Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Datapoints regarding wear

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

Datapoints regarding wear

After roughly 5,000 rounds, mostly suppressed, on my 16.1" DDM4 middy w/CHF Chrome-lined .gov profile barrel...I tore it down a bit...

-the gas tube "mushroom" measures 0.174". The new replacement is 0.18". At 0.174", the "mushroom" barely snags a fingernail. Wear was pretty even, with very slight bias to one side covering a distance of maybe 2 hours on a clock-face. Very very subtle bias.

-After roughly 2500 rounds (mostly suppressed) on my Azimuth QPQ carrier, the gas-rings showed zero wear to the "aspect" of the ring, ie. no material was missing from oscillating within the carrier, however, compared to new Colt mil-spec rings, they had "compressed" by roughly 0.005" when measured in full diameter once removed from the bolt.

-The gas port was spec'ed at 0.073" to me by DD, however, I think +- .001" is surely within spec. Pin gauges show it to be between 0.0735" and 0.0745" (my 0.074 gauge has not arrived yet).

-Within the last several hundred rounds, I fired a <1.5 MOA 10-shot group with this rifle using 75gr Gold Dot ammunition and a 4x optic at 100 yards.

-I have used so many buffer extractor and ejector spring combo's that I have nothing to report, here.

-The Surefire 556-212 has suffered 1 baffle strike, affecting several baffles and the end-cap, very minor. I do not know what caused it, and aside from visual, there are no symptoms of it happening either when it occurred, or later.

-The Surefire 556-212a muzzle-device has eroded between the tines so that the once "rounded scoops" nearest the end of the muzzle device now resemble garden spades. This erosion is MUCH less than I noted on my Noveske, with its 14.5" barrel after similar round-count. That 1.6" of barrel made a huge difference, here.

-I have no way to measure rifling, but I can still clearly see where each land begins, although they don't begin as "crisply" as they once did.

-If there is anything else you want mic'ed or gauged, let me know before I put it back together.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Great info. Thanks for taking the time to mic everything and report.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Can you mic the "ring" on the bolt between the gas rings and the lugs? (When inserting the bolt into the carrier, this "ring" is what will catch on the carrier) I have no idea what the proper name for it is .
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Can you mic the "ring" on the bolt between the gas rings and the lugs? (When inserting the bolt into the carrier, this "ring" is what will catch on the carrier) I have no idea what the proper name for it is .
    This? I think the proper nomenclature for it is the ".528" diameter", or "datum -F-"

Last edited by lysander; 06-28-16 at 16:13.

Feedback Score
    This could lead into an interesting conversation on that. Look into the carrier bolt bores. There are a few opinions about that interaction.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    It measures 0.528"

Feedback Score
    That diameter would be expected for an overall highest diameter.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Bearing surface?
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Yeah whatever that is,

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Yeah whatever that is,
    I'm sure IG will digitally smack me if I'm wrong (I've been through his course) but I believe what you're feeling catch is the gas rings themselves being compressed by the step inside the carrier.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast