nice 3 inch 686 plus. Working on some improvements!

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I took off the C&S rear for now and tuned in the adjustable rear.

Ran another 207 rounds through her (for a total of 264) this weekend). DO NOT BUY TULA 357. It is $17 around here for 125 grain but it is crap. Each round will get stick in the chamber. I suspect the bullets will pull under recoil but I only bothered to shoot 7 rounds before I closed up the box.

I will say shooting this gun has been interesting. I am used to all manner of autoloaders and my J-frames but this medium frame has pretty serious trigger reach under double action. I find myself pulling right if I get sloppy. Basically, I am creeping up on the left side of the grip frame to get good leverage on the trigger. Not a problem when shooting for groups or single action but I catch myself doing it at speed on plates.

There is no doubt I am faster with my P30 and certainly a 1911. But I am not bad with this one and it comes into its own when you thumb cock it for 100 yard shots.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    Update? Looking at a lightly used 686 plus PC right now. Need a nudge to drop the coin.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Runs great. Installed a stainless "the plug." I have it set up with laser grips and shoot it every few weeks or so. Amazing blaster.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    Greg, where did you get the plug this time? The guy on the S&W boards that used to make them quit for health reasons, last I heard.

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDog View Post
    Greg, where did you get the plug this time? The guy on the S&W boards that used to make them quit for health reasons, last I heard.

Thanks!
    I'm not Greg, but you might reach out to these folks now:

Jennings Machine and Tool
    email: edjs47@charter.net
    phone: 205-533-2033

They have a website, but it's not listed on it.

Past the second cattle guard, at the end of the gravel road
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Nice pistol, like the CT grips.

686 3" is my next pistol. I want one to keep in the glove box on my UTV-Mule 4 wheeler.

3 rounds of snake-shot and 3 rounds HP for wild hogs.

I've been watching GunBroker for a nice used one.
    "Jill, if there's ever a problem, just walk out on the balcony ... take that double-barrel shotgun and fire two blasts outside the house,.." VP Joe Biden Feb 19, 2013

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I'm not Greg, but you might reach out to these folks now:

Jennings Machine and Tool
    email: edjs47@charter.net
    phone: 205-533-2033

They have a website, but it's not listed on it.
    Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    4" 686-5, and it's my favorite pistol. Mine is the last model with no lock and no MIM parts.
    The 686-5 does have MIM parts, FMFP, pinned front sight, etc. No lock.

The 686-4 7 shot was made for maybe a year, I think. The -4s were the last revision to have forged hammer/trigger/rebound/etc.

The -4s were also the first revision made on the new CNC machines (Tomkins era).

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Interesting, you learn something new every day. Someone told me it did not have MIM parts. I guess I was misinformed.

I'm working on an AAR of a 2-day revolver class I did last week, and loved how the 686 ran.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Good looking handgun.

You can file down the front sight to raise the point of impact
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast