Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun & Caliber for 1st Bolt Gun?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I don't understand this. We shoot 175 SMKs in .308 over 1000 yards all the time.

With a can or brake my son and (now ex) wife shot my .308. Kids and wives generally don't stay on any bolt gun long enough to get worn out by recoil.

We had a buddy build a 6.5 variant of some sort. It just never "took". We just target shoot with .308... so everything revolves around the flight of the 175 smk. So throwing in an oddball caliber just makes things confusing for us. With the OP not having any standard bolt gun set... a different (non .308) caliber wouldn't be an issue.
    As usual, I agree with Markm. I am intrigued by the 6.5, but will likely stick with my 308 (which I also use 175's at 1000) primarily because of barrel life, component availability, and the satisfaction of routinely outshooting those behind a 6mm, 6.5mm, and/or 7mm. In long distance shooting (which 500m is NOT "long distance"), nothing beats repetition on the firing line ... for that, I will stick with the 308. If I were made of $$, I would get other calibers, but would still probably train with a 308 the most.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    This may sound mildly retarded... but I feel like... moving out of the .308 realm into the 6.5 calibers would take away some of the challenge. Almost making it too easy for the target shooter.

Recoil has never bothered me too much with the .308 heavy tactical guns with suppressors. I only shoot 25 rounds on a busy bolt gun day. (I'm not trying to sell the OP on .308. Just thinking out loud here )
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by waveslayer View Post
    It uses the 6.5 SAUM which will blow away the .308 and Creedmoor.
    Almost went this route, but the short action ultra magnums have a significantly shorter barrel life compared to the creedmore and especially the 308.

My opinion goes with the 6.5 creedmore for recoil, barrel life and performance and $$$ spent over the life of the weapon. Made the mistake of buying a .338 magnum once, put one box of cartridges through it and sold it. If you cant enjoy shooting the gun what is the point?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tigershilone View Post
    Almost went this route, but the short action ultra magnums have a significantly shorter barrel life compared to the creedmore and especially the 308.

My opinion goes with the 6.5 creedmore for recoil, barrel life and performance and $$$ spent over the life of the weapon. Made the mistake of buying a .338 magnum once, put one box of cartridges through it and sold it. If you cant enjoy shooting the gun what is the point?
    Very true on big bore and magnums. The SAUM was designed by Greg from GA to increase the barrel life by reducing the pressure of the Short Action Magnums. We are getting over 3000 rounds before any barrel or throat erosion is throwing the accuracy off.

No doubt the Creedmoor will last longer, but as a all in one gun that will drop any animal in North America, besides a Grizzly, the 6.5 SAUM takes the cake.

My .338 Norma Magnum AI has about 1500 rounds through it, still shoots a nice single hole at 100. It's crazy

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns
    Using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Using a light weight hunting rifle, you will enjoy the 6.5CM/.260 or even the 7-08 over a same weight .308. Using a heavy target gun, run the numbers, those calibers above are more efficient, simple hard facts. No confusion, numbers on a chart, app, in your mind. Said this before as well, need to deliver a payload at longer distance, sure need to step up the the big guns, that doesn't mean .308.
    has the .308 done the job, sure has, will continue as well. The popularity of the 6.5's is obvious and for good reason and it will expand.

OP, for what you want, pick up a Tikka CTRX in 6.5CM. For a hunter, I'm waiting for them to make the T3X in it. I've also emailed a request to Ruger for a Scout, 18" SS with synthetic stock in it, we'll see.

a good funny
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqgSSAh8Cqs
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson1911 View Post
    Rated21R,

I have tried to convince the op buying a 6.5 would be the best choice. They shoot flat and hold the wind well with mild recoil. I do understand your thoughts on buying in the first time. I had many of these same ones myself. At some point your going to have to take the plunge and buy in. The gun that is right for you may be different than what others shoot, but hey, its your dime bud. I wish you lived closer to me so I could take you to a private range and let you ring steel out to 1251 if you can shoot well enough. Where I live the wind blows every day which makes some shooting days good, and others not so good.

Some of the things I have noticed on shooting with others.

Reading the wind is an art, some guys are very good at it no matter what gun they shoot.
    The 308/7-08 (30 cal) guns are completely outclassed by the 6.5's, there are not may 30 cal guns where I live.
    Having a gun with mild recoil is a joy to shoot all day at the range.
    Being able to tune the rifle and reload well makes a huge difference in accuracy when shooting long.
    Shooting box ammo is a plus for someone just getting into long range or as a first rifle.

And last, but not least.....why did I wait so long to hop on the 6.5 wagon ????? I spent 1.5 years trying to decide what I wanted. Soooo many times I was set on getting a 308. As I look back now, it would be my last choice for a long range gun. The exception to this is a gas gun for hogs or something.

If you guys can find someone to let you shoot a caliber you are thinking of buying, it would help your decision process.
    You've just about convinced me on the 6.5C, but now I need to decide on a gun. For some reason I keep going back to the Howa. It seems like a good gun for the price. I'm also guessing the scope that comes in the package is pretty undesirable, but will probably work for me since I'm just getting started. Also, can you speak to the use of a suppressor on 6.5C?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Shooting with a can rocks !! I have the Dead Air Ti 30 cal can.

I can't speak on which gun to buy. All mine are customs.

You should always buy the best glass you can afford. Tracking is very important when going long.

I would also try to get a gun that has a 24 inch barrel, 26 is preferred.

Feedback Score
    Hopefully I'll have my SilencerCo Hybrid by Christmas, so I'm looking forward to seeing how it does with the 6.5C.

The Howa comes in a 22in and 24in and I'll need to get the barrel threaded. I'll be using an ASR mount with the Hybrid, so I'm guessing the ASR muzzle brake is preferred over the ASR flash hider for 6.5C?

Feedback Score
    I will tell you that the TBAC ultra is hard to beat because how light it is. My old 30p1 is so nice and quite on my right. I never had a POI because of the weight added with the can. Just thread and shoot. It's so quite

Last edited by waveslayer; 07-23-16 at 15:48.
    Using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hbrogers View Post
    Hopefully I'll have my SilencerCo Hybrid by Christmas, so I'm looking forward to seeing how it does with the 6.5C.

The Howa comes in a 22in and 24in and I'll need to get the barrel threaded. I'll be using an ASR mount with the Hybrid, so I'm guessing the ASR muzzle brake is preferred over the ASR flash hider for 6.5C?
    I would go break if you want reduced recoil with the can off. Nice can you picked, I ordered a few of those to mess around with.

Using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast