Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Vltor A5 vs. Geissele Super 42, which is better?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wetidlerjr View Post
    I just installed one on a BCM carbine length gas 16" and it made a noticeable difference in recoil and smoothness compared to a BCM mid-length gas 16" with a standard H buffer and spring. I only shot about 60 rounds with it but I was impressed. This is, of course an "example of one" and will require much more use to make a definitive opinion but it looks promising. As always, YMMV. No opinion on the A5 system as I don't have one.
    Thanks! Now if only Geissele would make their spring in a rifle length version, preferably that worked with standard buffers.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wetidlerjr View Post
    I just installed one on a BCM carbine length gas 16" and it made a noticeable difference in recoil and smoothness compared to a BCM mid-length gas 16" with a standard H buffer and spring. I only shot about 60 rounds with it but I was impressed. This is, of course an "example of one" and will require much more use to make a definitive opinion but it looks promising. As always, YMMV. No opinion on the A5 system as I don't have one.
    How's that Geissele spring holding up? I'm thinking of picking one up for testing

Feedback Score
    I might have a few guns, but only one AR, rollmark not important. A normal 16" over gassed carbine made by the thousands. Over the years all parts have been changed except the receivers and RE.
    Trigger, bolt upgrades, and 14.5" barrel. I used parts from all the top names, BCM, Larue, Geissele, Colt and even Magpul. I needed a H buffer and bought the S42. A little over 600 rounds and
    the S42 does what it's suppose to. Ejection is 3 to 4:00 and have zero reliability issues. Somewhat pricey but I got it on sale for $55. Definitely quieter then stock, no twang. although that's not why
    I purchased this. As said, I needed a H buffer and I trust his products.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HansTheHobbit View Post
    I was already set to convert my carbine systems to A5, but then I saw the Geissele Super 42 braided spring and buffer. Does anyone have any opinions on which is the better system?
    I have the Geissele. It was an impulse buy. Honestly, your buffer set up doesn't really make that much of a difference over stock configurations IMO, unless your trying to address cycling issues. But, I will say the Super 42 does run nice and smooth; it's noticeable but not mind blowing. An important side note, if you DO buy the Geissele it's important to know that you must use their buffer/spring combo together and NOT swap their parts with standard AR buffer parts. Their spring has a smaller inside diameter than a standard buffer spring due to the braided wire, so the shoulder of the actual buffer is smaller as well to accommodate this. If you try to use, for example, a standard buffer with the Geissele spring it will be too tight due to the larger shoulder on standard buffers and cause friction in the buffer tube.

They have a video posted that explains all that stuff as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    If you care about how the events time, then there are considerations to look into. The Geissele set up and the Colt spring with the A5 time differently for many. If you look into those deeper, you could have a deeper understanding of those events.

Feedback Score
    I once took a stock colt 6920 with H2 buffer. And another 6920 with an A5 rec. extension with a H-0 installed and an extra H-3 buffer.

Shot the two guns back to back with the same ammo.

The one with the A5 tube shot the flattest with the H3 buffer installed. My red dot only moved about 2 inches at 25 yards and accurate rapid fire was much easier.

I've been sold on the A5 ever since. YMMV.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    I have the Super 42 setup in my 16" heavy mid build, so I thought I'd give my .02 cents. I've shot 250 rounds of mixed loads through it thus far. I've used XM193, CBC 77 gr. OTM, Hornady Superformance 75 gr, PMC Bronze, IMI 77 gr. razor core. I experienced feeding issues with the Hornady, but no issues with the other rounds listed. Ejection seems to be where it's supposed to be - near 4 O'clock. Recoil impulse feels normal, no better or worse than a standard carbine spring and buffer. As advertised it does eliminate the "boing" or "twang", so if quiet cycling is a priority you may want to give it a try. Overall I'm pretty happy with it, however I'm not entirely convinced it is worth spending the extra money over a standard set up. My advice is if you're thinking about using this setup, wait until it comes on sale during Black Friday. As an aside, I'm currently building a MK12 Mod 1 clone of sorts, and decided on a Vltor A5 setup as I wanted an adjustable buttstock. I'm hoping the rifle length gas system of the MK12 barrel will work well with the rifle like buffer system of the VLTOR A5.
    Last edited by Hammer_Man; 07-01-17 at 12:49.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Hammerman, I assure you the A5 will work with your SPR build, I have the same setup and I love it.

Feedback Score

Vltor A5 vs. Geissele Super 42, which is better?

I've been thinking about trying the A5 on an 18" rifle gas build. I had an A2 stock with rifle buffer and spring but switched to a carbine setup so I could use an enhanced SOPMOD stock. The rifle buffer and spring definitely shoots smoother than the carbine buffer and Sprinco blue that's in it now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    i'll add some unscientific observations as well. I've got two LMT MRPs that I like to run suppressed and unsuppressed.
    My 16" SS 5-r rifled one has always been significantly more overgassed when run suppressed. It was originally built with LMT's enhanced BCG, standard carbine buffer spring and an H buffer. As I started running more ammo like the CBC 77gr OTM and IMI 77gr OTM I started to get bolt over base malfunctions suppressed, and noted that ejection was like a dribble towards the front of the gun.
    I tried a sprinco red with an H buffer and finally said enough was enough, I tried the Gemtech SBC with a standard LMT bolt. Finally, a gun that felt like it was running ok suppressed. Even with the sprinco red and an H buffer. With PMC bronze .223 it felt like a kitten fart, and bordered on not fully cycling.
    I saw Geissele's product and figured I'd give it a shot. Same setup, LMT 16" SS 5-r rifled mid-length, AAC SPR/M4 suppressor, a Gemtech SBC with LMT bolt, and now the Geissele super 42 braided buffer setup and buffer.
    Gun actually felt smoother, and of course the action was easier to hand cycle compared to the sprinco red.

I got my other LMT finally set up as an SBR (12.5") and on first range session with a standard carbine buffer I thought it felt like too much recoil for the gun. I played with H through H3 buffers and finally felt that an H3 buffer tamed it the best. But running suppressed with the LMT e-carrier it still seemed like casings were flying too far forward and may indicate too high of a cyclic speed. On one range trip with an h2 buffer shooting PMC bronze .223 I had a failure to lock back suppressed while shooting controlled pairs. Never happened again over the course of 2-300 rounds. Hmm,oh well.
    Got another Geissele braided recoil setup and of course did not read the instructions. Popped a standard h2 buffer in the braided recoil spring, assembled, cycled, and started shooting to zero a new optic. About 10 rounds in I hit the bolt release, and note that it went forward rather sluggishly, and did not go in to battery. Cleared and emptied the gun, noting that hand cycling was difficult. Separated the upper and lower and the buffer was about a half in recessed in to the buffer tube and would not move. Finally got it out of there and realized the mistake. Someone already mentioned it but the ID of the braided buffer spring is small than a standard spring, a few cycles from actual firing and the braided buffer spring will make itself fit around a standard buffer, but the pointy end of the spring will start raking the inside of your buffer tube. Not a good recipe.
    Put the included Geissele buffer back in and fire it suppressed and unsuppressed the rest of the range session. Zeroed irons and two optics and no malfunctions from PMC .223 through CBC 77gr OTM. Need to fire it a bunch more to make some better observations.

I'm still curious if a Vltor a5 setup wouldn't serve me better but I'll keep with the pair of Geissele's for now.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast