Thread: Looking for a .300 Remington Ultra Magnum...advice?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

Looking for a .300 Remington Ultra Magnum...advice?

Bolt guns are not my wheel house. I am looking for a .300 RUM. Quality and price are of equal importance, and usage will likely be very minimal, with the optic costing no more than half of whatever the rifle does, if that. This is not for me. This is for a friend. They will NOT be swayed on caliber, so let's save bandwidth and we will all collectively grit our teeth. I looked for Savage, and the Ruger American Rifle, but neither are in that chambering. ANything else along those lines?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    With 300 RUM being a fairly new (<20 yrs old) cartridge, chances are Remington is the only company offering factory rifles in that chambering. That said, they are selling the 700 LR, 700 sps and 700 sendero in that cartridge. The SPS is going to be your budget offering and remington has a $75 rebate on the rifles currently (have to purchase by July 8th I believe).

Feedback Score
    I have a Remington 700 Long Range in 7 Rem Mag, and it has been a great gun. Good accuracy, decent action, heavy barrel, and great B&C M40 stock right out of the box. In my opinion, it's about the best bang for the buck if you want a factory gun with a nice stock and heavy barrel for under $700. You get a lot of great features without paying the 'custom build' price tag, and they come in 300 RUM. That would be my first suggestion based on your description of what your friend wants.

Here is a link for a new one in 300 RUM for $649: https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...ducts_id/79959

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by B Cart View Post
    I have a Remington 700 Long Range in 7 Rem Mag, and it has been a great gun. Good accuracy, decent action, heavy barrel, and great B&C M40 stock right out of the box. In my opinion, it's about the best bang for the buck if you want a factory gun with a nice stock and heavy barrel for under $700. You get a lot of great features without paying the 'custom build' price tag, and they come in 300 RUM. That would be my first suggestion based on your description of what your friend wants.

Here is a link for a new one in 300 RUM for $649: https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...ducts_id/79959
    I have this rifle in 7mag as well. Bedded the recoil lug, added a timney 517, and a bolt knob in my garage. I don't want to quote group size but it is a legit sub moa 5 shot rifle. I had it out to 1320 yards back in April and I did not feel at a disadvantage over a couple of the guys with semi custom rifles. I don't see the ultra mag being any different. The scope for half the price of the rifle might present challenges though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkansas Bob View Post
    I have this rifle in 7mag as well. Bedded the recoil lug, added a timney 517, and a bolt knob in my garage. I don't want to quote group size but it is a legit sub moa 5 shot rifle. I had it out to 1320 yards back in April and I did not feel at a disadvantage over a couple of the guys with semi custom rifles. I don't see the ultra mag being any different. The scope for half the price of the rifle might present challenges though. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I agree about the accuracy and your scope statement. My gun is a sub MOA gun as well (I also added a timney and a bolt knob, and I actually put mine in an XLR Element chassis).

As for a scope, I shoot a lot of long range and I hold firmly to the opinion that good glass is much more important than the rifle, and you should plan to spend 2x the rifle cost on glass. I'm also a realist and understand that not everyone can drop $1,500-$4,000 on a scope, so there are some pretty good options out there for budget guns. For the OP: let us know how much your friend is able to spend on the scope and i'm sure many on here can give some good recommendations.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Thanks, all! This is for a female friend who approached me about the rifle as a gift for someone. I forwarded her the suggestions, and think I've given her enough. I don't want to create more stress with bombardment. I am thinking the optic is the gift-receiver's problem to sort out.

Feedback Score
    That's a lot of rifle.

A lot.

However, if one cannot sway you from the intended path, I'd say a 700 in some variant would be the way to go.

Guns like this ain't cheap. The base rifle isn't too bad. The ammo will sting a bit. But putting sub standard optics on it defeats the purpose of owning a rifle with that capability.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    That's a lot of rifle.

A lot.

However, if one cannot sway you from the intended path, I'd say a 700 in some variant would be the way to go.

Guns like this ain't cheap. The base rifle isn't too bad. The ammo will sting a bit. But putting sub standard optics on it defeats the purpose of owning a rifle with that capability.
    It's not my intended path. It's the path of someone who is buying it for someone who REFUSES to be swayed. It will likely get a Burris at best. I accept no responsibility for the situation. I was just tasked to find a cheap rifle in an exotic caliber, specifically, 300RUM

Feedback Score
    Understood.

I did not mean to malign you or the cartridge. It's a honey in the right hands. I did read that the rifle was for someone else.

To be honest, I could not say if any maker other than Remington chambers this cartridge. If I'm not mistaken, it is based off of a 404 Jeffrey cartridge with a rebated rim to utilize a standard magnum bolt face.

In other words, kinda specialized.

Should your friend get the rifle she wants, best of luck to her and the intended recipient.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    Understood.

I did not mean to malign you or the cartridge. It's a honey in the right hands. I did read that the rifle was for someone else.

To be honest, I could not say if any maker other than Remington chambers this cartridge. If I'm not mistaken, it is based off of a 404 Jeffrey cartridge with a rebated rim to utilize a standard magnum bolt face.

In other words, kinda specialized.

Should your friend get the rifle she wants, best of luck to her and the intended recipient.
    Even the female gifting it understands that it's an absurd choice, but a gift is intended to make the other happy, sometimes, not necessarily to make sense, lol!