Thread: Small GI Style Barrel Nut Wrench = Junk???

Feedback Score

Small GI Style Barrel Nut Wrench = Junk???

Hey guys,

I'm upgrading my A2 Bushmaster carbine with a CMT A3 upper and a YHM clamp-on gas block with the HK style flip up sight.

Problem is I blew the majority of my budget on parts and forgot about the tools to do the work. Sadly I'm down to $32 and cant find the good larger style barrel wrench shipped to me for that price.

Is the smaller and cheaper one junk? I'll probably only use it once, but I think my bushys barrel is really tight since the FSB is slightly canted, and the company is notorious for overtightening their barrels.

Any advice or suggestions for a noob, or should I have a gunsmith do it for me?

Thanks and sorry for all the questions.

-David

Feedback Score
    The GI barrel wrench works great. I use a 1/2 inch drive breaker bar for disassembly and a 3/8 inch drive torque wrench with a 3/8 to 1/2 adapter for assembly. Midway sells them for about $17 part # 762854.

You can do it without the torque wrench but I don't recommend it.
    Billy

US Army Retired, NRA Life member, M/C mechanic, Gunsmith

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I generally use the USGI type wrench for torquing stock type barrel nuts.
    For removing stock type barrel nuts I prefer a DPMS armorers wrench. Sometimes the stock type are so tight that the USGI wrench will bend the teeth on the barrel nut and slip off.
    The DPMS wrench fits the barrel nut much better. Sometimes the barrels nuts are still so tight that I can't get them off with the DPMS wrench. In those instances I cut off the delta ring with a set of bolt cutters and use a plumbers pipe/monkey wrench on the barrel nut, this method has never failed.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the info guys, I'll give it a shot.