Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Armalite's quality

Feedback Score
    I had an AR-10 "Infantry Rifle" maybe 13 (or more) years ago. It was the 20", fixed carry handle model. Wouldn't cycle for shit. Sent it back to Armalite and eventually talked to one of their armorers. He said the gun was designed to run exclusively with 168gr Match ammo! I was like "WTF?" So I'm supposed to buy high-end 168gr OTM ammo for this thing just for range plinking? I don't think so. Should be able to cycle 147gr FMJ fodder (not crappy steel-cased stuff, but Port surplus or Winnie White Box). Finally ended up putting an M-16 rifle spring in it instead of the AR-10 one and it ran fine. Go figure. I never fully trusted it after that and traded it in for another rifle.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter22 View Post
    Would that require a new lower?
    The upgrade package still uses the steel AR10 B style mags - the improvements are internal.

AR10B uppers and AR10A (KAC/PMAG) style uppers mad lowers are not interchangeable.

The Gen 2 mags are purpose built steel mags for the existing AR10B - different follower and possibly slightly different feed lips.

Gen 1 mags were M-14 mags converted by cutting a hole for the AR style mag catch and cutting off the tab at the rear of e mag for the M-14 mag catch.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    How I understand it, the current company I'd armalite in name only.

That said, they seem to make a solid gun, I've hear MD few complaints, and the ones I've seen seemed well built, but as said, a better gun can be had for similar price.
    Correct, just like Springfield Armory someone just bought the name.

Their 5.56 rifles are a lot better now. I haven't seen how well staked teh carrier key is but I see they even have 1/7 on the DEF model and lots of other things they didn't use to have or advertise. With 6920s so widely available now and affordable I just don't bother with any other 16" guns generally (though I did pick up an FN for a comparison). Funny, I remember when only a few dealers would have 6920s and they could be anywhere from 1299 to 1599. Ashamedly I think I even paid 1599 at the eight of the '08 panic once.
    Last edited by Falar; 06-30-16 at 17:23.

Feedback Score
    A local dealer was selling the Defender models for $449. I bought two - one front sight base model (that is F marked),and a slick top model. He was selling AR 10s for $750.
    I put a borrowed carry handle sight on the front sight model, cleaned and lubed per the manual, and shot the recommended 200 round break in with no issues that I can blame the gun on. Two failures to pick up a round from the mag - one my fault for not seating the magazine and the other is from a GI mag that I need to mark and keep an eye on.
    A Vortex SPARC AR is en route as a free promotional gift for buying the first rifle. It will go on the gas block rifle.
    A class or two with each rifle will let me know how I did. The owner’s manual states that the rifles are “mil spec. So far, I am very pleased.

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)

My AR10B is a blast to shoot. No problems, very reliable, plenty accurate, properly assembled. Sent it in for regular service a while back, and they did a great job.

Feedback Score
    Now that’s a real Armalite!

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I have a newer SPR Mod 1 marker m4 clone Armalite, it's the defender model. So far it's ran great but I just stated shooting it much. It's the center carbine,

carry1.jpg

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123