Thread: First AR Pistol on its way...keep or replace the A2?

Feedback Score

First AR Pistol on its way...keep or replace the A2?

I've got all of the components for my first AR pistol build on their way. It's a 10.5" barrel with a 10" Slim Keymod rail system. I know I'll need to shoot it first, but I've been reading up on Linear Comps in the event it's unbearably loud. The noise reports from 10.5", and similar length, barrels seem to be pretty subjective. So, again, I'll just have to shoot it. If I end up in the "too unpleasant to shoot camp", what are my best options for redirecting the sound/concussion? I've done searches and see there are favorable things to say about the KX3, KX5, Covert Comp, STD, Levang, & CQB. All seem to do pretty well for the blast, but which would provided the smallest compromise when it comes to flash suppression? Perhaps ammo selection is the most important factor in that regard? A can is out of the question for now, but will be more seriously considered of I choose to go the SBR route later down the road. So, simply put, what would you all go with for concussion and flash on a 10.5" barrel?
    Last edited by Kdubya; 06-21-16 at 22:51. Reason: Last word. It's a "barrel" not a "battle" lol
    "I actually managed to figure this one out: you've got to find a woman who loves God more than she loves you -- albeit just barely."

-Army Chief

I did not know the man quoted above, and joined this Forum after his passing. He seemed to be a leader of men; both spiritually and physically. Someone we'd all be proud to emulate.

Feedback Score
    Sounds like you've done all of the research. Best advice I can give is to try & find someone else near you with a similar Pistol build & shoot theirs. It will at least give you an idea on the blast & report from such a short barrel.

Feedback Score
    Thanks! I kind of take that as, "there is no perfect answer because there are too many variables; some of which are subjective." Good news is, the rifle came in yesterday and is all together today. Minus the BCG arriving tomorrow. So, looks like I'll have a chance to hear this puppy bark on Saturday!

On a somewhat related note, I can't believe I waited this long to put a pistol together. An AR in this compact package is pretty freaking awesome!
    "I actually managed to figure this one out: you've got to find a woman who loves God more than she loves you -- albeit just barely."

-Army Chief

I did not know the man quoted above, and joined this Forum after his passing. He seemed to be a leader of men; both spiritually and physically. Someone we'd all be proud to emulate.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kdubya View Post
    I've done searches and see there are favorable things to say about the KX3, KX5,
    i would recommend the other comps. the kx series is really designed to help woth back pressure on a badly build gas system.

you shouldnt need it, i would get one of the others

if you plan on suppressing ever buy the flash hider that has a flash comp attachment. many good silencer makers have them now
    this way you have a directional flash hider and not a "flaming pig"

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
    Last edited by daniel87; 06-21-16 at 23:11.

Feedback Score
    I saw that in Noveske's literature as well. The other options are more economical, so I certainly don't mind being advised to pass on the KX variety. Although, I won't write it off completely until I shoot it with the standard A2; as I suppose there is always a chance one might run into back pressure issues.

I do like the idea of selecting a Comp that can serve as a stopgap while the suppressor is on hold. Of those "convertable" models, is there one you'd regard as being the best choice? I'm thinking if I go that route I'll pour some research into supressors, try to decide on my preferred brand/model, and then make sure to select a Comp that would be compatible. Am I thinking into this too much, or would that be the right approach?

-Army Chief

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Fine, I'll do it.

A2 on SBR's. Done.