Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: So who has ever actually used a rifle in self defense?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ubet View Post
    Was leaving Walmart late one night, had just gotten my carry permit a couple months before. Walking through the parking lot three guys sort of fanned out and were keeping pace with me, following me. I walked until we were all clear of people then stopped and turned towards them. As I did I flipped my coat back and grabbed my pistol. They luckily all turned and scrammed and thankfully I didn't have to draw.

Was in Boise two Februarys ago, some big outdoor shopping complex, with my wife and some of her family. I'd wandered off by myself being bored. Their were two banger looking guys I noticed shadowing me. I'd cross the street so would they. Each time I went around a blind corner, they would be closer and gaining on me after they'd turned it. But by the time I'd really started to notice, I was sort of out of the shops and away from people. I'd make a corner they'd gain on me. So I just kept moving away around the building until I found a spot that I couldn't really go any further. When I'd made the last corner, I'd sped up putting distance between us. When they turned it they had a wall directly behind them and we're walking real fast. Their was zero reason any of us should be there. I turned and grabbed my 1911, I was open carrying. As I did it they stopped looked at each other then ran towards a car across the parking lot and left in a hurry.

I know you'd ask about rifles, but thought I'd share anyways.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    That was an excellent story ubet. I am surprised, though I shouldn't be, that your open carry 1911 didn't give the miscreants pause to begin with. Unless they didn't spot it on you, but hard to reason that as they followed you for so long, and sizing you up for the entire time.

I have a similar story in a Home Depot parking lot at night. Shopping with the same mom, as we were pushing our purchases, via the orange shopping cart towards my truck, my mom was blabbering/nagging about something as moms do. I am usually aware of my surroundings....no Spiderman action hero mind you, just more aware than the usual person. Well as my mom was giving me an earful, I was trying to tell her to wait til we got in the car to continue her nagging as this Home Depot was in the sketchier part of town. As we got closer to my truck, which I always park as far away from other vehicles and thereby the store entrance to avoid door dings, I notice two unsavory males closing the angle on us. As I park the way I do, there are NO other vehicles near my truck where these two men could be going to. I stepped away from my mom and stood my ground face to face. I guess the suddeness of my action surprised them and they broke off and veered away, without saying a word. BTW, I was armed with a G19, which I didn't even get to place my hand on. That incident REALLY spooked me because my mom soo distracted me, that I didn't notice the two guys until they were almost on top of us.

Back to my mom..... once we got into my truck, I told her about the two guys and how close we came to something bad...... she shrugged momentarily and continued the aforementioned nagging.

I have other handgun stories too, but I gave my one long gun story as that is what the OP requested. Presumably to compare the usefulness/frequency of SD long guns usage if any, to the obviously more common handgun usage.

My take on this thread? With current societal norms...... long gun SD use should be fine in the home, justified in the field (i.e. hunting, on the farm) against two-legged or four-legged threats. Other than that, unless there is a "true" SHTF, forget the Red Dawn, zapping zombies in the middle of an urban city in broad daylight scenarios. Even with the eventual AND unavoidable uptick in future Orlando-type scenarios.

For the most part, concealed handguns will rule. This was so explained and recommended by an blogger named FerFAL who lived through post-2001 financial collapse Argentina. And FerFAL owned a real 7.62mm FAL.

But a handgun is no invisible force field. Situational awareness (earlier, the better) TRUMPS ALL. But you guys BETTER get good with the handguns.
    Last edited by G19A3; 07-06-16 at 15:36.

Feedback Score
    Zk556x45 hit on what is rarely ever mentioned; the aftermath. Not the investigation, what happens in the rest of you life. It's been a long time since I've even seen it mentioned in print.
    You take a life to save a life(es), but your wife, or your kids saw the whole thing, or maybe just heard it from the next room. They, and the neighbors, see you much differently now. Often, families come apart, have to move, etc.
    I think I can get over in my mind that in the end, there was no other choice, but I wouldn't want to lose my family over it. This is a big reason why I hope I don't have to pull the trigger.
    That said, I've had my handgun in my hand once, and my hand on it, starting to draw it two other times. My wife was present each time, and the kids were present the time I actually had the pistol out.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk
    NRA Life, SASS#40701, Glock Advanced Armorer
    Gunsmith for Unique Armament Creations LLC, 07/SOT

VIGILIA PRETIUM LIBERTATIS

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Interesting stories. Thanks guys.
    Last edited by Pilot1; 07-06-16 at 10:04.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ubet View Post
    Was leaving Walmart late one night, had just gotten my carry permit a couple months before. Walking through the parking lot three guys sort of fanned out and were keeping pace with me, following me. I walked until we were all clear of people then stopped and turned towards them. As I did I flipped my coat back and grabbed my pistol. They luckily all turned and scrammed and thankfully I didn't have to draw.

Was in Boise two Februarys ago, some big outdoor shopping complex, with my wife and some of her family. I'd wandered off by myself being bored. Their were two banger looking guys I noticed shadowing me. I'd cross the street so would they. Each time I went around a blind corner, they would be closer and gaining on me after they'd turned it. But by the time I'd really started to notice, I was sort of out of the shops and away from people. I'd make a corner they'd gain on me. So I just kept moving away around the building until I found a spot that I couldn't really go any further. When I'd made the last corner, I'd sped up putting distance between us. When they turned it they had a wall directly behind them and we're walking real fast. Their was zero reason any of us should be there. I turned and grabbed my 1911, I was open carrying. As I did it they stopped looked at each other then ran towards a car across the parking lot and left in a hurry.

I know you'd ask about rifles, but thought I'd share anyways.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    Are you sure the guys in Boise weren't just trying to take a moment to talk about our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ? All jokes aside, I am glad nothing else came of either of your experiences.

There is some fantastic knowledge, and teachable moments here in this thread. Thanks for sharing your stories everyone.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    Greetings Moderators,

Any possibility that this thread can be moved to General Discussion or another area more frequented?

This thread has excellent possibilities.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by G19A3 View Post
    Greetings Moderators,

Any possibility that this thread can be moved to General Discussion or another area more frequented?

This thread has excellent possibilities.
    PM sent.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234