Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta 1301 tactical question

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    (disclaimer: I'm one of the previously mentioned people from a thread on another forum making aftermarket parts to address this problem)

I know that it's enough of an issue for police departments to put off going to 1301s until it is addressed, which it is being addressed.

I do agree that the issue is largely mitigated through proper handling and a good understanding of the manual of arms for the 1301. The only times I've heard of people haveing the malfunction when they didn't intentionally do it were people fairly new to the gun and not 100% familiar with the function. Then again, having a gun in confined spaces (police cruiser) leads to all kinds of bumps that could cause the issue and the user wouldn't even know it).

That being said, I feel a lot more at ease using a 1301 for home defense with the solution to keep Murphy out of the question add much as possible.
    Last edited by SpyderMan2k4; 07-20-16 at 07:53.
    Owner of Aridus Industries. Creator of the Q-DC, CROM, ASA, and other fun shotgun things.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SpyderMan2k4 View Post
    (disclaimer: I'm one of the previously mentioned people from a thread on another forum making aftermarket parts to address this problem)

I know that it's enough of an issue for police departments to put off going to 1301s until it is addressed, which it is being addressed.

I do agree that the issue is largely mitigated through proper handling and a good understanding of the manual of arms for the 1301. The only times I've heard of people haveing the malfunction when they didn't intentionally do it were people fairly new to the gun and not 100% familiar with the function. Then again, having a gun in confined spaces (police cruiser) leads to all kinds of bumps that could cause the issue and the user wouldn't even know it).

That being said, I feel a lot more at ease using a 1301 for home defense with the solution to keep Murphy out of the question add much as possible.

Police departments don't let officers have AR's because they cannot trust them. In other instances, PD's that get the free M16's modify them for SA only (as they cannot trust their officers with a FA gun). Why? Training.

I am a capitalist. If you can get someone to buy your product (whether it is needed or not), then go for it! I wish you the best of luck…

C4

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I looked hard at the 1301. It's an otherwise great shotgun at a very cost-effective price point, but IMHO has a significant design flaw and I ultimately went with the Benelli M2 Tactical. The double-feed issue on the 1301 is more than just a training or technique issue because if it happens, the gun is out of action until the shooter employs the cumbersome and perishable technique of clearing this particular malfunction. I saw that malfunction happen to a very experienced 3-gun shooter. No thanks. I've been very pleased with the Benelli, although I did have to apply a couple of mods to optimize it for 3-gun, adding to its already-elevated price point. If it wasn't for the double-feed issue, I think the 1301 would be a no-brainer.

Last edited by Hmac; 07-20-16 at 09:40.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    I looked hard at the 1301. It's an otherwise great shotgun at a very cost-effective price point, but IMHO has a significant design flaw and I ultimately went with the Benelli M2 Tactical. The double-feed issue on the 1301 is more than just a training or technique issue because if it happens, the gun is out of action until the shooter employs the cumbersome and perishable technique of clearing this particular malfunction. I saw that malfunction happen to a very experienced 3-gun shooter. No thanks. I've been very pleased with the Benelli, although I did have to apply a couple of mods to optimize it for 3-gun, adding to its already-elevated price point. If it wasn't for the double-feed issue, I think the 1301 would be a no-brainer.

I was at shotgun CQB class. A very experienced SG guy was using an 870 in the class. As he cleared a room with multiple threats, he short stroked the 870. This caused him to crush an empty hull in the chamber while trying to load a new shell. This COMPLETELY shut the gun down and he had to FULLY disassemble the 870 to get it back up and running.

Because of the above, I have deemed the 870 not suitable for defensive use. Remington also has yet to "acknowledge" that this is a design flaw (that the pump can be short stroked).

C4

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    I was at shotgun CQB class. A very experienced SG guy was using an 870 in the class. As he cleared a room with multiple threats, he short stroked the 870. This caused him to crush an empty hull in the chamber while trying to load a new shell. This COMPLETELY shut the gun down and he had to FULLY disassemble the 870 to get it back up and running.

Because of the above, I have deemed the 870 not suitable for defensive use. Remington also has yet to "acknowledge" that this is a design flaw (that the pump can be short stroked).

C4
    True story. I've got an above average number of rounds through shotguns and taken more than a few classes, and I will still short stroke from time to time... A lot more frequently than I've had malfunctions with the 1301.
    Owner of Aridus Industries. Creator of the Q-DC, CROM, ASA, and other fun shotgun things.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SpyderMan2k4 View Post
    True story. I've got an above average number of rounds through shotguns and taken more than a few classes, and I will still short stroke from time to time... A lot more frequently than I've had malfunctions with the 1301.
    I have always held the opinion that a QUALITY auto-loading SG is a much better choice for defensive purposes than a pump SG.

C4

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post

C4

Yeah, I've never been a fan of pump shotguns either.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Can the Beretta shotguns not be "ghost loaded" ( not sure if the proper terminology, but we were always told a shell could be loaded onto the carrier of the M4 Benelli after the tube was stuffed)?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason0311 View Post
    Can the Beretta shotguns not be "ghost loaded" ( not sure if the proper terminology, but we were always told a shell could be loaded onto the carrier of the M4 Benelli after the tube was stuffed)?
    The 1301 cannot be ghost loaded (have a shell on the lifter AND have the tube full). If it can be done, I sure haven't figured out how to do it.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    I have a Beretaa 1301 on the way. I've also got an Aridus mag release button doodad on the way as well. I've got a pair of shotgun glasses scheduled this fall. I'll report back how it does, and do an AAR on both classes.

Grant, I need to order yet another Aimpoint from ya for this shotgun. I will tell you folks, dropping an Aimpoint Micro on a good shotgun almost makes it seem like cheating!

And I am pretty good with an 870, but have still short-stroked it under pressure. That's why I really want to try this 1301. Every system has design parameters and an operational envelope. The trick is to polish your skills to excel within them.

By the way, SpyderMan2k4 has very good customer service and great comms.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast