Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Datapoints regarding wear

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    It's one of the most consistent ways to track use.
    So...does that look like about 5k rounds?

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    So...does that look like about 5k rounds?
    Yes.
    Nothing abnormal or excessive.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Yes.
    Nothing abnormal or excessive.
    Cool. If I'd known, I'd have taken pictures every 500 rounds.

Feedback Score
    It's one of the most consistent ways to track use.
    Not being funny, dead serious...

Do you mean it's like looking at a horse's teeth to determine approximate age?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JC5188 View Post

Don't look a gift rifle in the cam-pin pocket!

Feedback Score
    lol...good one

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JC5188 View Post
    As I know pretty much nothing about horses, or why they seem to be so elusive about their age; and I assume that you are saying that it is an imperfect observation that doesn't really give any information other than roughly how many meals have occurred, then yes.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Heh.
    Well played.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    I wouldn't concern myself with an example of one that would not be considered abnormal. Wear is going to happen with use and is normal.
    What concerns me more are signs of excessive and/or abnormal wear.
    A more boring subject could be examining the different wear traits. Different variants of the same base receiver do not act the same in this aspect. Some wear evidence tends to lead to use by different traits of their operating system. It doesn't take long to go into minutia when you look into the variable stack up. For the most in operation, there is little issue.

Feedback Score
    Looking at this in a very basic way. When the round fires, the carrier is preloaded by the magazine tension upwards. The carrier is preloaded with the the hammer forward, the action spring tension stays forward pretty much during this initial cycle portion with its respected values. During initial carrier movement rearward, magazine tension remains, the hammer tension begins to move its force from forward to upward. After a short carrier movement rearward, caming to unlock the bolt results in a torsional twist in opposition to the loading. The amount of twist or torsional tension can depend on how much force is required to operate the system. The system loses magazine preload upwards after it passes the magazine. The carrier maintains a preload from the hammer/spring force upwards, until the hammer movement is captured by the disconnect, ideally this would happen within the carrier ramp, but it tends not to in high speed video showing positive disconnect retention in too many late. Neither are equal across the the entire section of the carrier. The result is a "tilted" preload. Going forward, initially the bolt catches a new round, the caming resists with a torsional twist upon the carrier. The carrier has a "twist" that continues through feeding through the magazine. Evidence shows that there can be a slight reduction in torsional tension from the time the round clears the magazine lips to initiate locking, that time is minimal, but can exist. The locking of the bolt, with the magazine tension applied adds both a torsional and upward tension. When the system is "at rest" and ready maintains preload from the magazine and action spring.
    Not really simplistic, but that's about as simplistic as it get when looking into tensions that may induce a wear pattern into this system.
    An M16A2, M4, MK18, and other variants all have the same basic signs, but they are not the same overall

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast