Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So who has ever actually used a rifle in self defense?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    6 (88%)

So who has ever actually used a rifle in self defense?

Mods: If this thread is in the wrong place, please move it accordingly. I know not everyone is allowed to post in GD, so I figured this would be the next best place.

I wanted to see how many people here have ever used a rifle in a defensive situation? Whether it was a home break in, or a time when a "trunk gun" was used.

I understand that this may be a sensitive topic, and you don't have to go into details. If the idea of this thread is bad altogether, then mods please shut it down. I don't want anyone getting in trouble.

I see many posts from members about times when they had to produce a carry handgun in different situations, but never anything where a rifle was involved.

I don't want to step on any toes or ruffle anyone's feathers, but it makes me wonder how crucial is rifle training for non mil/Leo vs pistol training? I'm not implying that people stop taking carbine classes altogether. It's just that I often see people mentioning how they signed up for their Nth carbine class. In other words, they devote a lot of time and money to learning the AR, but how well do they shoot pistol?

Assuming that realistically we're more likely to use a handgun?

Again, I'm not saying that carbines are not worth the investment of training, but where do you split your time and money? Or do you find that carbine training should be prioritized?

This is not necessarily only directed to non mil/Leo shooters, but for the sake of the question let's say that you're paying for your own weapons, ammo, and training.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Excluding military contact... I've used a shotgun as a civilian but if I had a rifle I would have used that. Luckily didn't have to shoot the guy and he took off at the sight of the (relatively) shiny 870 Marine Magnum.

Feedback Score
    Never had to use a firearm to defend myself. I train mostly pistol, but I do train with the rifle. Keep peace by preparing for war. Learning to use a carbine effectively can be beneficial for more than just self defense. Its also fun.

Feedback Score
    The only time I have ever fired a rifle (any weapon) at a person was in Iraq. Yes, it was a rifle. (M4) I carry a 1911 for the simple reason that if I walked around with a rifle slung over my shoulder (even a lever gun) I'd get the cops called on me every time I left the house. Same reason that most of the time I carry, it's concealed. The only time I open carry is if I want to dress nice. (shirt tucked in) Too bad society has such an evil view of rifles. I feel more safe with one because they hit harder, and I'm a better shot with one. I think training with both is crucial, but If I ever get to choose, I'm reaching for the rifle.
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    I have, at my (previous) home. A woman was shot in my front yard and I ended up killing her attacker with my AR. I carry a pistol all the time, but was glad to have a rifle available (and a good bit of training to go with it). I wouldn't overlook the rifle as a viable home defense option. I made that decision a long time ago and it ended up being the right call for me.

I was cleared, by the way. No arrest, no charge. Lengthy, stressful investigation though. And I lost my rifle for six months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    OCONUS only.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by zk556x45 View Post
    I have, at my (previous) home. A woman was shot in my front yard and I ended up killing her attacker with my AR. I carry a pistol all the time, but was glad to have a rifle available (and a good bit of training to go with it). I wouldn't overlook the rifle as a viable home defense option. I made that decision a long time ago and it ended up being the right call for me.

I was cleared, by the way. No arrest, no charge. Lengthy, stressful investigation though. And I lost my rifle for six months.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Very interested to hear as much about this as you are willing to discuss.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    This is an interesting topic. I have never used a firearm for self defense at all. But i have always trained just to be ready all the time. Yes, I too carry every day. 2 Pistols and my carbine when i go out of town.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Thanks for sharing.
    Very interested to hear as much about this as you are willing to discuss.
    I can share some context here, other questions are probably best left for PM, but we can see how that goes.

Short version of the facts: About 9:00am on a Tuesday I was home getting ready to go into work (later than normal) when a vehicle crashed into a telephone pole outside of my home. I don't think I actually heard the crash. I did hear the distinct "pop" of a pistol being fired though. Apparently a man and woman (related) were arguing in a car as they were driving down my street. At some point male passenger draws a gun - maybe shoots the female driver inside the car? - and causes the crash. Their conflict spills out into the yard with her screaming for help as he continued to threaten her life (she was already shot once at this point). Anyway, long story very, very short, I grabbed my BCM and confronted him. I came around a vehicle that was between us, told him to drop the gun, he raised his gun at me and I shot him three times. ME report confirms one impact upper right abdomen under his right pectoral and two in the upper left chest. Those three rounds immediately took him out of the fight (crumpled, dropped his gun) but it took a while for him to let go. First responders arrived shortly after it was over and worked on him in the yard for a bit before he passed. Female victim survived with one gunshot wound to her leg. Male shooter fired a total of 3-4 shots outside the vehicle, one went through my neighbor's living room while she and her baby daughter were inside. Others struck parked cars.

16" rifle was zero'd for 55g FMJ and that's what was in the gun from training two days before, so that's what I used. Approximately 12-15' away from shooter when I fired. One exit wound. FMJ worked, but I've switched to 77g OTM for HD rifle ammunition for reasons that we can discuss in PM. Investigation took two months - they took something like 11 statements from witnesses, one of whom was apparently narrating the whole thing to a 911 operator. Accounts were consistent with each other and with mine and there were no charges filed.

Personally, the whole experience sucked. Having to be that violent in/around your "safe space"/home sucks. Taking life sucks. Moving sucks. The impact on your marriage sucks. The whole thing sucks - which, incidentally, is why it pisses me off when people talk a really big game about "smoking dudes," online and otherwise. I know a lot of guys on here have walked that road (some several or even many times) in the line of their work. I don't hear much bravado and cavalier talk from those guys. Seems like it's the internet commandos who've never seen a live person beyond their sights that tend to want to run their mouths about things they know nothing about. Anyway, that turned into a rant. So it goes.

I'll try to answer other questions in PM or in-person if there are any.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Holy crap! Sorry to hear that, but glad that it was justified and made the situation right (as right as it could be having to actually use your training and firearms against another person). I pray this never happens to me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast