Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun & Caliber for 1st Bolt Gun?

Feedback Score

Gun & Caliber for 1st Bolt Gun?

I am in the process of picking up a few guns (Sig MCX, CZ Scorpion, Sig SP2022, Sig P320) and suppressors (SilencerCo Hybrid and Osprey 45K) and wanted to add a bolt action rifle to the list. I have 400 acres and would be interested in getting a rifle that would be good for hunting as well as a little bit of long range shooting. I'm not looking for anything extremely high end or super precision. After reading different posts and things online, I'm confused as to which caliber and/or gun would be best for what I want. Below is the list of what I was thinking. Any recommendations would be great, but also explain why. And... would any of the calibers below still work well suppressed with the Hybrid?

Mossberg MVP Patrol .308
    Remington 700 SPS .308
    Ruger American
    Howa Hogue Gameking 6.5 CM

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Ruger American Predator in .308. Great with just an aimpoint for woods hunting, throw a Bushnell 10x40 or swfa super sniper on it when you want to stretch it out for some long range fun.

Feedback Score
    Any reason for the .308 over the 6.5CM or another caliber?

Feedback Score
    308 win has cheap ish factory ammo.
    308 win has an Ease of finding factory match ammo.

If you reload, either one.

Slight edge to hunting/ match bullets for reliading 308 just due to availability

Better bc for 6.5. For similar bullets.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
    Last edited by daniel87; 06-12-16 at 15:24.

Past the second cattle guard, at the end of the gravel road
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    I would go with .308 unless shooting over 500 yards.

1. .308 is easy to find ammo. Can buy very cheap plinking ammo at SGAMMO.com. Easy to suppress and also hand load subsonic cartridges. Good for 500 yards on deer, hogs.
    Remington has a load called " hog hammer" with 168 grain Barnes triple shock TSX bullet that is very effective.
    Your SilencerCo hybrid is rated for this cartridge.

2. 6.5 Creedmore. Very accurate to 800+ yards on deer. Stores with a lot of guns will have ammo but will be a challenge buying at stores like WalMart-- but plentiful online. Not a good choice for loading subsonic.

3. 300 Blackout. Good to 350 yards on hogs and deer. Excellent caliber to load subsonic. Your SilencerCo hybrid is rated for this cartridge.

All are easy to find in new and used rifles. Off the shelf Remington Savage, Ruger bolt action rifles are pretty good.
    - Get one with a threaded barrel.

Have fun,
    RFA
    Last edited by Ready.Fire.Aim; 06-12-16 at 19:04.
    "Jill, if there's ever a problem, just walk out on the balcony ... take that double-barrel shotgun and fire two blasts outside the house,.." VP Joe Biden Feb 19, 2013

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    There is no reason to buy a 308 given the fact that a 6.5 creedmoor will out shoot one any day of the week. Either you can live with the dinosaurs or join the modern era. Creed ammo is everywhere and its easy to load for.

Go shoot 100 rounds out of a 308, then shoot 100 rounds out of a bone stock creed....you will sell the 308 first chance you get.

As a first time buyer, I understand your desire to buy a good gun. Either your going to go with the old school caliber, or buy a creed that can shoot a 4 inch group all day long at 700 yard in winds. For the record, I shoot a 6x47, 6.5x47, and a 6.5 creedmoor. As a first time buyer, I recommend you get the creed, then if you want a bit more performance get a 6.5x47. Both are excellent guns, but the creed has box ammo and the 47's are reload only, but on lapua brass. I shoot steel 300-1350 yards with all guns about 5 days a week.

To give you a better idea of how much better they are. In the match we just had last month, the 308's finished last place out of 60 shooters. If your wanting to learn long range its the best option. You already said you have 400 acres. I would be throwing steel up all over the place.

950 yard groups 3'x8' piece of steel.

2 700 yards groups rifle break-in

Feedback Score
    That seems really impressive. My cousin has another 500-600 acres adjacent to mine, so I'm guessing I'd have plenty of room to shoot? Also, is there any point in shooting 6.5 creedmoor suppressed? I'd love not to bother any farmers/neighbors near by.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson1911 View Post
    There is no reason to buy a 308 given the fact that a 6.5 creedmoor will out shoot one any day of the week. Either you can live with the dinosaurs or join the modern era. Creed ammo is everywhere and its easy to load for.

Go shoot 100 rounds out of a 308, then shoot 100 rounds out of a bone stock creed....you will sell the 308 first chance you get.

As a first time buyer, I understand your desire to buy a good gun. Either your going to go with the old school caliber, or buy a creed that can shoot a 4 inch group all day long at 700 yard in winds. For the record, I shoot a 6x47, 6.5x47, and a 6.5 creedmoor. As a first time buyer, I recommend you get the creed, then if you want a bit more performance get a 6.5x47. Both are excellent guns, but the creed has box ammo and the 47's are reload only, but on lapua brass. I shoot steel 300-1350 yards with all guns about 5 days a week.

To give you a better idea of how much better they are. In the match we just had last month, the 308's finished last place out of 60 shooters. If your wanting to learn long range its the best option. You already said you have 400 acres. I would be throwing steel up all over the place.

950 yard groups 3'x8' piece of steel.

2 700 yards groups rifle break-in

Feedback Score
    You know if the Hybrid is rated for 6.5?

As for 300 blackout, I'm about to by a Sig MCX in 5.56 and place a pre-order for the 9in 300 blackout barrel. Seems like it will be a fun gun to shoot and it will be nice to be able to switch back and forth between calibers.

I used Class 3 Machining for my Scorpion re-thread. When I get it back some time this week and if everything turns out well, I wouldn't mind sending another barrel to him to have it threaded. That's if I choose a gun without a threaded barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Ready.Fire.Aim View Post
    I would go with .308 unless shooting over 500 yards.

1. .308 is easy to find ammo. Can buy very cheap plinking ammo at SGAMMO.com. Easy to suppress and also hand load subsonic cartridges. Good for 500 yards on deer, hogs.
    Remington has a load called " hog hammer" with 168 grain Barnes triple shock TSX bullet that is very effective.
    Your SilencerCo hybrid is rated for this cartridge.

2. 6.5 Creedmore. Very accurate to 800+ yards on deer. Stores with a lot of guns will have ammo but will be a challenge buying at stores like WalMart-- but plentiful online. Not a good choice for loading subsonic.

3. 300 Blackout. Good to 350 yards on hogs and deer. Excellent caliber to load subsonic. Your SilencerCo hybrid is rated for this cartridge.

All are easy to find in new and used rifles. Off the shelf Remington Savage, Ruger bolt action rifles are pretty good.
    - Get one with a threaded barrel.

Have fun,
    RFA

Feedback Score
    If you're not gonna push past 500, I'm still partial to the 30-06.

Not shiny, just good lines.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I'm stuck trying to choose between .260, 6.5 Creed and 7mm-08

Still can't decide which one to go with.
    "Buy once, cry once. Or not. Many of you will undoubtedly be zombies one day. I'd prefer if you were zombies with sub-par gear."

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast