Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun & Caliber for 1st Bolt Gun?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I realize this is a tad off your OP, but my thoughts regarding .308: If you're getting a bolt gun, might as well go in the 6.5 range or move up to the magnum calibers. There are so many good .308 semi-autos on the market now, that I don't see the point in bothering to get a bolt gun in the same. The marginal increase in long range performance isn't enough to justify it, MHO.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tigershilone View Post
    Almost went this route, but the short action ultra magnums have a significantly shorter barrel life compared to the creedmore and especially the 308.

My opinion goes with the 6.5 creedmore for recoil, barrel life and performance and $$$ spent over the life of the weapon. Made the mistake of buying a .338 magnum once, put one box of cartridges through it and sold it. If you cant enjoy shooting the gun what is the point?
    What kind of barrel life are we looking it with the 6.5 creedmoor vs the .308?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkland View Post
    It's about the same, it all depends on barrel quality, loads and how you clean it.

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns
    Using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The 6.5 creedmoor is between 2500-3200 max round count. It depends on barrel maker and how hot your loads are. I would think a factory guns barrel would be shorter than over a bartlien or kreiger or brux.

Feedback Score
    It all depends really on pressure and heat

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns
    Using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Experience with .243 was 1100 +/- 100 rounds before it went south, would no longer group under 5" at 100yds.
    Two .308 bolts, one with 2000+ round count and one at 5000+ still shooting consistently over the past 25+ years, they just have not worn out yet. Early 90's remy PSS's. They eat everything from FGMM, reloads, to surplus ball without hiccup. To be fair, I've never shot any steel case or corrosive through either rifle.

No hands on with 6.5 creedmoor yet. Everything I've been able to find so far is pointing to mid 2000's for barrel expectancy. The creedmoor is looking to be the best for me as I don't want to reload (if you reload the .260 is almost identical to the creed's perfromance/recoil) and the ballistics are very impressive.

I'm on the fence weather or not to jump in now with a Ruger RPR or wait for the dream offering from Tikka with a T3x with a 22" or longer barrel in 6.5 creedmoor.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Picked up a Tikka T3x CTR 6.5 Creedmoor from a member selling his "impulse buy" couldn't turn it down. Can't wait for it to get here so I can start breaking it in.
    "Buy once, cry once. Or not. Many of you will undoubtedly be zombies one day. I'd prefer if you were zombies with sub-par gear."

Feedback Score
    I would look at where you live and would be hunted. 6.5CM might be totally adequate. then again if you live in a place with bears or elk or moose i would say look for something a bit bigger. If you are looking at the 308 i would strongly suggest looking at the 30-06. It isn't sexy but it flat out works for the lower 48. It also sounds like you have the tactical stuff covered so a rifle with a reasonable scope in a hunting cartridge could fill a gap in your safe. Looking at history most military sniping weapons for a long time were simply hunting technology. So the ability to take a hunting rifle, especially a modern one to 400-500 yards is solidly doable.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tigershilone View Post
    I'm on the fence weather or not to jump in now with a Ruger RPR or wait for the dream offering from Tikka with a T3x with a 22" or longer barrel in 6.5 creedmoor.
    Why such long barrels? Especially if it's a dual purpose or hunting rig? I'm about to have a gunsmith build me a nice 6.5CM and I was wobbling between 16.5" and 18". This is after reading an article showing a not too drastic velocity loss, and I figure I won't be shooting beyond 500m. Am I on the right track? I like short barrels because 1) I almost always run a can, and will put my Sandman Ti on this one and 2) it makes it lighter and easier to handle overall.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I am running a 22" barrel on my guns now. I have the sandman ti as you do. I would not go any shorter tho. I spend more time shooting steel than hunting. You should still be able to get 2650 or so out of a shorter barrel, although I would still not go below 20. Most guys with 6.5 class guns shoot steel/targets/hunt with them in that order. My creed running lapua brass would get 2880 with 140's on a 26" barrel. Creeds like longer barrels.

Look at it this way..... if you start with a 22 you can always chop it off.....starting with a 16 or 18 and you will have to rebarrel if you do not like it.

My gun now feels like normal with the can on.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast