Thread: Pistol Grip options in a target grip style with palm base plate opinions

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Pistol Grip options in a target grip style with palm base plate opinions

I have been playing with an HK SR9t some recently that came equipped with the PSG1 lower, which includes the contoured wood grip and the lower palm shelf. Prior to this I had absolutely zero exposure to this type grip. That fat palm shelf always looked like it would be more trouble that it is worth and in the way.

I was extremely surprised at how comfortable it actually ended up being. It also does a great job of helping to relax the firing hand and to me I feel more consistent in my hand placement using it. A couple more added benefits being it seems to make the rifle a bit more stable when you leave it sitting on a mat or bench during a cold range situation with a bipod on the front end and it most definitely seems to increase the control I have over the more heavy rifles like the SR9t when doing things like a mag change. You really feel you have more control over the rifle for having that lower shelf on the pistol grip. I now see HK has introduced a modern version for the MR762 & MR556. Nill grips has also a unit for the AR FOW for some time also.

Does anyone have time on these style grips from back in the day up to present times to point out any possible cons of the grip or any pros I may have missed. I am also more interested in the higher quality units like the HK or Karl Nill. I believe Ergo makes something similar but don't know how durable or comparable that unit would be to the Nill/HK version. I can see not really needing one on a battle rifle, carbine, etc., but I am really liking it in a DMR/precision rifle capacity.

Just curious what the tribe has to say about them.

Thx in advance for your input.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Ergo does make a dollar grip. I've only ever used the Sierra Precision SPR grips, which is very large and has a thumb shelf. I think it's a great grip overall, even for my small hands. Hand size will come into play, as with a bigger grip, trigger contact moves closer to your fingertip which may or may not help.