Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Gun & Caliber for 1st Bolt Gun?

Feedback Score
    So it looks like I'm going with a Howa and regardless of caliber, I'm wanting to add an Atlas bipod, but there is only one swivel stud instead of a pic rail which is needed for the Atlas. Any suggestions on a workaround for this or a gunsmith that could install one?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I would find someone with a 6.5 and ask them if you can shoot it. There is nothing a 308 can do better than a 6.5, no matter if you choose the 260, 6.5 creedmoor, or the 6.5x47L. Barrel life is the only thing it has on it.

You can be the fat chick at the prom....or the slender built hottie.

Feedback Score
    I shoot 308 and for what I am doing...6.5 has nothing to offer me expect having to spend more money I don't need to.

Hbrogers....

IF you are really curious about the 6.5 buy it...try it out. have fun. But if you are simply thinking you should consider it because it's the new "wiz bang" round everyone is talking about...Frankly for what you have indicated you will be doing...you lose NOTHING going with the 308.

+ for 308
    ammo cheaper, more available
    Barrel life last longs
    resale value on a howa will be better with a 308 vs 6.5. people serious about 6.5 and competitions aren't buying howa. Odds of selling to someone just wanting to hunt are better.
    if you reload or get into reloading, a very wide selection of bullets
    lots of reloading data out there
    hasn't stopped performing just fine at distances now that the 6.5 is the "talk of the town".

- for 308
    has more drop at distances over 600 than the 6.5

Feedback Score
    Well, sometimes it takes me a while to make a decision on a new gun and I still haven't made my decision on what to get for my first bolt gun. I have decided on going with the 6.5 CM so that is some progress I guess. In regard to brand, I'm more open now as I've decided that I don't want to fool with having a barrel threaded (that rules out the Howa I was looking at). I'm considering the following:

Remington 700 Magpul Enhanced
    Tikka T3X CTR
    Savage 10 FCP-SR
    Bergara B-14 HMR

What do the wise forums members think? Again, I'm looking for a lightish hunting and something to help me get into long-range shooting. For some reason I'm drawn to the Rem700 Magpul Enhanced, but I keep reading and hearing strong opinions on the gun; some love them and some truly hate them and think they're a waste of money. Handled the Rem and Bergara today and the Bergara seemed like it should be used primary as a bench gun. Am I wrong it that assessment? Any input would be appreciated.

And I think I have decided on the Trijicon Accupower 3-9x40, but wanted to see what people thought about it being paired with one the rifles mentioned above. Also, what reticle if I were to go with the Trijicon? MOA reticle?
    Last edited by hbrogers; 05-16-18 at 17:14.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    My thoughts;
    Of your rifle choices it would be the Tikka, or Bergara in that order.
    Their out of box accuracy and build quality are gonna be hard to beat.
    For optics I think you’ll regret a 3-9X.
    The 6.5 is a long range cartridge, as are the rifles I mentioned-which you spec’d.
    Something in the 3-15/5-20 something will be better at exploiting the 6.5’s and rifles capability.
    MOA or Mil are personal preference. Whatever you get, make certain you have Mil reticle/Mil clicks or MOA reticle/MOA clicks.
    My preference is Mil/Mil.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I purchased a Bergara HMR in 6.5 a couple days ago so that would be my recommendation. I strongly considered the Tikka CTR. I handled them both. I thought the Tikka action was slightly smoother but the HMR was not far behind and it has a better stock. Mags should be less expensive also.

Personally I wouldn't consider a Rem 700 if a comparable offering was available from Tikka or Bergara.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dmd08 View Post
    I purchased a Bergara HMR in 6.5 a couple days ago so that would be my recommendation. I strongly considered the Tikka CTR. I handled them both. I thought the Tikka action was slightly smoother but the HMR was not far behind and it has a better stock. Mags should be less expensive also.

Personally I wouldn't consider a Rem 700 if a comparable offering was available from Tikka or Bergara.
    What about the Rem 700 made you rule it out?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    My thoughts;
    Of your rifle choices it would be the Tikka, or Bergara in that order.
    Their out of box accuracy and build quality are gonna be hard to beat.
    For optics I think you’ll regret a 3-9X.
    The 6.5 is a long range cartridge, as are the rifles I mentioned-which you spec’d.
    Something in the 3-15/5-20 something will be better at exploiting the 6.5’s and rifles capability.
    MOA or Mil are personal preference. Whatever you get, make certain you have Mil reticle/Mil clicks or MOA reticle/MOA clicks.
    My preference is Mil/Mil.
    I appreciate the input.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Re. your 700 question-

The "out of box" accuracy and/or build quality are not comparable to either the Bergara or Tikka.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I read about the Rem 700s not being good all the time. But we've only come across one bad barrel in 300 wm. A guy at the range told us that if you see the digital markings under the bolt knob on the receiver, the gun was cnc'd on one machine... as opposed to earlier guns that moved from station to station. The latter being where a lot of problematic machining was done.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast