Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Armalite's quality

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JC5188 View Post
    I have an AR10, the quality of fit and finish is as good or better than my other rifles (LWRC, Colt), and has been a shooter.

You hear a lot of anti DPMS/Bushy, etc comments, but other than largely arbitrary columns on an old chart, I don't hear much negative about ArmaLite.

As far as their AR15 variants, if you're hung up on things like "TDP" and "Milspec", then maybe look elsewhere. But if you want a nicely done civi grade rifle I think they are fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ive heard a lot of claims, never seen any proof to all the talk.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I've had good experiences with their AR-10A's, albeit I have not gone to war or faced zombies with it, just range shooting and plinking (is it still called plinking when using a .308??).

I think they have a real niche winner with their AR-10A, but for an AR-15, they face a much more competitive field (I'm looking at you, BCM).

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    No time on an AR-10A, but I have an Armalite AR15 lower for a rainy day.

It looks okay. I haven't decided on an A2 or a Carbine upper for it. But everything appears dimensionally sound.

Just needs stock and upper. If I have an issue with the FCG, I'll just replace it with Colt FCG.

ETA. I had an AR-10B and it wasn't very good. The mags were picky. Retrofitted M-14 mags. I would've sooner lived with 10 round AR-10 Waffle style mags done right during any ban than those. When it would cycle, it was just junk.

No real time behind their complete M15 rifles but I don't mind having one of their lowers. Really wouldn't trust their barrels or their BCGs.
    Last edited by Firefly; 06-25-16 at 03:15.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    The 5.56 guns I have seen are mediocre and fall into the Bushmaster, Stag, Windham Crapponry category.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    The 5.56 guns I have seen are mediocre and fall into the Bushmaster, Stag, Windham Crapponry category.
    Double check the Defender15 series. A lot of Armalite's newer rifles (2015-current) are at least on the surface TDP compliant as far as they can be. The bolts and barrels are marked HPT/MPI, the RE's are mil-spec and 7075-T6, M4 feed ramps, 4150 CMV (unknown if it's certified), chrome lined etc. I've sold several of these guns and have seen them run in classes on a couple of occasions. They're way out ahead of Bushmaster et. al that are firmly entrenched in the commercial spec of AR's.
    In heavenly love abiding, no change my heart shall fear;
    and safe is such confiding, for nothing changes here:
    the storm may roar without me, my heart may low be laid;
    but God is round about me, and can I be dismayed?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonidas24 View Post
    Double check the Defender15 series. A lot of Armalite's newer rifles (2015-current) are at least on the surface TDP compliant as far as they can be. The bolts and barrels are marked HPT/MPI, the RE's are mil-spec and 7075-T6, M4 feed ramps, 4150 CMV (unknown if it's certified), chrome lined etc. I've sold several of these guns and have seen them run in classes on a couple of occasions. They're way out ahead of Bushmaster et. al that are firmly entrenched in the commercial spec of AR's.
    How are other key areas? Gas key staking, castle nut staking, f marked FSB, gas port size, what kind of buffer ships in it? Believe me, I'd love to see a legit quality rifle for around $700 but that's not really the case lately.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Livefreeordie92 View Post
    How are other key areas? Gas key staking, castle nut staking, f marked FSB, gas port size, what kind of buffer ships in it? Believe me, I'd love to see a legit quality rifle for around $700 but that's not really the case lately.
    Ill try to get photos of it when Im off lunch.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    In heavenly love abiding, no change my heart shall fear;
    and safe is such confiding, for nothing changes here:
    the storm may roar without me, my heart may low be laid;
    but God is round about me, and can I be dismayed?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by skp View Post
    Armalite sold the AR-15 design to Colt in the late 50s or early 60s and Eugene Stoner went to Colt in 1961. They also basically ceased operations for a couple of decades. Whatever knowledge about the AR-15 remained in the original company is long gone.

http://www.ocweekly.com/news/mysteri...g-tour-6482230

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    The current Armalite company based in IL is not the same Armalite which Stoner worked for, the original was a subsidiary of Fairchild - republic aircraft (same guys who designed and built the A-10).

Eagle arms owned the Armalite name for many years. In 1994, Mark Westrom purchased the Armalite name from Eagle Arms. They started making AR-15s and AR10-B's. Due to the 1994 federal Assault Weapons ban they decided to adapt the AR-10 to use modified M-14 magazines since there were significant stocks of "pre ban" M-14 mags.

Westrom is a retired U.S Army Ordnance officer (retired as Colonel ) and a high power rifle competitor on the all Army team. My understanding is Armalite under Westrom did the original work on mid length gas systems and like KAC developed an enhanced bolt for the AR system.

Here is an interesting interview with Col. Westrom:http://www.sadefensejournal.com/wp/?p=394

I believe Armalite subsequently bought Eagle arms with eagle being their budget/no frills line.

QC on the Armalite branded rifles I've seen is good but they are priced equals to or above Colts.

Westrom sold Armalite to SAC, which owns surgeon rifles and AWC back in 2013 but is stil involved with the company.

I have two 1990s/ AWB ban era Armalites, an AR10B and an AR-15T. Both have been reliable and accurate.

Re the AR-10B - Armalite has learn a bit over 20 years building these guns. For those who own older AR10B's the newer gen 2 mags run better than the old M-14 conversions. Armalite also offers an upgrade package for the older guns bringing them to current specs for about $150 - it's money well spent.
    Last edited by HCM; 06-25-16 at 18:24.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The current Armalite company based in IL is not the same Armalite which Stoner worked for, the original was a subsidiary of Fairchild - republic aircraft (same guys who designed and built the A-10).

Eagle arms owned the Armalite name for many years. In 1994, Mark Westrom purchased the Armalite name from Eagle Arms. They started making AR-15s and AR10-B's. Due to the 1994 federal Assault Weapons ban they decided to adapt the AR-10 to use modified M-14 magazines since there were significant stocks of "pre ban" M-14 mags.

Westrom is a retired U.S Army Ordnance officer (retired as Colonel ) and a high power rifle competitor on the all Army team. My understanding is Armalite under Westrom did the original work on mid length gas systems and like KAC developed an enhanced bolt for the AR system.

Here is an interesting interview with Col. Westrom:http://www.sadefensejournal.com/wp/?p=394

I believe Armalite subsequently bought Eagle arms with eagle being their budget/no frills line.

QC on the Armalite branded rifles I've seen is good but they are priced equals to or above Colts.

Westrom sold Armalite to SAC, which owns surgeon rifles and AWC back in 2013 but is stil involved with the company.

I have two 1990s/ AWB ban era Armalites, an AR10B and an AR-15T. Both have been reliable and accurate.

Re the AR-10B - Armalite has learn a bit over 20 years building these guns. For those who own older AR10B's the newer gen 2 mags run better than the old M-14 conversions. Armalite also offers an upgrade package for the older guns bringing them to current specs for about $150 - it's money well spent.

Would that require a new lower?
    Last edited by scooter22; 06-26-16 at 03:37.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast