Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DPMS AP4 or is there something better?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

DPMS AP4 or is there something better?

I am looking for a M4 Style Carbine. I had a Bushmaster but it had a heavy barrel and made it too heavy. I want something light enough that I wouldn't mind carry it through the thick bush of North Carolina.

I like the DPMS cause of the custom features on it. Titanium nitride bolt carrier, Adjustable trigger, cryogenic accurizing which I not sure if it is a gimmick or what, Chrome lined bore and chamber. What I want to know is there another company that makes a more robust M4 that I can get these features on. Opinions please.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I been reading since this post and found LMT. Their site has Upper and Lowers but not complete rifles. I would think they could build what I want couldn't they?

Feedback Score
    DPMS is the absolute dead LAST rifle I'd ever buy......well, maybe not...i MIGHT get one over an Olympic.

buy crap, buy twice. spend the extra money. it'll pay off....

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=6642

Feedback Score

Arrow there are a number of very nice government profile options

there are a number of good options for a m4 profile set up.

i picked up a charles daly d4mLE upper the other day added a lmt bolt carrier group and have been one happy camper.

as far as titanium bolt carriers go that is a waste of $$$ and i also give mixed marks to the cryo treatments. adjustable triggers--i give a 50/50--ok if you want it. but on my ar-types i am running the single stage stock triggers and i find they do very well. not worth the hassle factor for me. invest in a good bolt carrier group like a BCM or LMT.

the last DPMS rifles that i have messed with were pretty good shooters. a lot of people on this board will knock them down though.

there are lots of things to buy for an AR--but the AR is a fairly proven platform to start with. if your not careful and don't know what you want to start with you can end up spending way more than needed on things that arn't helpful at all.

have you considered building what you want ??? it may cost a little more but it can eliminate buying and swapping stuff out---

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Welcome!

You wanna talk with Grant at G&R Tactical. He can fix you up with a complete LMT and modifiy it to your desires. I suggest calling him or posting to his dealer forum here as I have found that the best way to get in touch with him. You may also want to consider a BCM (Bravo Company) upper if he still has any available. Either the LMT or the BCM will be WAY ahead of the DPMS. He can also hook you up with a Colt 6920 (civy 16" version of the M4). All of these would be wonderful rifles and capable of handling anything you can throw at them.

See also "the Chart". It will help educate you on the differences between rifles produced by different manufacturers.

There is alot to read here, so be patient and read. Especially the tacked threads like the chart one. Then ask away. People here can be blunt. And their answers may not be what you want to hear. But they are honest, and genuinely want to see you get good gear, and the best value for your money.

Good luck, and enjoy your new rifle.

-RD62

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I can handle people being blunt just as long as they are Honest. Looks like everything I have read LMT would be the way to go for me. I talked to my good friend bgoode a little bit ago and he was telling about his LMT he just got. He told me about it before but I forget who made it. The one he has is in my price range also.

Since I live in NC that has A LOT of thick brush I don't need alot of attachments. The less I have on it the less that can be ripped off by veins and briars. LOL We were talking about what barrel length I should get also. 14.5" with pinned flash or 16". I have shots around here that can go out to 500-600 yards easy. Even with a 16" barrel I wouldn't try to make 500 or 600 yard shot unless I needed to.

The average shot would be around 200-300 yards. Yes I plan to hunt with it and carry when ever I am in the woods. I don't dog hunt either. I either still hunt or track. I know most people would tell me to get a hunting rifle if I was going to hunt. I say where is the fun in that.

Feedback Score
    If maneuverability in brush is a concern, get the 14.5"w/ pinned flash suppressor. Short and light is where it's at, the extra inch and a half of barrel isn't going to make a noticeable difference in performance under field conditions.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I will talk to Grant about that. I hope I can get the rifle before hunting season goes out this year. So pics of a LMT in the field taking Deer would be cool.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Glad to see you here buddy! You can some good info here. Grant will hook you up with what you need. I am WAY happy with my LMT and to be honest would love a closet full!! Its true milspec and robust. Changing the grip out as soon as I get it from Grant. At least get the lower from Grant till you figure out the upper.

Feedback Score
    I just ordered an LMT lower from Grant. You will be happy with LMT, based on all the feedback around here. This is my first LMT purchase. I am still deciding on an upper to go with it, but the short list will be:

Noveske N4 Light Low Profile 14.5 with pinned vortex
    BCM 16" midlength gas system
    LMT 16"

Don't rush into anything. Look around for a week or so to learn about the different options you may choose for rails, grips, stocks, etc.
    NRA, SAF, MSI, and JPFO Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast